Whole House Generator ?

I am considering a whole house generator. I am leaning towards Kohler. I received a quote yesterday for a 24KW from a distributor.

I went to their website to try and size it and came up with 20KW last night (after I got the original quote)

I have not questioned the original quote as to why he recommended a 24KW vs what the Kohler website recommended.
I am trying to get knowledge from you before I question the quote. Yes, I know a 20KW is a LOT cheaper. It appears to
be about 1/2 the price of a 24KW. Do any of you know why for only 4 more KW the cost is double?

Thanks!

EDIT EDIT EDIT

PLEASE NOTE &WKN((*L390VDJ84JVJ[WC[4U40SD......

MY QUOTE WAS FOR A 20KW. I GOT TWO QUOTES. ONE WAS FOR A 24K AND I ASSUMMED THEY WERE BOTH
FOR 24KW. THAT PART IS INCORRECT. YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE TO READ ANY FURTHER....

Last edited:
Wow that's big. You don't have to run everything. You don't wan to way oversize due to running costs.
Plus you have to consider noise - look for low dBA ratings. Some of the bigger will have bigger mufflers - but that is something you could retrofit cheaply.

I hope you have a gaspropane range. A nd I hope you will have a gaspropane generator :)
When we had a 1 week long outage after an Ice storm in 2008 - none of the gas stations within 20 miles had power. If you go to one that had power they were out of gasoline.

At my House I marginally get by with 6000kw. That cost only $775 bucks to buy.
The hardest load is the well pump and the oil burner/boiler.
LED lights use nothing I don't run a electric dryer when on the Jenny

Last edited:
I am considering a whole house generator. I am leaning towards Kohler. I received a quote yesterday for a 24KW from a distributor.

I went to their website to try and size it and came up with 20KW last night (after I got the original quote)

I have not questioned the original quote as to why he recommended a 24KW vs what the Kohler website recommended.
I am trying to get knowledge from you before I question the quote. Yes, I know a 20KW is a LOT cheaper. It appears to
be about 1/2 the price of a 24KW. Do any of you know why for only 4 more KW the cost is double?

Thanks
For double the price for a marginal 4000 watts, I'd think really hard about what I needed to use in that rare situation... that might mean LED lights and my central a/c or furnace blower, etc. but not necessarily counting on doing any laundry (drying clothes) or using the dishwasher, say. Very few people have standbys up here, but in my experience 20,000 watts is quite a lot. Do you have gas for any major appliances (water heater, range, etc)? Gas for heat? Are you on a well? Any other unusual power needs?

I have propane. I want to run everything. I'm getting older and imagining me making numerous trips to get gas when
the roads are ice covered. LOL

For double the price for a marginal 4000 watts, I'd think really hard about what I needed to use... that might mean LED lights and central a/c or furnace blower, etc. but not necessarily counting on doing any laundry (drying clothes) or using the dishwasher, say. Very few people have them up here, but in my experience 20,000 watts is quite a lot. Do you have gas for any major appliances (water heater, range, etc)? Gas for heat? Are you on a well? Any other unusual power needs?
I use propane water heater and for back up heat with my furnace. I want it to run my AC is summer. I do want everything to run.

I don't know the specifics of your house but 20kw will run most houses. Biggest loads are going to be anything that uses 220V

You also say you have propane. A 20Kw and 24kw generator are going to suck down a lot of propane.

I have propane. I want to run everything. I'm getting older and imagining me making numerous trips to get gas when
the roads are ice covered. LOL
If you want to be able to run everything, then I'd do a calculation on everything in your house and go from there - dishwasher uses maybe 2000 watts, central ac or heat pump uses ~5-6000 based on tonnage, electric dryer uses ~2750 watts, fridges are probably 750 or so watts, all lightbulbs and other loads should be counted, etc.

Most of the people I know living in my area are buying the Generac 22KW from Lowes.

I'm thinking you can delete the load from the oven. That's just a small inconvenience during a black out. That way if you have an electric stove you don't have to run out and buy a gas stove and get a gas line run to it. Also, you can delete the load from an electric clothes dryer. Another minor inconvenience. Dishwasher? Come on. You can rough it. Most owners of whole house generators never actually get to use them.

If you want to be able to run everything, then I'd do a calculation on everything in your house and go from there - dishwasher uses maybe 2000 watts, central ac or heat pump uses ~5-6000 based on tonnage, electric dryer uses ~2750 watts, fridges are probably 750 or so watts, all lightbulbs and other loads should be counted, etc.
That's what I did on the Kohler website last night around 11 pm. It came up with 20KW.

I use propane water heater and for back up heat with my furnace. I want it to run my AC is summer. I do want everything to run.
What would your power outage scenario/disaster be in the Summer in VA?
Tornado taking down lines?

Maybe you need a pony engine powered AC compressor, then you will have less losses.

I'm thinking you can delete the load from the oven. That's just a small inconvenience during a black out. That way if you have an electric stove you don't have to run out and buy a gas stove and get a gas line run to it. Also, you can delete the load from an electric clothes dryer. Another minor inconvenience. Dishwasher? Come on. You can rough it. Most owners of whole house generators never actually get to use them.
You make some very valid points. Full disclosure, I just got power after being out 3 days. Maybe I am a little foggy...

What would your power outage scenario/disaster be in the Summer in VA?
Tornado taking down lines?

Maybe you need a pony engine powered AC compressor, then you will have less losses.
LOL. Thunderstorms. Couple times a year. Usually less than 2 days max.

I don't know if you are trying to help with the "pony engine" or just trying to get a grin.

I wish someone could answer my question.

Why a 24KW cost twice as much as a 20KW?

I appreciate your input but all I want to know is the answer to that question before
I call the quote guy back.;)

Yep... this is what I'm thinking. No way I'd pay double to be able to run my entire house and all my appliances at once. Were it mine, I'd go 20k at a maximum and be judicious with the use of electric appliances on the generator. No need to have the dryer, dishwasher, stove and oven, microwave, etc. all running at the same time. Would I want heat/ac and a hot shower, plus the ability to make a meal? For sure.

I'm not sure why the smaller one is so much cheaper; that'd be your contractor's pricing decision. Online prices seem to be not too different.

Yep... this is what I'm thinking. No way I'd pay double to be able to run my entire house and all my appliances at once. Were it mine, I'd go 20k at a maximum and be judicious with the use of electric appliances on the generator. No need to have the dryer, dishwasher, stove and oven, microwave, etc. all running at the same time. Would I want heat/ac and a hot shower, plus the ability to make a meal? For sure.

I'm not sure why the smaller one is so much cheaper; that'd be your contractor's pricing decision. Online prices seem to be not too different.
Excellent points. The price comparison is coming directly off the Kohler website. His quote was less.

Back