Who's usin' Redline? - Real world experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered some from ogracing.com. They are in VA. They are also the cheapest place I have found. No tax and if you order over $100 free shipping. Very fast shipping. I get my oil the second day after ordering.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Never paid tax at Amazon either.

It must be some NY thing. I ordered RL Complete fuel system cleaner and paid tax, Purolator oil filters, and paid tax, and recently a grease gun and paid tax.
frown.gif

I paid online tax for the first time ever just the other w/ the AAP deal online. For a decade now of shopping online, that was my very first ever tax online paid.

I was ordering from Dougherbert.com. gallon size come out to roughly 7.34 a qt. Basically I was paying 8.40 shipped per qt. I have it delivered to the shop locally now for 7.20 a qt.

Dougherbert.com is the ticket

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I was ordering from Dougherbert.com. gallon size come out to roughly 7.34 a qt. Basically I was paying 8.40 shipped per qt. I have it delivered to the shop locally now for 7.20 a qt.

The price went up.
I want to pick up another gallon of 5w30 and the cost was $35.99 or $9.99 Qt without shipping.
Other weights were $41.99 and $43.99.

Thats possible I haven't ordered there in like 5 months. Let me rephrase that, they were the ticket

After the 0w20 run, I'm going to compare it to their 5w20. Less VII's.

Where are you finding redline oil for 7.20 per quart?????

What are you running the 0-20 in Buster?

Mazda 3. Almost 8,000 on the oil now.

I am using Redline 0W30 right now and love it. Starts nice and easy in the cold. 2,000 miles on it so far and will be leaving it in for awhile.

Originally Posted By: qship1996

Where are you finding redline oil for 7.20 per quart?????

It gets delivered to my shop from the local distributor. Of course I don't pay retail this way

I spoke with Dave yesterday about using it in my 08 Jeep, he strongly recommended using their 5W20 over the 0W20, unless temps dipped to -15*F or lower, and without the aid of a block heater. Their 0W20 has an amazing pour point, and the 5W30 is about as close to a 30 grade oil as you can get.

Interestingly, I have been using RL 5w-30 for 8,400 miles so far. I plan on doing the factory standard 15,525 mile OCI in my 2000 BMW 323i.

Redline has been a mixed experience for me.

First off, their 10w-40 car oil vaporized in my Kawasaki EX250 at the rate of about one quart per week. I was very surprised watching it burn off so fast. I now use Valvoline VR-1 20w50 year round (+5 F to +100 F ambient) and it is a terrific oil. It boasts very low friction for such a high grade and extremely low valve train wear rates. Start up is a breeze even at 5 degrees. Oil burn off is entirely negligible and immeasurable.

As for my car,

The trouble I have had with the 5w-30 is cold start hydraulic lifter clatter when below 60-70 F ambient. However, there was a bulletin posted years ago regarding this issue with some oils and it is deemed entirely harmless by BMW engineers themselves. It is simply annoying for a few seconds. I did not have this issue with Valvoline 15w-40 HDEO and Castrol GTX 5w-20, but that was in the summer. I am contemplating changing to 10w-30 grade next oil change rather than a 0w-40 because I need a very high HT/HS viscosity for my driving style and I am not sure what to use. I have no clue whether a change in low temperature viscosity will alleviate the symptoms I am having at start up. In general, lower viscosity oils also have a lower HT/HS viscosity.

It seems that their 5w-30 has a lower coefficient of friction than all of the other oils I used so I can glide further when I let off the gas.

Although just about every fan of using Redline products in their BMWs recommends MTL, I am going to switch up to MT-90 in my manual transmission because the MTL does not provide the smoothest shifting performance. I have experimented with MT-90 in my friend's manual BMW and I am pleased with the results. I may post more about this in a few months.

Last edited:
Redline will void most new vehicle warranties, will it not? I went to their website and I don't see an API starburst anywhere, no GM6094 or GM4718 or any others,nor do I see a Redline warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back