Why does xw20 and xw30 show essentially the same/similar UOA but people blame cafe?

Since Xw20 oils have been widely adopted over the last 10 years, maybe a better approach to address the 'Xw20 doesn't protect enough' crowd would be to look at the average age of vehicles on the road.
if the Xw20 is truly inferior, overall vehicle age would decrease because the Xw20 is not good enough to provide long life and the vehicles would be off the road.

And yet the average age of a used vehicle is the oldest it has ever been. So that Xw20 must be doing something right. No matter what the naysayers are spouting.
You make a great point. I got over my 0w20 (too thin - the sky is falling) plus oil dilution mania when I opened my eyes. I noticed one day all the people (many young women) zooming all over the roads in the same car (as wife's) that I was obsessed over and pleading for help for here at BITOG. Then I said to myself, "no way on earth all those young women and other owners are obessing and worrying and watching their oil levels almost daily like I am." Plus I have not seen or heard one single case yet of that particular motor failing or a big back lash against the automakers due to the new GTi / Di turbo engines etc.... So I think you hit the nail on the head. Things change yet its hard for people to change as easily. ;)

Last edited:
So I think you hit the nail on the head. Things change yet its hard for people to change as easily. ;)
Besides a truly small change in fuel economy, why again is it that I have to change? What other benefits do I get? I’m a little short on that.

Besides that small fuel economy increase what are the benefits of an oil with a lower HT/HS?

Besides a truly small change in fuel economy, why again is it that I have to change? What other benefits do I get? I’m a little short on that.

Besides that small fuel economy increase what are the benefits of an oil with a lower HT/HS?
I don't like change at all. I am tired of asking the same exact questions as you to all kind of people. I give up and just endure.

I’ve gone from SAE30 to 10W40 to 5W30 and now 0W20.
EE134546-AE74-4EF3-8F1A-B269C53CA3F4.jpeg

However tons of people say/think that 0w20 does not provide the same amount of protection as a 0w30 for example.
because engines are not made same way.
different rings pressure, cam rollers-yes/no, exotic materials-technologies, etc.
if you pour 0w4 into 0w20engine, there would be noticeable wear. because engine wasn´t designed for *that* viscosity.

Last edited:
I always find it interesting that nobody ever takes into account that oil viscosity is temperature dependent. If my Ferrari is "designed" to run with a 40 grade oil at 250 C on the race track then certainly a 16 grade oil at 100 C is fine for around town. I have never seen my oil temperature approach 100 C in any Ferrari I owned going up to 130 MPH. In fact the oil temperatures (at speed) have always been lower than the temperature for around town driving. For example, in my 812 Superfast the oil temperature around town is around 170 - 175 F. On the highway at 80+ MPH it goes down to 160 - 165 F. Thick as mud. And the oil pressures have been at least double if not triple or more than that suggested as "normal pressure" in the owners manual.

So why not use a thinner oil if applicable. It will give you more MPG and more get up and go. It may help our environment a little bit. I am sorry but I do not see the down side.

ali

What's wrong with added MOFT headroom/protection? The argument is nothing ... not that 5W-20 will "blow-up" your motor, but it could cause slightly more wear depending on use conditions compared to a thicker oil based on technical studies. Not trying to say using xW-20 is "bad", and I don't care what others use.
Zee he asked for a break? His choice!

Back