Who remembers Herter's From the Old days?

Back in the 60's and 70's the Herter's catalog and the Sears catalog and the Heathkit and Radio Shack catalogs showing up were 3 highlights of the year.

When a good friend was moving back to Virginia, he didn't want to haul all his reloading components with him. He gave a be a bunch of bullets; in the mix were more than a few boxes of Herter's .224" bullets.

In the 1960s I visited the Waseca store a few times. At that time they were the only store. I also liked Gopher and bought from them as well. Many/most of businesses from those days are now gone.

I remember them well. When I was a kid I used to send away for every free fishing catalog I could get my hands on. In the back of Field & Stream they used to have ads for catalogs. Never had any money to buy anything, but I enjoyed looking at fishing gear.

I ordered a number of items from the grand old Herter's catalog in the 1960's. I do recall the Herter's branded ammo at Cabela's about 20 years ago. Much trapping and other old school gear of all sorts way back. Other than apparel, way more than Cabela's, which be became a bare bones entity under Bass Pro.

Just sold some 'Herters 222 mag' brass

Good stuff

Even have a 'Herters' branded reloading scale.......top

0wrgG0Z.jpg

My father spent many hours at the dining room table winding guides on fishing rods, and making lures from Herters orders. I remember their catalogs. Wow, they had a lot of stuff!

I have a West German made Herters revolver. If you’ve never read one of George Herter’s books then you might want to. They are endlessly entertaining.

Back