Why do some cars burn one oil brand but not another?

99%? A bit hyperbolic, I would think.
Not at all, I am experiencing the same too. Concerning female owners I have met, this might even reach 100%.
About the same percentages apply to the tire pressures as well.

99%? A bit hyperbolic, I would think.
Probably should read can't be bothered to pop the hood.

I don't see motorists checking oil at the gas station. I don't see my neighbors checking it in their driveways. So 99% not doing so may be a reasonable approximation.

I don't see can't here as a measure of ability but a measure of willingness.

I've only had one oil in the Toyota that was consumed. I noticed it in just 400 miles. First thing that came to mind was the PCV valve. When I checked it everything seemed ok. But it had been several years since I changed it. I had one and just swapped in the new one. My oil usage dropped back to what had been the norm for this car and it used about a hair over a cup for the rest of the OCI. I've heard of this problem but have never personally experienced it. YMMV.

Probably should read can't be bothered to pop the hood.

I don't see motorists checking oil at the gas station. I don't see my neighbors checking it in their driveways. So 99% not doing so may be a reasonable approximation.

I don't see can't here as a measure of ability but a measure of willingness.

This is closer to reality here but that vast majority of people will still have no idea what to do next after they get the hood up. They know that pull lever releases the hood. That’s about it.

My M240i consumes no oil if I use the BWN Twin Turbo oil. But, it uses about 1/2L between changes if I use LM 5W30.

That is a good question, I never found a real answer to it. In my own VW I use Euro higher HTHS synthetics only, it never used more than 1/2 qt between 3-4K OCI until I used one brand in particular that is supposed to be the best thing since unicorn tears (I wont say but it had HTHS 3.5 and brand name) good god it was drinking it so badly I thought something must be leaking or something like some rings had broken, after 2K into the OCI it was drinking 1qt every 500 miles.

I couldnt find any leaks so I figured I better plan on tearing it down this summer, I changed back to the oil it always used and it stopped, back to what it always was 1/2qt every 3-4K. I have no answer not even a guess.

Edit: The oil was not Mobil or Castrol and cost retail (it is avalable in stores) about $10 a qt

My old VW Golf Mk III dont had any oil consumption when i used Liqui Moly Full synthetic 5w-40. Nada. Zero.
My Honda S2000 now needs regular top-off with Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40. But i drive the car "very spirited" on lonely country roads.

Juts a few days ago, the small german Honda S2000 Community had start to collect data about the oils used, oil consumption and so on of the members cars. The only other member that uses the Shell helix Ultra 5w-40 has also a high oil consumption, the highest. The owners that use the Liqui Moly or Meguin(Same Oil, different Brand name) 5w-40 also have a very low, in some cases zero oil consumption:

Column I : "ca. Ölverbrauch L / 1000 Km" = Aproximately Oil Consumption Liters per 1000 Km

I used PP 10W30 in my 11 Camry and it would use some over 10k, not sure how much, half to one quart, but on ST 5W30 it uses none. In my Tundra the PP seemed fine. No idea why.

In my experience, if I had a car that burned oil, it always used the most when running Pennzoil vs Valvoline or Castrol. I’ve thought it was due to Pennzoil usually being on the lighter side of it’s grade. But could be other factors obviously.

The exception being recently with the wife’s Elantra. She drives it pretty hard and PP was usually 1qt or more low, Valvoline or Edge closer to 1/2. 2 oci’s ago I tried Magnatec for the 1st time and it didn’t use any at all. Used PP again this last OCI, again didn’t use any to my surprise. All were 5w-20 grades. No other changes made to the engine. So not quite sure what to make of that yet. It has QSFS 5w-30 in now, so really curious to see if the trend continues.

maybe it´s just related to too high noack evaporation ? (cheaper bases?)
Sure, and coupled with different actual viscosities, HTHS, and formulations (base stocks, VIs, additive packages), it makes sense that one oil may behave differently than another.

Then there are folks who change brands of oil when they do changes ... One brand this OCI, a different brand for previous and subsequent changes. Might the interaction between different brands and formulations contribute to the amount of oil used during an OCI?

Remember, in many engines, there's a substantial amount of oil that remains in the block when doing a change. In my car, about 1.5 quarts remain in the engine. That's a big % with a 4.5-quart change. So what you're experiencing may not be the results of what you put into the engine, but rather, the results of that mixed with whatever was in the engine previously.

I don't believe most of what is posted on BITOG as far anecdotal accounts - within same spec oils as far as loudness, smoothness, oil usage, etc - I think most of it is oil-related OCD/user error/etc.

I switched from Mobil 1 5W-20 to Castrol edge 5W-20 in my Town & Country minivan. It cut oil consumption in half. I would add a half-quart every two weeks with Mobil 1. That dropped to a half quart a month with Castrol. We towed a camper four hours away and I had to add a quart of M1 each way. The next year, using Castrol Edge, I added only one quart for the entire trip.

This is the only vehicle I have owned that oil brand made a difference. I never switched back to M1 on this Town & Country, so I don't know if it would be any different. It burned/used oil from day 1 when we drove it new off the lot. M1 oil for the first 80K miles, then Castrol for the next 50K miles until we sold it.

Could be related to "thinner" oils within grade burn more ... PP 5W30 is a thinner 5W30 which my Hyundai GDI engine burns more of during an OCI .

I don't believe most of what is posted on BITOG as far anecdotal accounts - within same spec oils as far as loudness, smoothness, oil usage, etc - I think most of it is oil-related OCD/user error/etc.

The acoustic stuff is incredibly hard to properly qualify, I agree. However, on the consumption front, if the consumption is significant, this is pretty easy to track. You aren't dealing with something subjective and depending on a human sense and no instruments, this is a measured quantity that can easily be tracked.

Our Expedition drank AMSOIL AZO 0w-30. I have no idea why, but we are talking 3+ quarts per OCI, a quantity that was pretty easy to keep track of because it was so significant. On the other hand, the engine would not require adding oil on M1 AFE 0w-30, despite both oils being the same grade. It was absolutely bizarre! I tested it over multiple OCI's to see if it would taper off and it never did.

My engine seemed to drink SHU 5W30 and 5W40 (12.8 cSt) more than it does with Total Quartz 5W40 (14.7 cSt). Currently using a dino 15W40 and oil consumption is inexistant but i repaired a small leak at the same time. I will keep using oils on the thicker side such as Total Quartz 5W40 and 10W40 and other low noack oils (mainly 15W40).

i kind of agree that going below sae xw40 you will burn some, no matter what.
I believe that there is no such thing as a prefect engine. BUT... there are ones that are close. My old Honda Civic (5000mi OCI 5W-20) and now my Honda CR-V (7500-8000mi OCI 0W-20) use practically no oil over the OCI. My two motorcycles don't seem to use any oil. The 4Runner 0W-20 and Cobalt 5W-30 don't seem to use any oil either.

On the other end of the spectrum, my two Chrysler minivans 5W-20 drank oil.

Back