Why do people think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...that looking like something is the next best thing to being something?

My favorite example was a Civic of some kind that some shop had entirely re-bodied to try to make it look like a Skyline GT-R (it ended up looking like a MicroMachines model, but who's counting). The owner said something like "this is as close as you're gonna get to a Skyline in America."

How many cars that look like sports cars actually drive like sports cars? Of all the times you've heard people say "that's a nice car", how many were actually talking about more than the looks?

Obviously it's not just cars. One of my classmates hears "nice laptop" all the time because her laptop looks nice. The person sitting down the row has one that is very obviously smaller, lighter, and faster, and never gets any such comments.

I'm sure everyone can come up with a whole host of their own examples.

Yes, I know, we tend to judge a book by its cover. Day-to-day life would be hopelessly impractical if we didn't sometimes. But if you think about it, doesn't it seem silly? If you're going to call something "the closest thing to a Skyline in America," why wouldn't it at least be a 240SX? It's a heck of a lot closer than a Civic. If the purpose of a laptop is to be light and portable, why don't people find out how light and portable it is before deciding whether it's nice?

A friend of mine suggested that the people who don't have nice things feel ashamed, and at least want to pretend so they can retain some dignity.

Last edited by a moderator:
These same people are impossible to call out. Mention they have the base motor and they'll counter with some lingo like "not with my JDM throttle body port good for 600 hp"... and they will distort the argument to make the cynic look stupid. They get away with it by lying all their lives and being convincing.

Finally the cynic will walk away from the argument leaving the idiot "winning".

Fake it 'till you make it! Humans are vain and superficial by nature. Unless you are an stereotypical engineering/mechanic type you don't comprehend the finer points of mechanical features.

Form over function... And avoiding any situation where car preformance can be measured, seems to be a popular way to have a modified car.

As for the dignity theory, I'm sure some people feel that way but the majority don't feel the need to put on a 6 figure salary front when they don't have that. For some I'm sure its to show their workmanship by having the "coolest" looking Civic that looks sorta like a skyline if you squint... It's also to be unique I guess, any schmuck can buy a skyline but not many can build their own car...

Indylan is correct - things are much simpler. Some people want to differentiate themselves from the crowd hence they modify their cars.

Me, I don't really care about differentiating my car but when I think of it, it has modified tail lights and tinting so it looks different than the same model cars on the road.

My first car was similarly different. It had unique rust stains, peeling paint and sunroof sealed with a roof sealant so it looked like nothing else on the road :)

I've always wondered why people wear specific sports jerseys. Do they expect some of the greatness of the real player is going to rub off on them because they are wearing a shirt?

It's a show of allegiance, isn't it?

Although, psychologically, there's not a lot of difference between showing allegiance to someone and assuming you're great like they are. Everyone wants to be on the winning side.

I guess that's another case of appearance over function: if you can't contribute, express support, and it looks like you're with them.
LOL.gif

I could go with a favorite team jersey or ball cap or something but I see people wearing jerseys that have a specific player's name and number on it. I don't get it but it's their money...

Agreed.

Especially when you see those jerseys on people who very obviously couldn't even play the sport...

I also am not a sports jersey guy.
I don't get it.

Might as well get together and dress up like a construction worker, a police officer, an Indian, or a sailor.

Well a Laurel,Cefiro or Stagea would be pretty close to a Skyline - but I guess you don't get those in the US either.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Indylan is correct - things are much simpler. Some people want to differentiate themselves from the crowd hence they modify their cars.

Me, I don't really care about differentiating my car but when I think of it, it has modified tail lights and tinting so it looks different than the same model cars on the road.

My first car was similarly different. It had unique rust stains, peeling paint and sunroof sealed with a roof sealant so it looked like nothing else on the road :)

I've thought of debadging the "Park Avenue" from my Buick's rear fenders and putting a chromed "S380" on it instead. I'll bet a lot of posers would suddenly admire it, thinking it was a Mercedes or Lexus.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've always wondered why people wear specific sports jerseys. Do they expect some of the greatness of the real player is going to rub off on them because they are wearing a shirt?

Magical thinking -- the Law of Contagion: "Once in contact with something of power, always in contact with that something." That may be why they would value a shirt that actually belonged to the player.

As for a jersey that simply has the same number and logo as the player's, that's the Law of Similarity, or "like things produce like things," or "an effect resembles its cause."

Well, to do that, one must have back hair (no insult intended to those who are highly socialized apes ..from a knuckle dragging naked one)

I'm too cheap to part with $100 for a jersey with someone else's name on it.

If you want to wear jerseys with a name on them, I'll see you one with my name for 1/2 that
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Tempest

Magical thinking -- the Law of Contagion: "Once in contact with something of power, always in contact with that something." That may be why they would value a shirt that actually belonged to the player.

As for a jersey that simply has the same number and logo as the player's, that's the Law of Similarity, or "like things produce like things," or "an effect resembles its cause."

I think often the fan admires the qualities that the player brought to the game, that's why they have the specific jersey. Even in up here there are still many "3" stickers around for Dale Earnhardt. Some people like the way he drove, even how he lived off the track.
I picked 17 for my hockey jersey as I liked how Wendel Clark played, we don't even play contact so I can't actually play like him but he worked hard on all parts of the game so I do that atleast.

Round here there are gaggles of old, beat up rusty POS's with ugly body kits screwed on, primer only, mismatched rims, loud [censored] sounding mufflers, cheesy [censored] engine "side vents" like the buick lucerne taped on, stickers everywhere, ricey seat covers, fake hood scoops, blue lights, hideous ugly "altezza" style tail lights (usually half filled with water), spoilers, buzzing around.

It infuriates me. That I have to live in a world where there are scores of these people thinking their car is cool or fast, i mean, [censored], your 89 rusty brown accord looks even WORSE with an aluminum 2 tier spoiler! I dont care about different strokes for different folks, its just plain STUPID. Its tacky, ugly, makes one look like an idiot. Fact, not opinion. They think their 100hp motor is fast because it has an "intake" and exhaust.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Round here there are gaggles of old, beat up rusty POS's with ugly body kits screwed on, primer only, mismatched rims, loud [censored] sounding mufflers, cheesy [censored] engine "side vents" like the buick lucerne taped on, stickers everywhere, ricey seat covers, fake hood scoops, blue lights, hideous ugly "altezza" style tail lights (usually half filled with water), spoilers, buzzing around.

It infuriates me. That I have to live in a world where there are scores of these people thinking their car is cool or fast, i mean, [censored], your 89 rusty brown accord looks even WORSE with an aluminum 2 tier spoiler! I dont care about different strokes for different folks, its just plain STUPID. Its tacky, ugly, makes one look like an idiot. Fact, not opinion. They think their 100hp motor is fast because it has an "intake" and exhaust.

Think of it this way. The idiots are letting us know where they are so we can avoid or point & laugh at them. It's also fun to look at the add ons before seeing the person and then try to guess age & ethnicity. It's a fun game.

Yes, that's po;itically incorrect, but stereotypes exist for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back