Why aren’t we recycling more?

I've long said if the money or circumstance is right, we'll start "mining" the landfills again like we did in WW2.
I’ve thought this alone was a good reason to separate. If not of value today, then maybe some time in the future.

I’ve thought this alone was a good reason to separate. If not of value today, then maybe some time in the future.
Where I live they started a recycling program . The main reason was to extend the usable life span of the new landfill . They had just closed the existing landfill because it was just plain full . The cost of buying land and jumping through all of the State and Federal hoops that were required to open another were incredibly expensive . I understand the logic but sometimes I wonder what's really happening to the material that is being separated ..

We've had a curbside recycling program for ever. Lots of trucks burning diesel fuel, lots of employees paid $$$, adds $ to the property taxes BUT, everyone feels good.

Until, it's found out most of the stuff is getting shipped to China and they are burning it as fuel. Politicians run for cover and throw municipal managers under the bus. Lather rinse repeat.

Back