Why Dino oil price going up??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in the store while purchasing oil, that the dino oil is the same price as blended oil. Infact, the blended oil happened to be on sale even, for less than dino, and full syn was on sale for the same price as dino, but dino wasn't on sale, and has always been a bit cheaper than blend.

I don't believe I have seen a bottle of "Conventional" oil that meets Dex G2 spec's. Blends meets Dex 1.

The story I had heard is that all larger, heavier items such as oil have had a price increase due to the trucking industry going to the electronic log books, but I could easily be wrong...

Well, it actually seems, conventional has gone up, while blended came down. When I was using conventional, I was paying about $15 for a 5 qt jug. I switched to blended, it went for about $25 for the 5 qt jug. Now they are both at about $18 for the 5 qt jug, but the blend goes on sale often, while conventional does not, so at the right time, you can get blend cheaper than conventional...blend was just on sale tonight for $14.49, so pretty significantly cheaper than conventional

Because the "dino" is now a syn blend
smile.gif

Try ordering Chevron Supreme online and pickup in store at Walmart.com, you can buy it for just under $13.00 and is a top notch oil. I used it for many many years. I still use it in my ODE. 5W20, 5W30 are blends!, 10W30 is not. Does not say blend on label, but you can read it on their website. Try and find someone that has something bad to say about Chevron Supreme. Not going to find it on this site.

I listed 5W20 because its the only up to date weight, the 30 weight is way out of date!

http://pqiadata.org/Chevron_Supreme_5W20.html

10W40 CS is expensive. You can buy a quality full synthetic cheaper. Anyone know why that is? Im guessing not many people purchase it.

Chevron 10W40

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'd like to see more 10W40 otc synth offerings.

I'm not really sure, but the STP that is on clearance right now might be full synthetic 10W40 and blended buy Warren depending on where you are located. Check the Autozone clearance thread. $10.00 per 5qts.

My hope is to eventually see a severe reduction in Dino odd weight oils. Synthetics have become more affordable and do a lot more. New cars don't need conventional anymore. Plus winter is coming so I would like to have the best oil possible in the motor.

Check the MSDS links for all brands. The majority of which list their "Conventional" offerings as Synthetic Blends.

Ok, so I understand, now, that what was conventional is now technically a blend, which justifies the price going up a bit....but why are they selling their advertised high mileage blend for equal or even less than their "entry level" oil?

I can't comment on that. Around here, the regular retail price for all "labelled" Blends is higher than "labelled" Conventionals. Sale prices are different. The two exceptions being Super Tech syn and QSUD (Walmart pricing) which are within pennies of big brand Conventional oil prices.

Even on Amazon you often see sale prices for Synthetic lower than regular retail Conventional.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'd like to see more 10W40 otc synth offerings.

How many do you need? There is not a dimes worth of difference Between the brands with similar ratings.

The more newer cars are sold, the more Synthetic Oil will be sold as a % of the total oil market. Once something falls in volume below a critical mass, it's price goes up as it becomes more expensive to produce, inventory through the wholesale chain and stock at retail. At the same time, Synthetic becomes less expensive for the same reasons, only in reverse.

Perfectly normal, and follows standard Economic Theory, so not surprising in the least.

Originally Posted by Onetor
10W40 CS is expensive. You can buy a quality full synthetic cheaper. Anyone know why that is? Im guessing not many people purchase it.

Chevron 10W40

How many people have a need for it anyway ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back