Why are horse trailers typically 24" less wide than most enclosed trailers?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Most enclosed trailers in length of 16 feet or more are eight foot wide. Horse trailer of same or more length are generally six foot wide.

Why are most horse trailers two feet less than their enclosed trailer counterparts?

Most enclosed trailers in length of 16 feet or more are eight foot wide. Horse trailer of same or more length are generally six foot wide.

Why are most horse trailers two feet less than their enclosed trailer counterparts?
My guess would be to help stable the horse on the road. 8’ is not enough for 3 wide but with 6’ is perfect for 2 stalls width wise. This is just a guess. I’m no horse guy. I do love horses though.

8' enclosed trailers have the wheel wells inside the box, do horse trailers have the wheel wells in the box. It would seem that would be a problem trying to lead them in or out.

...guess is that you want the horse generally alinged fore/aft. if allowed to stand perpendicular then they may fall over when you hit brakes or throttle.

Most are angle haul. Its usually easier on their legs than standing directly front back.

Some larger, warm blood trailers are wider but they are built for a larger horse.

We have a small 2 horse trailer. I think they are set up that way because you really don't want the horse to be able to move to much. I know when we load our horse it's a snug fit.

Seems high CG and “live load” needs to stay centered for stability …
Many of them are gooseneck … see lots of 3500 dualies get the call …

Back