Why do I have to take my laptop out of it's bag at the airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know why it is that I allways have to take my laptop out of the bag when I go through airport security? I have a bag that has my laptop, along with several other electronic devices. The only thing I have to take out is the laptop, and send it through the scanner seperately. They don't want me to turn it on. They don't care about the camera, pocket pc, etc. They even let me send an Xbox in a backpack through without even opening the bag.

What's so special about laptops? I guess I'll hide my bombs in the xbox...
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Down here if they take a dislike to you, they'll ask you to turn it on. (Try doing that on a laptop with a dead battery).

Last flight I went on, I finally made it through jacketless, shoeless, and beltless.

quote:

Last flight I went on, I finally made it through jacketless, shoeless, and beltless.

Shannow,
that wouldn't have anything to do with the full length black beard, dark sunnies, and Shemagh,(tea towel wrapped around the head) would it ???

Rick,

not quite

black (with silver pinstripes) goatee, along with black (also with silver pinstripes) shoulder length curly hair may have had something to do with it.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Down here if they take a dislike to you, they'll ask you to turn it on. (Try doing that on a laptop with a dead battery).

Yeah, they do that here with some people. But they ask every single person if they have a laptop. Very few actually have to turn it on.

they want to make sure it's not a bomb.

most of the airports i've been to make everyone turn them on.

an xbox is just plastic, so it's easy to scan.

a laptop is metal, different density plastics, etc... which could look like different things in the scanner.

the reason why they want only laptops is b/c of poor post-9/11 security flaws. they just don't want to admit it. people with weapons are still getting aboard (like me with a multi-tool multiple times - i wear it all the time so i forget it's there) and there are still many opportunites to wreak havoc, but it seems to be a forgotten subject after we threw billions of dollars at the problem.

terrorists can still pass for average people even with the new profiling laws. it's domestic terrorism that will get us later. individuals with non-detectable plastic sharpened utensils can do the same kind of damage that happened on 9/11.

sky marshalls can't be everywhere at once and neither can airport security and poorly managed security systems that are decades old.

sorry if i sound like a naysayer, but i try to be a realist. i know that when i step onto an airplane, enter a large building, ride the subway, that i could be a victim of terrorism and i accept it, since there is nothing i can do.

Because about two years ago some college student put his laptop through the X-ray machine and an X-Acto knife had fallen into it that he didn't know about.

(Tangent post)

Outruns security solution(s):

Stop selective screening except for level 1 threat passengers, ie those from threat indexed countries, watch listed, etc.

Hand search/Wand/Explosives sniff EVERY single passenger and carry on item.

Pilots being Armed? I see no problem with that, esp considering most were former military pilots already trained to shoot. Not to mention they always carried a mandated one on sorties as well.

Thank you Islamists for screwing us democracies over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back