Why do space heaters catch fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a good idea to plug such a heater into every outlet in the house, say a day for each.
Feel the sockets for warmth. Replace as necessary.

I replaced the badly melted socket on a small generator used by a lad's mother.
I wrote the watt capacity on a red string tag and told the lad to explain to his mom that her generator wasn't capable of too much.

The vacuous look he gave me was almost scary. I honestly think it's over for America.

The numerous fires that have been reported here were due to people using flimsy and LONG extension cords with space heaters.

Some older homes don't have enough outlets so I could see this happening. Or worse is to use a outlet multiplier and to use a extension cord + space heater on top of that.

Folks remember that the average non technical minded person doesn't understand stuff like this. They just want heat.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: bbhero
And I wondered why my step father ran 12 gauge wire to every single outlet and light in the entire house... Everything regular circuit had a 15 amp/1900+ watt circuit rating going to it. From the homerun to the lights or outlet was 12 gauge. Outlet to outlet on the same circuit was 12 gauge. Every connection inspected very closely to make sure it was right. Zero 14 gauge wire anywhere in that house. He ran 10 gauge to the refrigerator, the dishwasher, dryer and washing machine. Over kill for sure. But safer. Everything was way above the NEC.
That's a smart move, but it seems that the cheap, junky, receptacles are the main issue. Add a heavy load, and it's like a minature arc welder buzzing away in the wall-until the studs get hot enough to catch on fire...

Well then those would be 20 amp circuits. Should have used commercial grade outlets. Those cost a couple dollars each instead of the cheap 50 cent residential grade ones.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-A...1-00W/205844894

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The numerous fires that have been reported here were due to people using flimsy and LONG extension cords with space heaters.

Some older homes don't have enough outlets so I could see this happening. Or worse is to use a outlet multiplier and to use a extension cord + space heater on top of that.

Folks remember that the average non technical minded person doesn't understand stuff like this. They just want heat.

and some of them end up getting a lot more heat than they wanted.

Last edited:
I've used these heaters for hundreds of hours in my cabin with no problems but certainly share your concern. If fact, many keep these heaters on 24/7 when they are away to keep the cabins from freezing. The plugs and wiring are supposed to take way more than 13 amps, and then the breakers are usually set for 15 amps. I'm thinking that the Honeywell brand name was on some cheap piece of you know what from the Peoples Democratic Republic of China. Do you still have it? If it was UL listed is shouldn't have done that. At least check with Honeywell and see if there was a recall. Glad to see you caught it in time.

As for the breaker, yes, I've always been aware you can't put these things on the same breaker as a microwave or coffee pot. Seeing that video is interesting. Not sure I trust it. I'm wondering if he bypassed the breaker, but not interesting in arguing with anyone over it.

Thanks for the posting.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Here's a cool video that shows how much heat can build up at a bad connection, while the connected equipment operates as normal.

Not only loose wires but a loose heater plug. When Moms heater plug arced she said it was falling out of the outlet and when she pushed it back in...it arced. She has a 2 prong adapter piggy-backed to the 3 prong heater cord because she has the old 2 prong outlets.

Trust me.... The outlets were not food stamp rated outlets. They were top grade commercial outlets with a heat resistance rating that well exceeded the plastic junk or whatever the regular ones are.

With the recent cold weather this region is not acustomed to getting, there were reports of space heater fires daily. Many of the fires were in lower income areas with older homes and likely older/inadeqate wiring but also less likely to have central heating.
This concerned me because we are currently using multiple space heaters to heat our home and I replaced many of the outlets myself. We are careful where we place the heaters, never use extension cords and my wife burns something in the kitchen every so often to test the smoke detectors😁.
Sad local story...
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/n...8d48309a64.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back