Why are DI cars dirty?

What were that guy's driving conditions?
What brand oil did he use?
What mileage did he change his oil?

That's a 2.0 engine CX-5 from INDONESIA.
His driving conditions probably aren't the same as mine are here in Colorado.

Also, those deposits on his motor aren't even worth fretting about.
Why don't you pull up some images of valve deposits from earlier GDI VW's instead.
Those are an issue, where they wrap around the valve stem, and decrease the size of the intake runner path, preventing air from entering the combustion chamber, decreasing power and performance.

The guy lives in indonesia, and it's the 2.0 engine cover from the looks of it, unless you're saying its actually the 1.6 engine instead?

As I know, Mazda engine production is mainly in Japan at three locations and at the MTMUS plant in Alabama plus the plant in Salamanca Mexico. They started to make transmissions in Thailand recently.

Hoping doing 3,000 mile OCI's with a good oil/filter will help with that if they have not fixed it. If they are failing due to soot from GDI, then I'd think it would help.
It has been fixed. This has been discussed on here in depth.

We have a 2.0 LTG that is direct injected, and it is a pretty quiet, smooth-running engine.
I think we are seeing like 27 mpg combined and 33ish on the highway. Not super but at 252Hp and 295FT/lbs of torque that
isn't horrible.

This applies to diesel engines, which has been the case since diesel fuel was invented. Are you saying that it applies to gas engines as well?

What's that have to do with carbon deposits in the engine? Or are you referring to cans of black spray paint? I'd think black particles released into the atmosphere would block the sun and cause global cooling.
That has happened many times in the past. The biggest, and perhaps most notorious, resulted from the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. Some major volcanic eruptions have done likewise, but on a smaller scale, of course.

Let's not forget that manufacturers have been adding PFI back and many engines use dual-fuel delivery systems that have both GDI and PFI.
I'm familiar with Toyota and perhaps Ford? What other mfgs are using dual injection systems?

Does a dual injection system mitigate the problem originally posted?

the smoke on startup baffles me. This is cleaner and more efficient? I see so many GM products emit a black diesel like cloud on cold start-up (is that an actual problem to any degree)? And there's the allusion to soot particles getting into the atmosphere ...

The contribution of black carbon aerosols into the atmosphere will lead to a measurable increase in solar radiation and ultimately be a major contributor to global warming.

It seemed like a good idea while the guys were sitting at the bar but it's something that isn't delivering the promises. Who knows, maybe it was all planned from the beginning in order to give another argument to support the cessation of the internal combustion engine and promote the EV promise. If you can't believe your own eyes then what can you believe?
Is the stuff coming from a tailpipe an aerosol?

I'm familiar with Toyota and perhaps Ford? What other mfgs are using dual injection systems?

Does a dual injection system mitigate the problem originally posted?

the smoke on startup baffles me. This is cleaner and more efficient? I see so many GM products emit a black diesel like cloud on cold start-up (is that an actual problem to any degree)? And there's the allusion to soot particles getting into the atmosphere ...
Might have more to do with the rich starting mixture. You know, kinda like full choke, but only for a second or two. Still has to be better in the long run.

Yes, an aerosol is defined as a colloidal suspension of particles dispersed in air or gas.
Would a volcanic eruption then be considered an aerosol? Both tailpipe emissions and eruptions are particles dispersed in air or gas.

Would a volcanic eruption then be considered an aerosol? Both tailpipe emissions and eruptions are particles dispersed in air or gas.
I'd say so, yes - chemically speaking. The tail pipe emissions would be considered anthropogenic, or, man created. The volcanic eruption would not.

Right.

But please read my post. Why the flocking to sooty GDI?
Because on the highway and at operating temperature they're much more efficient. GDI engines can run very lean and at much higher compression ratios (I've heard of them running as lean as 80:1) during steady cruising without blowing up the engine. Being able to delay injection until right before the plug fires is what enables this, with port injection fuel must be injected with the intake stroke, running a lean mixture on an engine with an 11:1 or greater CR with PFI would lead to catastrophic engine knock.

I shoud have taken a video. Every cold startup (0F) the '12 Buick Enclave would emit black smoke for at least 30 seconds. My brother in laws '16 Traverse did the same thing. And my MILs 16 Enclave the same.

None of my PFI vehicles emit black smoke on startup. Light blue for 5 seconds or less when it is below zeroF.

The tailpipe of my '20 RAM promaster 3.6 PFI pentastar with 45k on it. I think you get the point.
20220730_195032.jpg

Last edited:
Back