Why do we have cabin air filters?

So they've been around longer than I thought. I guess I've been riding around with the window open, obliviously, not even thinking about it. o_O
Thanks for the informative replies. I have to go change that thing... (usually about once a year)

The good news is if anyone thinks the CAF is just a conspiracy to sell more service and product, you can simply remove it and let the air flow unimpeded just as God intended. The evaporator or heater core will catch of the big stuff anyhow.

If someone was so inclined, they could even remove the engine air filter, my car has a screen before the mass airflow sensor, that should keep any rocks out.

All my cars since the 1990s have had CAFs., even my Nissan NX.

I didn't know the NX had a cabin filter!

Too bad Nissan didn't use one in all their cars by then! The 4th gen Maxima of the late 90s, 5 years after the NX was made, had no cabin filter :sneaky:

I didn't know the NX had a cabin filter!

Too bad Nissan didn't use one in all their cars by then! The 4th gen Maxima of the late 90s, 5 years after the NX was made, had no cabin filter :sneaky:
Are you sure they didn't have the slot for them. 2nd Gen Xterra's when they first came out in 2005 - the low trims didn't have cabin air filters - it was one of the added features for the higher trims, but they were all the same - Nissan simply didn't install the paper element in the lower trims. "marketing"

Are you sure they didn't have the slot for them. 2nd Gen Xterra's when they first came out in 2005 - the low trims didn't have cabin air filters - it was one of the added features for the higher trims, but they were all the same - Nissan simply didn't install the paper element in the lower trims. "marketing"

I am sure they didn't have a slot for them :(

Living where there are pine trees (needles), crape myrtles (blooms), and a wide selection of gnats I’ve grown to appreciate the logic behind cabin air filters. Cleaning the aforementioned Sh&# out of heater/evap housings and cores wasn’t easy or fun.

The good news is if anyone thinks the CAF is just a conspiracy to sell more service and product, you can simply remove it and let the air flow unimpeded just as God intended. The evaporator or heater core will catch of the big stuff anyhow.

If someone was so inclined, they could even remove the engine air filter, my car has a screen before the mass airflow sensor, that should keep any rocks out.
Outboard motors still don’t have air filters.

Because it's easier to change the filter then an evaporator core that got clogged up from debris?
Because people keep cars longer (when compared to decades ago), meaning long enough to clog the (outside part) of the evaporator core.

Back