Who uses microfiber towels?

Chime in if you use and like microfiber towels.

I'm still puzzled at why they are used. You ever try to use one? Ever try to dry a car off with one? You are there a l l d a y l o n g.

My 35 year experience with drying towels is this.

1.Chamois - THE clear stand out towel for removing water.
2.Cotton towel - Good but a bit lacking compared to a real chamois. Still a solid choice if you lack a chamois. Cotton is highly absorbent compared to #3 below.
3.Microfiber towel - Nothing but a water pusher. Does not absorb anything. Why? The fibers are made of polyester PLASTIC. Once I found out what they were made from, made total sense. I've even tried the high dollar ones and never placed in the clothes dryer ect....... Still a total failure.

Microfiber is ALL I use. They do absorb better once they get slightly damp, but it's better than dragging a terry towel across the surface and buffing out the scratches later. Terry towels are one of the reasons I don't let dealerships or full-service car washes wash my car.

Some folks swear by a chamois. Used them on my parents cars when I was a kid, and later when I detailed cars at a dealership. Never again. What a pain in the butt if you don't have a power wringer.

I use them a bit on certain things, such as polish for small scratches (not wax). Wheels sometimes, interior cleaning, and other small jobs.
I never try to dry a car with them, that is left to my Chamois or a terrycloth towel.
I also never use them to remove wax, unless there is some kind of tar or other crap that I need to remove.
Once again, that job is left for a very soft, well worn terry towel.

Depends on which one you use. Some super thin microfiber towels don't pick up anything. The long hair or fiber ones do pick up well. Chamois are ok but they don't air dry quickly. I hang the microfiber towel and it dries quickly without getting hard or crusty.

I use waffle microfiber that absorbs and dries at least as well as a chamois without the shearing on the paint.

I use other types for different uses. Some dont have great absorption of water.

All i use. Got these yesterday:

61CCC679-55E0-40FE-872F-DDC75CA444FA.jpeg

Chime in if you use and like microfiber towels.

I'm still puzzled at why they are used. You ever try to use one? Ever try to dry a car off with one? You are there a l l d a y l o n g.

My 35 year experience with drying towels is this.

1.Chamois - THE clear stand out towel for removing water.
2.Cotton towel - Good but a bit lacking compared to a real chamois. Still a solid choice if you lack a chamois. Cotton is highly absorbent compared to #3 below.
3.Microfiber towel - Nothing but a water pusher. Does not absorb anything. Why? The fibers are made of polyester PLASTIC. Once I found out what they were made from, made total sense. I've even tried the high dollar ones and never placed in the clothes dryer ect....... Still a total failure.
You need a dedicated drying towel for drying. Microfiber isn't the correct towel to use.

@slomo , you have a misconstrued opinion about Microfiber towels. This video goes into the simple basics of how they are made.

Also, if you are using a chamois, you will need to check how that chamois was made. The traditional chamois was a animal product. Today, most chamois is synthetic and comes from similar sources as Microfiber.

Back