Why does xw20 and xw30 show essentially the same/similar UOA but people blame cafe?

In a similar vein, with regards to thinner oils... My 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has a TSB recommending 5W40 oil for years 2013-2017 "for best engine protection". "Even though it shows 5w30 on the oil fill cap". Their words. Not saying this is the same as the xw20 vs xw30 discussion, however if the thinner oil was getting the job done, they wouldn't retro spec a heavier weight.

Seems you're not fully grasping what I'm actually saying without reading between the lines too much. I've explained the caveats of when thicker oil can be better - it's not all black and white. But instead seems you read what is said about MOFT and added headroom and try to discount it and turn it around as not ever being needed or benifical in any case, including "just in case" because thinner is "recommended" in the OM. Do you do anything different in life for "just in case" reasons? There is a lot of room in life to make "just in case" decisions.

If someone wants to increase viscosity "just in case" based on the fact that more viscosity results in more MOFT, then who are you to say everone who thinks that way is automatically saying thinner is "bad"? That's how you come across. Maybe some people here might say that, but I never have - I'm just saying thicker can be better, especially in more severe use conditions.

You obviously focused on me (triggered in post #19, lol) because you don't like people talking about any reasons thicker oil could be better. Just because some one talks about it doesn't mean they think everyone should do the same - people can decide for themselves.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post. He just went 2 rounds with the ghost of Mike Tyson. Some people are so invested in a particular viewpoint, that, when coupled with the lack of will or ability to properly understand a counter-point, they immediately misconstrue it as an attack.

You brought up a great example with Ford and the Coyote and the BOSS 302. They did the same thing with the Track Pack version of the GT, spec'd 5w-50 for the same engine that spec'd 5w-20 in the "regular" GT.

FCA spec's 0w-40 in the 6.4L and 6.2L but 5w-20 in the 5.7L. The 6.4's (and especially the 6.2L) have higher power density and, being lower production, won't have much impact on CAFE. But construction-wise, the engines are all very similar and the 6.4L and 5.7L have the same clearances.

The paper we discussed from Honda years ago where they talked about the push to thinner oils resulting in more focus on additives that target increased operation in boundary/mixed vs hydrodynamic where you are working to control/limit wear, something not required in hydrodynamic, is another example. That was for 0w-12 and 0w-8 IIRC, with HTHS dropping below 2. As long as the wear rate was sufficiently controlled, it was acceptable (I believe they actually used the word acceptable in the paper) because it wasn't perceptible to the end user and still allowed the engine to achieve an appropriate lifespan. Of course one of the other issues was Noack that was wickedly high and an exception required to be made, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

Some screenshots from an SwRI research paper:
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.32.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.32.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.33.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.33.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.36.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.37.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Seems many people read way between the lines in these kind of threads. The actual message from most of the "thick" people is that thinner oil may not provide adequate protection from metal-to-meal contact wear vs a thicker oil when used in certain conditions. I don't know why people can't take that at face value and instead think they are somehow saying that "there is nothing worse in the world. The devil".

I'm not sure if you've actually studied tribology and understand the relationship between HTHS viscosity and MOFT, or the difference between film thickness and film strength. All you have is that you put 0W-20 in a Ferrari and it seems to run good, and have a few UOAs on an engine that's still breaking in that's not really of any value to determine what's really going on.

I think people miss the point of what tribology says about what keeps moving parts separated, and how the viscosity plays the main role. This has been know ever since tribology existed. It's like the science of tribology is somehow beaten down on BITOG as junk science and ignored because millions of cars don't blow-up using thinner oil. Have you ever watched any of those YouTube videos where people put all kinds of stuff in the engine like WD-40, vegetable oil, kerosene, etc and the engine runs "good" for a very long time, and it takes tons a abuse and redline use to finally get it to blow-up (no surprise). But if someone just drove it around town in a normal way it would probably run for thousands of miles ... but I highly doubt there wouldn't be way more wear because of it. A UOA might not even show there was any extra wear, but if the engine was tore down you'd see a different story.

Why do you think the engineers who designed and tested those engines actually do specify thicker oils in the OM based on the use conditions when CAFE is not a factor?

Running a much thinner oil in an engine that specifies something much thicker isn't really proving that it's not doing something you can't detect. I've seen photos of rod bearings out of a 5.0L Coyote V8 that had obvious wear patterns on them, and the guy who owned the car said the UOAs never showed anything was abnormal. BTW - Ford now specifies 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 in the Coyote ... why do you think they made that move?

As many here have said, a UOA won't really raise a red flag until it's probably too late to do anything about it. You don't use your Ferrari in any kind of stressed conditions, but would you be brave enough to do a full day of track days at mostly WOT and near redline use with 0W-16 or 0W-20 in the sump? As said many times (and apparently often ignored), use conditions are involved with choosing a viscosity. I chose to go from 5W-20 to 5W-30 even for street use, not because I think 20 weight is "nothing worse in the world. The devil", but because I want a bit more added protection for any unforeseen use conditions. I could care less about saving a minuscule of fuel mileage or losing a few HP at WOT.
Great post!

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post. He just went 2 rounds with the ghost of Mike Tyson. Some people are so invested in a particular viewpoint, that, when coupled with the lack will or ability to properly understand a counter-point, they immediately misconstrue it as an attack.

You brought up a great example with Ford and the Coyote and the BOSS 302. They did the same thing with the Track Pack version of the GT, spec'd 5w-50 for the same engine that spec'd 5w-20 in the "regular" GT.

FCA spec's 0w-40 in the 6.4L and 6.2L but 5w-20 in the 5.7L. The 6.4's (and especially the 6.2L) have higher power density and, being lower production, won't have much impact on CAFE. But construction-wise, the engines are all very similar and the 6.4L and 5.7L have the same clearances.

The paper we discussed from Honda years ago where they talked about the push to thinner oils resulting in more focus on additives that target increased operation in boundary/mixed vs hydrodynamic where you are working to control/limit wear, something not required in hydrodynamic, is another example. That was for 0w-12 and 0w-8 IIRC, with HTHS dropping below 2. As long as the wear rate was sufficiently controlled, it was acceptable (I believe they actually used the word acceptable in the paper) because it wasn't perceptible to the end user and still allowed the engine to achieve an appropriate lifespan. Of course one of the other issues was Noack that was wickedly high and an exception required to be made, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

Some screenshots from an SwRI research paper:
View attachment 70008
View attachment 70009
View attachment 70010
View attachment 70011
View attachment 70012
View attachment 70013
And another excellent post. UOA and engine tear downs can tell two totally different stories. I'd rather believe the tear down story for determining engine wear. I do believe a UOA has value, fuel dilution, how well an air filter is working, how long oil can go, along with a few other benefits. However anyone who thinks they determine engine wear or condition is wrong, sorry. But hey this is Bitog, and people will believe what they want to believe. ;)

I used to be in the thick camp but I'm not anymore. The difference between API w30 and w20 is very little, just look at the operating CST 100 ranges. Sure, theres a difference in HTHS. But for the average driver with an automatic dropping revs as fast as possible, this makes no difference. Use what they spec, unless you're hitting the track or something.
Hmm, OK, but what if you drive your underpowered four cylinder SUV like you're on a track? Then what oil do you use? lol.

MOFT and headroom. Give me a break already. 255,000 miles on the old F150 and it runs better than new and uses no oil in 5k OCI's on 5w-20 oil. How can that be???
I would imagine two things
1) 5,000 mile oil changes. [you took care of the vehicle]
2) The operation style and load.

I like to think of myself as part of that group. When I purchase a new car, plane, yard equipment, technical scuba equipment, I always, immediately change things, customize things. If somebody cares I can show you many changes I already made to my 812 Superfast. The Ferrari dealer is actually happy I did these things and in fact was looking forwards to see what I was going to do with the car when I took it home, (they know me). There were issues with the car that needed solutions and they could not wait to hear back from me.

ali
How long do you keep your toys?

Yes, another great post.

Table 2 was most interesting to me.

All the wear areas were generally worse off after a cold start (I believe this is defined as 75F), while towing a trailer and using the Start-Stop function while driving. Note that overall the wear was less under WOT and higher RPM when the oil is the hottest (and thinnest).

Also mentioned is high wear from cavitation (and not specifically the oil pump) and that it lessenes as the oil viscosity decreases. I wonder if it is this issue in a cold start. We know that as oil viscosity increases so does wear from aeration, Morgan et al. Eric Schneider showed how wear slowly decreases over the first 15-20 minutes of engine running after a 75F start up. People argue that it has nothing to do with thick cooler oil not being able to lubricate as well. Eric artificially lowered only the oil temperature of these engines while still running the water temperature the same and showed that the wear was at the same level as when the engine was warming up the first time at that oil temperature. To me this indicates that “it’s due to the engine parts not fitting correctly yet” has little or nothing to do with the early engine wear rate at 75F start up. Oil lubricates better when it warms and thins at the operating temperature.

Note also the friction data indicating less engine friction as the oil grade was decreased. But then it started back up when using the 8 grade oil, an indication the wear was increasing, but only with the thinnest of oils.

The oils are often not fully formulated in these tests. I feel that they do this so as not to start a battle amongst oil brands. How valuable is data from an oil not fully formulated???

And look at the Start-Stop wear. Do any of our politicians ever do any research before they make these mandates??

Just to mention a few points...in my quest to advocate thinner oil use.

ali

PS: "How long do you keep your toys?"
It varies. In general I treat them as if I will keep them forever. I only sold the Enzo because we were uncomfortable driving it. It was worth too much. So after 15 years we traded it in on something much less valuable.

Last edited:
I have some dear friends with Ferraris and the sad thing about them is they are so valuable , it is scary to drive them. My friends ask me if I want to drive and I say Nope. Too pricey. and that is the same reason I don't do flying. Call me a sissy and I will accept it..

Eric artificially lowered only the oil temperature of these engines while still running the water temperature the same and showed that the wear was at the same level as when the engine was warming up the first time at that oil temperature. To me this indicates that “it’s due to the engine parts not fitting correctly yet” has little or nothing to do with the early engine wear rate at 75F start up. Oil lubricates better when it warms and thins at the operating temperature.
A lot of it has to do with the temperature at which additives become active. This is another issue with start/stop.

I remember a study done ages ago that showed that running an engine below 180F coolant temp significantly increased wear. Above 180F, the decrease in wear was basically insignificant, but you started losing performance because of timing needing to be pulled. Now, this was for old school port-injected pushrod mills, so may not be applicable to every situation (the performance stuff).
Note also the friction data indicating less engine friction as the oil grade was decreased. But then it started back up when using the 8 grade oil, an indication the wear was increasing, but only with the thinnest of oils.
Less friction in the bearings, more friction in the valvetrain with the thinner oils.

It breaks down as:
0w-8 - least friction in the bearings, most friction in the piston assembly and valvetrain
0w-16 - lower friction in the bearings, less friction in the piston assembly, more friction in the valvetrain
0w-20 - low friction in the valvetrain, more friction in the piston assembly and bearings
0w-30 - least friction in the valvetrain, more friction in the piston assembly and bearings

Seems like an xW-20 is the sweet spot in this particular engine. The friction in the piston assembly goes from oil related friction (like in the bearings) with the 0w-30 to actual sliding friction (wear) with the 0w-8. Since the valvetrain doesn't operate in hydrodynamic, just boundary, wear, and friction, increases there as viscosity drops.
The oils are often not fully formulated in these tests. I feel that they do this so as not to start a battle amongst oil brands. How valuable is data from an oil not fully formulated???
In the comparison of the 5w-30 and 0w-16, both oils were fully formulated and using a Dexos1 Gen 2 additive package.
And look at the Start-Stop wear. Do any of our politicians ever do any research before they make these mandates??
Yep, which makes sense when you figure how temperature and additive activation play-in to this.

They said they used the same formulated oil (same additives) but in two different viscosities for the wear testing - it's not about testing Oil A vs Oil B, and if they used different oil formulations it would skew the viscosity effect. What this testing shows is that the viscosity (film thickness/MOFT) is the main factor in keeping moving parts separated - the backbone of tribology from day one. Yes, this shows 16 vs 30, but if the same formulated oil in 20 was also tested it would fall in between the 16 and 30. Figure 5 shows running 0W-8 in an engine not specifically designed for it would be pretty risky.

1630963614234.png

1630963686424.png

1630963286878.png

Last edited:
Also mentioned is high wear from cavitation (and not specifically the oil pump) and that it lessenes as the oil viscosity decreases. I wonder if it is this issue in a cold start. We know that as oil viscosity increases so does wear from aeration, Morgan et al.
Modern oils have anti-foaming additives which basically prevent excessive aeration, so I don't really buy in to aeration in thicker oils causing wear. If that was the case, then the SWRI test data in Figures 6 and 7 would show the opposite of what it does. And when oil is near or at full operating temperature, regardless of the viscosity, it's all pretty low viscosity so aeration is way less likely when the oil is hot. If there is any wear from aeration, it's only during the warm-up period.

Last edited:
Modern oils have anti-foaming additives which basically prevent excessive aeration, so I don't really buy in to aeration in thicker oils causing wear. If that was the case, then the SWRI test data in Figures 6 and 7 would show the opposite of what it does. And when oil is near or at full operating temperature, regardless of the viscosity, it's all pretty low viscosity so aeration is way less likely when the oil is hot. If there is any wear from aeration, it's only during the warm-up period.
Not to mention that many motorcycles are running on thick diesel oil and turning way more rpm and for longer periods, than a street engine. If foaming/aeration was an issue, it would show up there.

My original Honda 750 FOUR had an external oil tank, these minimize aeration. What do modern motorcycles use? Are they, some of them, still on wet sumps? Incidentally I used Castrol 20W50 back then - but I did live in Florida at the time.

Ali

Sure, but I'm not an "everyday owner or driver". As stated, I have my reasons for going a bit thicker. I like more headroom and state why regardless of driving conditions. Throw in more severe driving conditions and it makes it even easier to justify. People can take it or leave it, I don't care what other people do with their vehicles. I simply give the reasoning behind it.
Same here, 99% of my driving conditions are severe, lead footed, and aggressive, and once my engine is started it runs at operating temperature for 8-10 hours with multiple pulls to redline daily. If you drive like that then you'd probably be safer with a grade or two higher.

My original Honda 750 FOUR had an external oil tank, these minimize aeration. What do modern motorcycles use? Are they, some of them, still on wet sumps? Incidentally I used Castrol 20W50 back then - but I did live in Florida at the time.

Ali
My Can-Am 1000R spins to the moon most of the time (1,000cc V-twin w/CVT) and it has a shared sump. I run M1 0w-40 in it, it calls for an xw-40.

A rare "thin" person will make a statement or ask a question then a hundred "thick" people will jump in to comment. These "thick" people have tens of thousands of posts each. They collectively jump onto those who hint of the use of a thinner oil as there is nothing worse in the world. The devil.
I see the opposite on this site - pages and pages of people pushing thin oil...and one or 2 post pro thick. It's enough to keep the thread going on and on. You don't see a first post about thick oil, it's always about thin oil.

Not to mention that many motorcycles are running on thick diesel oil and turning way more rpm and for longer periods, than a street engine. If foaming/aeration was an issue, it would show up there.
My two motorcycles (both runnibg 10W-40 and both ~10,500 redline) have a glass oil level window in the crankcase so you can see oil when off the bike while the engine is running. I've looked at the oil when cold after a start-up and there might be a few air bubbles in it, but nothing to be worry about.

After it's warned up there is zero signs of aeration, even after revving the engine up and down for awhile. The oil level also goes down some every time the engine is revved up pretty good, as expected.

Ali
The Honda 750 was pretty unique to have a dry sump even back in those days . Only bikes made today that I can think about that have a dry sump are some Harleys. I can't think of one Asian bike made today that has a dry sump. A wet sump is simpler, and it gives the bile a more balance and lower CG.

Back