Why haven't any vintage Mercedes diesel fans picked this up yet?

I had a 240d with 67 hp. In my sedate exurban environment, I would pull up to a 4 way stop sign. No joke, when I accelerated, floored, in first gear, other cars couldn't tell if I was taking my turn, eg, moving! And this was with fresh filters, valves adjusted, in a decent set of tune.

w123s with great parts support were selling for $1000 for a while-- this thing is uglier, quirkier, and slower.

Who cares what the 0-60 is?
Those who have to merge onto 60mph roads that often have traffic above that?

I get it, it can be done, and its a classic car, enjoy it as it is. No way I’d use it near rush hour though.

Those who have to merge onto 60mph roads that often have traffic above that?

I get it, it can be done, and its a classic car, enjoy it as it is. No way I’d use it near rush hour though.

Oh, absolutely. But perhaps you missed the next two sentences? All this discussion about how much of a slug this car would be on today's interstate highways is, in my humble opinion, a moot point. Why would anyone drive a car like that on a highway that is designed for high speed? Instead, use it for more leisurely driving. Places where you will never be merging into 60 mph + traffic.

Who cares what the 0-60 is? A car like that would be fun to just drive around town, or for a leisurely drive on a country road. Of course, with no a/c, it kind of limits the times that you would be able to enjoy it.

Oh, absolutely. But perhaps you missed the next two sentences? All this discussion about how much of a slug this car would be on today's interstate highways is, in my humble opinion, a moot point. Why would anyone drive a car like that on a highway that is designed for high speed? Instead, use it for more leisurely driving. Places where you will never be merging into 60 mph + traffic.
That pretty much rules out where I live then. While I could avoid the highway and take back roads, our 50mph roads are traveled routinely at 60mph. Sunday afternoon drives I guess. Toss in some hills and ugh.

Not the car for me!

Some of these comments about not being able to drive it on highways is just funny. You DO realize these came from the land of the autobahn? With NO speed limits. Where going 100 mph is no big deal even 50 years ago when then car was common. It's top speed is over 80 mph and is built like a tank. It can handle any highway in the U.S. just fine.

Some of these comments about not being able to drive it on highways is just funny. You DO realize these came from the land of the autobahn? With NO speed limits. Where going 100 mph is no big deal even 50 years ago when then car was common. It's top speed is over 80 mph and is built like a tank. It can handle any highway in the U.S. just fine.
There is zero chance that this car has spent any meaningful time above ~100kph.

It's not built for it. This car could barely make it up some of the hills on the A7 without dropping below 80kph.

These diesels were built to handle foot to the floor driving all day long, same as the Beetle. Had no problem driving my '71 down to Florida and back on I95.

07.JPG

As I dictate this reply behind the wheel of my 85 190D, (which has a 75 HP 96lb-ft non-turbo diesel with a four-speed slush box.) Is it fast? No, not by any means. But I have no issue running it up to 80 mph on the interstate (the car will do 100, but only "on a deserted road in Mexico") I see the 66 200d being even slower than my car, but so is the ford model a, or an air-cooled VW bus, yet they have a following.

Last edited:
I actually have experience first hand driving a few of these - even a beetle of that vintage easily walks past these. The 240D with a turbo will get to 80 without too much fuss but a 200D won't even hit us hwy speed limits a 1/4 mile after the on-ramp

Did anyone notice that the battery is disconnected in the engine photo? Might have a parasitic drain or other electrical issues.

Back