Why don't OEM's use 0W oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can see, a 0W oil would provide better start-up protection than 5W in every ambient temp on the planet, so why are there only a handful of oem spec'd oils that use them? I have never seen a non-synthetic 0W oil, does that have something to do with it?

Cost. Putting a 0w-xx on the oil filler cap essentially means a complete move to 'synthetic' oils.

The general public wouldn't go for that.

Besides, 5w oils of today are much better flowing at cold temps than the 5w oils of yester-year. While 5w may still be printed on the oil cap, the capabilities of the 5w spec have improved over the years.

5w it is.

I think its because a 0W oil is full synthetic, and the car owner would have the added expense of having to use a full synthetic oil. If they state 5W-xx you have options. In high end, or high performance cars I doubt the buyer would care.

Frank D

More expensive an not necessary? Just a guess. You'll probably have noticed that most 5W30s are thinner at most (nearly all) likely starting and operating temps than some 0W30s. So, the 0W itself doesn't necessarily indicate what you'll see in field operation. It's just a cold-start measurement at a specific, very low temperature.

This protection at startup with thinner oils at startup with justification is just not really an issue. There is way more to startup wear than just the oil.

It may very well be as previously suggested: Value received for the cost of 0W-x vs 5W-x. Cost out-weighs the possible benefits of the 0W-x over 5W-x. The less expensive for the mfg. the better for them.

Last edited:
0wxx oils are going to be syn therefore more expensive. Requiring that vehicles must use syn oils may diswade a lot of potential buyers.If you really need 0wxx oils you will probably also use electrical heaters oil and/or block. 5wxx with heating will work to very low temps, at least as low as 0wxx without supplemental heating.

Originally Posted By: mountravlr
The less expensive for the mfg. the better for them.

The better for the end user, too.

At least one car manufacture, Mercedes, has M1 0W40 as factory filled and it is the recommended grade too. But the OCI is long for newer cars and SUV's, up to 18k miles with fleece oil filter.

If 0wxx oils were required by oem's then they would be more wide spread.This would raise demand for syn oils so I donn't know if prices would go up or down.

engineoil.jpg

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I think the Nissan GTR comes oem with Mobil 1 0W40.

As do most Porsche vehicles.

Quote:
Why don't OEM's use 0W oil?
My 09 Scion TC states 0w-20 is the best choice. But also states 5w-20 may be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back