Why don't you use Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In college I used slackware, slax, and ubuntu. Sure they were cool, different.. But why should I use Linux every day? Windows 7 fits my daily needs just fine, I see no reason to switch.

Linux is best deployed by a technology evangelist; people don't want to go it alone, the same way they don't want to do their first brake job by themselves. If you give someone an intro to the technology, install it for them, and then do some OJT, they will be more comfortable.

EVERY person I have introduced to Mint/Ubuntu etc ditched their Windows and started using it and never went back.

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Games, the same reason I don't use OS X.

I don't exactly understand this?

Linux has barely moved past that neophyte penguin snow surfing game from the late 90's. Okay maybe there is a small steam library, okay maybe you can run an xp vm to play your dos games. Its not a serious gaming platform, and never will be.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Are the capabilities and options equivalent to Blue Iris on Windows? Mine setup has run 24/7 for over a year without any issues on Windows.

Honestly, that's a good question. I'd have to do some reading and some comparisons. Personally, I'm happy, and like the capabilities, but I'd really have to check to compare. The only thing that bugs me is the guy who does camera tech support needs me to do Linux tech support when he tries anything with the server.
wink.gif

cptbarkey: If you like flight simulators, Linux has some pretty darned good stuff. Apart from that, well....

unfortunately almost all the steam games on linux perform worse than the same game on windows.

Try playing fallout 4 on linux lately?
How about witcher 3?

I always seem to have that printer the one model that just DOESNT work with linux.

I'm not bashing linux. For a web browser or chromebook type experience it works well.

But it definitely cant be my only OS. for my main computer.

I haven't check much Steam stuff out for Linux. The games market is a disaster right now anyhow, and you're better off with a console.
wink.gif

Rand: My HP printers worked better in Linux than Windows, of all things.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Bash scare windows fanboys away.

I absolutely love Linux but not for gaming.

So compatibility would be my complaint!

nice process, ghost, ghost write, all that hoopla wont be so scary if you took the time to 'understand' Linux.

I use Xubuntu exclusively any more on my computers. I always have one old box around with windows for a just-in-case situations.

I will be moving my family to it too or they will have to start finding new PC support. Windows is just too much hassle.

Desktop linux gets a bad rap, because it is often called upon as a $0 option to repurpose a doggy running or not running Windows machine. Everything loads except that the Okidata printer the person bought uses Quikcode or some such nonsense page layout language and linux can't deliver.

I guess it sucks, the same way when my Toyota breaks, a Mazda isn't a suitable replacement since it can't use my air filters and spare PS pump that I bought for my toyota.

The list of supported hardware is available and large. Buy a system that is on it and there are no issues.

Those are the best machines for linux, because the hardware support is always behind. If I was looking to build one now, I'd be scouring ebay for hardware about 2-3 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame
One thing that fascinates me are people and their home computers and the OS they choose. Everyday people are happy as a lark using their I phones, Android phones, I pads, Samsung pads. Mention the word Linux OS on the home computer and these same people freeze and go into shock, why ? Other than commercial Windows games what is it that you do on the home computer that can't be done better/safer using Linux ?

IMO the vast majority of home users could use Linux OS and not skip a beat.

When you buy a computer, it usually comes with an OS. People want to use a computer so it really doesn't matter to them -- you buy it, turn it on and use it.

If the computers came blank then we would see much more variety of OS-s.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Try playing fallout 4 on linux lately?
How about witcher 3?

Played Fallout 3 a lot on Linux, and, if anything, it was faster than Windows. No idea whether Fallout 4 works yet.

OS X is my OS of choice.

It has the stability of BSD Unix along with access to the "underbelly" if you want to get there, but has the ease of use and nice GUI of a consumer OS. There's also a great selection of software for it, and you can actually run "real" productivity applications like MS Office and Adobe CS(before anyone says-Open Office is not a substitute for MS Office, and Gimp is not a good substitute for someone who knows their way around Photoshop). I don't have to be on the cutting edge of games, so the ones available for OS X are more than sufficient for me.

Granted not all is perfect in OS X. I regularly use and maintain systems running 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, and 10.9(although I have systems running ever other version). At least with towers that actually have expansion slots, you have to be VERY careful with expansion card selection. Basically, if you pick the right hardware it will work seamlessly and is the very definition of plug and play, but if you don't pick correctly good luck getting it to work. I've found this to be true with things like USB and WiFi cards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I have been using Linux for about 10 years.

The problem you get into is when it "hickups". Trying to do anything with it outside of a Chrome or Firefox Browser. For instance...installing a Program on it is a convoluted experience. Plug and play things like printers, scanners, etc may or may not work. Updating to a new version of Linux may require geting rid of the present version re-formattting and starting from scratch.

I don't consider myself stupid. I have been using a computer for work since the Apple came out. The only reason I can deal with it is my son is a Computer Engineer and has been running it before 2000.

It honestly is beyond the casual computer user that.

It is a joy though not to ever worry about viruses for the last 10 years. Hard to understand why Windows is so virus friendly.

Great post, thank you.

I like Windows. Linux has it's place, and I in fact put linux mint on my grandfathers old laptop for a bit over a year, after he got himself the lovely NSA ransomware virus. Worked Just fine, just put a shortcut to google chrome on the desktop and he was happy. We finally got him a chromebook just before I left Ohio to move back to NY, and so far he's tickled pink.

Personally though, I use Windows on all my computers, including my fileserver/nas/plex server/etc. It's just easier for me to manage, and I don't have any problems with it. I also work in IT, and some of my colleagues may give me [censored], but I don't feel the need to complicate things for it's own sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back