Why Can't I use this Peak in, uh, Everything?

So I mean this Peak, NOT the Global or Long Life:

https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/peak-antifreeze-coolant-full-strength/

Reading the description, it is an OAT that is 2-eha, silicate, and nitrite free. It's also $14 with tax a gallon right now for the concentrate at NAPA, or about 1/2 any other OAT with those characteristics you can find.

Before I posted this I did search back several years but found nothing regarding this Peak product but only the LL, GL, and new OE lines.

I'm coolant-picky but after a bunch of research I wouldn't hesitate to use that new Peak formulation in anything.

Looking at prices for 10X concentrate, AAP currently has for ~$18. Not lowest I've seen. However, order online using 25% off code like PC25, brings it to ~$13.50/gal with store pick up. AAP 25% off codes usually easily found on sites like retailmenot.com.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Looking at prices for 10X concentrate, AAP currently has for ~$18. Not lowest I've seen. However, order online using 25% off code like PC25, brings it to ~$13.50/gal with store pick up. AAP 25% off codes usually easily found on sites like retailmenot.com.

Pep Boys on sale. Like Black Friday.

Is this the stuff you guys are talking about? Would you use this in a Mazda that calls for FL22?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Is this the stuff you guys are talking about? Would you use this in a Mazda that calls for FL22?

[Linked Image]

Yeah

assuming its the same thing, I just put the 50/50 version of this into my 01 jeep with the 4.0. Wasn't sure if I should keep it in or swap to something else.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

[Linked Image]

Yeah

So this is some super universal formula? "Yeah" doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Do I need to flush all the previous FL22 out thoroughly? Or is can I throw this stuff right in?

Last edited:
I tried to find a replacement for FL22 for a while. Finally I just gave up. The FL22 is premixed 55/45 which is a bit strange - so I just let Mazda be Mazda, and went with it.

But to answer your question - I think the Mazda procedure says to dump the radiator, refill with distilled water, run it (but not overhead it I guess), and then dump again.

So they seem to recommend a half-way flush even when refilling with FL22.

Some Mazda folks says the Pentofrost A2 works (also green). It did not seem to be much of a savings so I just went with FL22.

So I think the best answer you will get is a qualified maybe - just because no one seems to know what FL22 is, or what Mazda was thinking. There are a couple historical posts on this also.

I tried to find a replacement for FL22 for a while. Finally I just gave up. The FL22 is premixed 55/45 which is a bit strange - so I just let Mazda be Mazda, and went with it.

But to answer your question - I think the Mazda procedure says to dump the radiator, refill with distilled water, run it (but not overhead it I guess), and then dump again.

So they seem to recommend a half-way flush even when refilling with FL22.

Some Mazda folks says the Pentofrost A2 works (also green). It did not seem to be much of a savings so I just went with FL22.

So I think the best answer you will get is a qualified maybe - just because no one seems to know what FL22 is, or what Mazda was thinking. There are a couple historical posts on this also.
I picked up a few gallons of the Pentofrost A2 concentrate for $10 a gallon when AZ had it on 'CLEARANCE' a few years ago. I used it in some family members Mazda's and Hyundai's with no issues. I also picked up some of this PEAK 10X concentrate last year when AZ 'cleared' it for $8 a gallon....I'll probably use it in my Ford's eventually.

So I mean this Peak, NOT the Global or Long Life:

https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/peak-antifreeze-coolant-full-strength/

Reading the description, it is an OAT that is 2-eha, silicate, and nitrite free. It's also $14 with tax a gallon right now for the concentrate at NAPA, or about 1/2 any other OAT with those characteristics you can find.

Before I posted this I did search back several years but found nothing regarding this Peak product but only the LL, GL, and new OE lines.
Thanks! I'm doing the entire Intake gasket replacement on my 2001 Buick LeSabre and this coolant might be a great alternative to the DexCool. (2-eha).

So what's the verdict on this Peak 10X stuff? Is it an actual "all makes, all models" if the previous coolant is properly flushed? Target has the concentrate for 11.99, perfect for my 5 vehicle fleet.

So what's the verdict on this Peak 10X stuff? Is it an actual "all makes, all models" if the previous coolant is properly flushed? Target has the concentrate for 11.99, perfect for my 5 vehicle fleet.
Yes, yes and yes..... Makes it real easy!

Back