Why drain and refill of ATF is more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes about the same time I suppose. Why my stealership is charging $90.99 for drain and refill of my ATF, while changing the oil is only $39.00?
The car is Acura integra, 121K, on auto-Rx both engine and transmission, as well as power steering.

It takes less time as there isn't a filter.

But, when the dealer syas "drain and refill" do they do this two or three times with a five minute drive in between?

Maybe cause Z-1 ATF is more expensive than motor oil and the customer assumes the 'transmission service' is more labor intensive than a simple oil change.
21.gif

They only drain and refill once. It takes 3 quarts for the ATF and 4 quarts for the oil.

Because its a stealership... A service manager tried to charge me to drain and flush my manual trans the same amount as if it was an automatic...

But most people don't know its a simple: Remove drain plug, reinstall drain plug and add 3 quarts of Z-1 ATF.

The service writer will up-sell it to customers as a 'transmission service' done by our
ASE Certified Acura © Master Technician,
using Acura © certified tools,
your car will be placed on an Acura © certified lift,
in our Acura © certified service bay,
using an Acura © certified funnel and Acura © certified rag to clean the drain plug and dip stick.
smirk2.gif

and the customer will say.... WOW, thats a great deal for $90.99
smirk2.gif

BTW, I bought 2 cases of Z-1 for $3.48 per quart (plus free shipping) for my parents Hondas.

The $39.00 is just to remain competitive with the quick lubes. They would charge you $90.99 and take your first born for a motor oil change if they could.

The cost of motor oil and Z1 ATF is the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
The $39.00 is just to remain competitive with the quick lubes. They would charge you $90.99 and take your first born for a motor oil change if they could.

The cost of motor oil and Z1 ATF is the same.

agree, that charge at the price that market can bear.

Flushing machines can do damage to automatic transmissions.with the machine,the lines are hooked up the transmission lines which are above the filter and the inside of the lines are full of dirt and crud.The machine back flushes that garbage back into the valve body and will cause problems.I know a transmission shop in my area, Z transmission in Muskegon,Mi that sees this all that time and they do lot of valve body cleanings due to flushes with the machine.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Flushing machines can do damage to automatic transmissions.with the machine,the lines are hooked up the transmission lines which are above the filter and the inside of the lines are full of dirt and crud.The machine back flushes that garbage back into the valve body and will cause problems.I know a transmission shop in my area, Z transmission in Muskegon,Mi that sees this all that time and they do lot of valve body cleanings due to flushes with the machine.

you sure about that? not all the flush machines backflush, need to know what you are condemning before you condemn it.

Where do you come up with this stuff??
21.gif
Nothing in your post is even close to being true. Any of the flush machines I have ever been around, Wynn,T-Tech........ DO NOT back flush the fluid. They rely on the transmission pump to purge the fluid in the regular direction.

The only way a "flush" could cause damage is if some debris were dislodged and find there way into the passages of the valve body or somehow plug the old filter. This may be "aggrivated" by the flush procedure, in that new fluid is cleaning out the old contaminated fluid and possibly leaving some residue behind. But, it is most definately not caused by the action of the flush machine flushing fluid backwards!

Last edited:
Get your work done elsewhere.
Mention the facts about the drain plug and filter to the SM.

Maybe He'll give you a more Acura-te price.

High pressure ATF flush machines do exist and do mess up transmissions. I have seen them. Go to the BG products website to see a couple of these machines that are still made and sold.

I know the phone number,not giving it out of this transmission shop and they will tell you this which is true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back