Why do you switch oil so often???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What would make switching oil brands wrong? Why should I keep with one brand. I use any quality oil brand.

Some people have to buy their underwear at K-Mart and watch Judge Wapner at 5:00.

Yeah, 400 Oak Street.....Yeah, I`m a good driver in the Drive way....Yeah.

This is all I use for the last 40 yrs, from PYB to Ultra
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Personally, I like all the SOPUS products and stock up when I can get them at a steep discount. However, for others, I buy whatever I can find at a sale price, discount or rebate.

I have friends, family or neighbors who only want Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and/or Diesel for cleaning power. I try to keep a nice supply of sale/clearance items for oil changes and also a nice stockpile of synthetic oils, name brands and store brands, to throw into the oil change mix.

Each oil family may have a different add pack so sometime a switch off to another brand will give you the benefit of a different detergent and anti-wear add pack. I've done this with Valvoline Synpower for a couple of runs of 7-8K and then back to PYB with a mix of PP or Formula Shell with some PP.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Personally, I like all the SOPUS products and stock up when I can get them at a steep discount. However, for others, I buy whatever I can find at a sale price, discount or rebate.

I have friends, family or neighbors who only want Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and/or Diesel for cleaning power. I try to keep a nice supply of sale/clearance items for oil changes and also a nice stockpile of synthetic oils, name brands and store brands, to throw into the oil change mix.

Each oil family may have a different add pack so sometime a switch off to another brand will give you the benefit of a different detergent and anti-wear add pack. I've done this with Valvoline Synpower for a couple of runs of 7-8K and then back to PYB with a mix of PP or Formula Shell with some PP.

Why on earth would you "make" your own blend unless you were just trying to use up some over stock???

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Why on earth would you not do so?

not saying it would hurt anything, but what's the point unless substantial cost savings or use of over stock?

I try a few on a new to me car until I find one I like best, then stick to one unless it gives me a reason to change...like a bad reformulation or something. Anyway, no evidence other than one mechanic's opinion, and one old owner's manual, but it might be best to let the engine wear in with one oil.

I change oil brands often. Last time,I changed to M1--- in 1978. I may change to something differant, say in 2030.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I change oil brands often. Last time,I changed to M1--- in 1978. I may change to something differant, say in 2030.

You're a wild man!
lol.gif

I'd like to find something that doesn't burn as much, seeing as I'm not interested in spending $2000 for an engine rebuild in a car that's 13 years old and probably only worth that. Synthetics disappear too quickly in my engine for me to use them anymore. My oil gets black quick because although the engine runs good, it has excessive clearances that pass oil into the combustion chamber, and combustion gases into the oil. I have to change it more often than the 12,000 km that's in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I remember a thread where someone got free oil change stickers from Pennzoil or Mobil (notice they advertise them here now) and the automatic praises for that oil just came out of nowhere. People where even proclaiming to use that oil for life because of that "generous act"
crazy2.gif
Brilliant move by the oil company, if you ask me.

Wow, yeah, really generous--considering you can get free oil change stickers at the local auto parts store.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back