Why do some cars call for 5W20, not 0W20?

Why not just use any reputable brand, in a weight fairly close to the manufacturer recommendation, and worry less about it. 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, all are close enough. Most people probably operate their car in a climate between 0 and 110 F, almost all the time, possibly a few days a year colder, or warmer. I know that for me about 350 days per year we are between 10F and 100F. We got a hot week or two every summer where we exceed 100F, and could get up to 115F. There might be 2 or 3 nights in a winter we get colder than 10F, and drop to 0, or possibly even -10F in an extreme winter. Plug your car in for 2 hours if its -10F. Really paranoid, put an oil pan heater on your car. I do all the snow plowing, and its a large area, plus I do the entire road out to the main road as well, because the plow trucks can take up to 4 days to get around to doing our road. I look at the forecast every night in the winter time, if overnight snowfall is forecast at more than 3 inches deep, i plug the 980 loader in, and also stick the magnetic oil pan heater to the bottom of the pan, and plug it in as well if going to be colder than 10F, then I go to bed. Wake up around 05:00, and plow snow, then head to work. Upon arriving at my Boss's home, I shovel his stairs, sidewalks, driveway, and back deck. But not once have I worried about the weight of oil in the loader, car, or anything else. Oil pressure gauge is coming up 1 second after I start the 980 up, and it has 10w40 in it.

Educate me: which base stock group does 0W20 and 5W20 use, respectively?

For details and specifics you will have to use the bitog Search engine! Many threads and posts by experts about 0W and base oils, etc.

you may even come up with a different conclusion ... but as I said before, the specifics and details are above my paygrade. I read a lot of stuff and oil related stuff is a small portion for fun. since I am not actively involved and/or is not my profession, I forget about %90 of it. However, I try to remember the conclusions or at least my interpretation of the discussions. You know like a jury but not an expert witness.

For details and specifics you will have to use the bitog Search engine! Many threads and posts by experts about 0W and base oils, etc.

you may even come up with a different conclusion ... but as I said before, the specifics and details are above my paygrade. I read a lot of stuff and oil related stuff is a small portion for fun. since I am not actively involved and/or is not my profession, I forget about %90 of it. However, I try to remember the conclusions or at least my interpretation of the discussions. You know like a jury but not an expert witness.

Let's not forget the additive pack. Very important!

Thanks for joining.

I had a very funny co-worker who instead of hello used to greet some people with "Thanks for coming in, we appreciate your support".
I thought it was very funny and laughed every time. I used to go to work late and as we became more friend, he started greeting me with "easy money" and sometimes followed with his Thanks for coming in ... lol

Last edited:
Back