Who uses chevron supreme/havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read the test results and concluded that chevron supreme and havoline are good oils, I'm curious to know who uses these oils even though they don't have moly?

I don't use them-I'm addicted to syn. But Supreme is going in my mother-in-law's car next change. She does only very short trips and puts less than 3K miles on the vehicle each year. I do a once per year oil change. After the Supreme I would probably go with GTX-yet I loathe Castrol
frown.gif

[ February 24, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Hey! I use them both. I put Chevron Supreme 5-W-30
in my 2002 Grand Am for two oil changes. The first one had the analysis posted here by Terry Dyson. The 2nd one has been sent to Terry for another analysis,and the results should be posted here soon.

I had trouble locating Chevron Supreme when I changed oil last week so I put in Havoline 5-W-30.

My ( change oil soon )lite came on with only 5,342 miles of service.. Much sooner than last time. Cold weather maybe?

Bill

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Williams:
Hey! I use them both. I put Chevron Supreme 5-W-30
in my 2002 Grand Am for two oil changes. The first one had the analysis posted here by Terry Dyson. The 2nd one has been sent to Terry for another analysis,and the results should be posted here soon.

I had trouble locating Chevron Supreme when I changed oil last week so I put in Havoline 5-W-30.

My ( change oil soon )lite came on with only 5,342 miles of service.. Much sooner than last time. Cold weather maybe?

Bill

Definitely cold weather. The longer your engine spends in warm up mode the faster the GM oil life monitor counts down to zero. Here is an article describing how the GM oil life monitor works:

http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200003-en.pdf#dst03

Al says:

"But Supreme is going in my mother-in-law's car next change. She does only very short trips and puts less than 3K miles on the vehicle each year. I do a once per year oil change. After the Supreme I would probably go with GTX-yet I loathe Castrol ."

Pinch me and wake me up.
wink.gif

I use Chevron Supreme 10W30 in two vehicles. I have run this in my '99 Crown Vic for the last three oil changes. I just changed the oil recently and I'm going to run this fill out to 5K (with a SuperTech ST2 filter) and then send to Blackstone/Dyson for analysis.

I will post the results but it is going to be a while. I will put about 3K on the car in March so that should help speed things up a bit
smile.gif

I do the maintenance on my little brother's 95 Camaro and I use Chevron Supreme due to the very good oil analysis' i've seen on this board. I feel pretty confident that the Chevron w/o the benefit of Moly will provide great wear numbers for a standard 3K mile interval. I will put my money where my mouth is next month when I change his oil and have it analyzed. My plan is to Auto Rx his engine which I don't think was taken very good care of by the previous owner and then switch to Schaeffer Supreme as I have 96 quarts on the way to me as we speak
grin.gif
However, his current driving record has me thinking the car will be in a junkyard very soon so I should just X the Auto Rx and Schaeffer oil and stick with $1.08 Chevron.

I use Havoline in my Jeep, and Chevron in my wifes Nissan. I will be using Chevron in both after this. I think theny are the same oil. Even though the 5w-30 is much better in the HAvoline for cold pumping. Havoline 5300cp vs Chevron 6300cp.

The latest spec. sheets for Chevron Supreme and Chevron/Texaco (not Equilon) Havoline are identical. I printed them out and compared each one. I believe it is now the same oil in a different bottle which is fine with me. Gives me more opportunities to find the oil and occasionally catch a sale like the recent .99/qt. for Havoline at K-Mart.

I'm amazed that many dino oils are now in the $1.75 to $2.00 range. I certainly won't pay double when I know I can buy a decent oil in the 1.00 to 1.10 range.

I wonder if the Havoline sold up here in Canada is the same as Chevron? Our stuff says it's from Texaco here in Ontario.
dunno.gif

HAvoline and Chevron are not the same uin the 5w-30. I just go toff the website. Havoline 5w-30 reads -30c/53, and Chevron reads -30c/63 for the cp.

JonS,

I only use the 10W30 and that is the only grade I compared. Unless my eyes were failing me they were identical.

Sounds like the 5W30 may be a different story.

The 10W30 works well for me. It even seems to flow well in the -10 to +20 weather we have been seeing often this winter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back