Why do transmissions fail after changing the fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 02supercrew:

quote:

Originally posted by DEWFPO:
02supercrew,

DEWFPO

I should have made my self clearer, the car has 82k on it right now....I bought it 10K ago. The OEM filter was still in, and the fluid was so dark and burnt smelling, that there is no way that it could have been flushed in my opinion. Not to mention that the cheap line retainers were still on (most shops toss these).

Anyway, she's running good, and that's all that matters to me.
burnout.gif

Just because the OEM filter was still there does not necessarily mean it was not flushed---most shops wrongly do the flush without a filter change!

rolleyes.gif
Well everyone is very opinonated about this and if you use a little logic you too should have little trouble with your tranny if your lucky.The TOYOTA manual tells you to never change the fluid. WHAT! I can't understand how gullible they think the public is. You have all these dealers saying the trans. will blow if you don't use their fluid. I heard most of the problems caused by heat so I use AMSOIL ATF. I flushed all three cars early NISSAN TOYOTA & HUNDYI with the NAPA quik flush. The tranny is not like the engine no combustion ( I Hope) so I now have a fluid that will for the most part hold up at least 2 times as long. Mabey 50 or 75000 mi. I will drop the pan and change the filter and add the 3 or 4 qts to reinforce the already good fluid. Thats my plan if I had a car that hasn't been serviced perhaps I would only change the filter and add the 4 qts. drive and see what happens. If no problems after 15000 miles do again if the filter was pretty clean instead of adding 4 qts I would have them pump all the fluid out anf fill with OEM I think if you didn't start early with synthetic early I wouldn't switch after 50000.Thats my common cents oops!
grin.gif

My Impala has had 2 fluid exchanges and one filter change in 85k. I had been accused of being anal when suggesting a 36k interval for the Impala. The last interval between fluid exchanges was only 32k and the fluid was shot. I've since revised my thinking to a 24k interval with conventional fluids. I plan on switching to Schaeffer 204S at the beginning of next year and using analysis to establish the interval for tht fluid.

My theory on "flushs" killing transmissions is that a complete replacement of fluid ends up cleaning the transmission out like a solvent based flush would and clogging vital passages. My answer is to do an AutoRx application before the fluid exchange.

I think the general public isn't gullible enough to leave their fluid in for too long, they're worse! Most people I've talked to don't even know that there is a fluid to change or fill. Even people hard grained on 3k oil changes don't change their transmission fluid. I blame it on extended drain recommendations and auto makers who go out of their way to make the fluid hard to change. They probably reason that it's better to have people drive around with old fluid then to have them wait to long to change it and end up with problems like those described above. So they make fluid that can better hold up to these ridiculous drain intervals.(ie DEX IIIH, ATF+4, MERCON V, ect.)

We better be careful, with everybody pushing extended drains we might end up in the same boat with engine oil.
spaz.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
You have all these dealers saying the trans. will blow if you don't use their fluid.

Many of the OEM fluids are unique and there are no licensed substitutes. Toyota Type T-IV is one. DaimlerChrysler ATF+4 is another. Ditto for Honda, VW, etc.

There are some ATFs said to be good for many of these, but they are not licensed by the vehicle maker. Lubegard's supplements are widely used mixed with Dexron-III. RedLine D4 ATF covers some of these special applications including VW and Volvo. Amsoil says that their ATF covers many. Schaeffer's new 204SAT is Dexron-III(H), Mercon, MerconV, DC ATF+4, Honda, and others.

What you clearly cannot do is just put Dexron/Mercon ATF in many transmissions.

Ken

My cousin is at 170k on her 96 T-turd. Her man changes motor oil at 3000 miles but never considered the trans fluid.
dunno.gif
I don't want to get involved, for once.
grin.gif
I changed the ATF in my A4q at 55k, costs $300, but a trans costs like $6,000 and Audi does not sell parts. Some cars use "lifetime" fluids, but I find better performance after changing them. Just did the gear lube in our 1987 180k Coupe' with RP...smooth and good mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back