Who makes FVP battery?

Does anyone know who makes the FVP Batteries at Menards? They have them priced right for our motor home house batteries till 4/10 they are $88.99 ang get 11% rebate.

I scrubbed the SDS and it revealed a reference to "AtlasBX Battery Company". Menards also sells several sizes of less expensive car batteries branded as "AtlasBX", so that makes sense.

So... from there, it appears that they are made by "Hankook AtlasBX America" in Clarksville, TN.

It appears that Hankook wants to get in the battery game, along with East Penn, Johnson Controls, and Exide. A plant in the south, producing batteries that could supply the auto plants for foreign manufacturers in the south... such as Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Volkswagen, Nissan... and beyond.

Last edited:
Thanks mrsilv04. It seems this vehicle battery manufacturer with a factory in the U.S. (brand new in 2020) was under the radar here at BITOG.

Thanks so much for that research.. And so quickly. I am going to try a pair of the group 27 batteries as my house batteries in my motor home. Don't think anyone can beat that deal around here..

So.... a follow up to all of this. Since Menards is selling AC Delco Advantage batteries right along side the FVP batteries and the AtlasBX batteries.... are those AC Delco batteries being made by Hankook AtlasBX as well?

Sure looks like it.

1617293524055.png

Thanks so much for that research.. And so quickly. I am going to try a pair of the group 27 batteries as my house batteries in my motor home. Don't think anyone can beat that deal around here..

If you have the height available in your battery compartment, and they offer them, you would likely be better off with two 6v golf cart batteries (GC-2) wired in series for 12v.

I have lots of experience, mostly bad, cycling flooded marine group 27's.
They always required ridiculous times, held at high voltages, for specific gravity to even approach what would be considered fully charged. Even with concerted effort to get good longevity from them, it proved a lot of effort and frustratingly useless, even if it was a good learning experience.

This is not just a battery brand/ manufacturer thing, but a BCI case size thing. I tried many different brands of 27's over the years and all performed similarly. They just can't handle regular deep cycling no matter who placed the sticker on them proudly claiming 'deep cycle'

It appears to be Lead to electrolyte ratio thing that seems to get even worse with the group 29/31 flooded marine batteries. This BCI battery size was intended as a high CCA starting battery, and it just does not convert well to a good marine or Deep cycle battery, and especially if one is not overly vigilant about returning them to a true full charge in a prompt manner when cycling them to below 80% state of charge and treating them right from cycle number one, not just starting hat attempt once they are noticeably compromised to the end user.

The golf cart 6v batteries are a true deep cycle battery, the marine batteries are just slightly modified starting batteries.

Where the 27's would outperform the 6v gc-2s, would be if powering large loads on the inverter. The 12's will be able to maintain higher voltage for longer

But if high inverter or other DC load are not anticipated, and if treated equally, the 6's will likely triple the accumulated cycles of the 27's.

The GC-2s in sams and Costco are usually a bit cheaper than the 27's, Don't know about Menards.

As always the lead acid battery lifespan is determined by average state of charge and average temperature, and deep discharges are a kick to the groin.
The best lead acid battery chronically undercharged will not last as long as the worst, kept at high states of charge.

Defects aside, if properly treated no battery should require using the warranty.
Batteries are effectively murdered by heat, and living in a chronic state of undercharge. The latter is endemic as it takes so long (3.5 hours minimum) to get from 80% to 100% state of charge, and that assumes a healthy battery held in the mid 14 volt range for that 3.5 hours, which few charger do.

That said if you often have hook ups when 'camping', then one could get away with the cheapest parallel 24s they can find.

The battery tray in our camper is made big enough to hold 3 group 27 batteries. It just has 2 in it. It is too short in space to hold golf cart batteries. The FVP's are rated at 660Amp and when I got them they were priced at 69.88 after the 11% rebate. The core charge is $10.00 and I turned 2 batteries in so they refunded that to my card. I will install them tomorrow when it is daylight. My charger is selective in how it charges. It starts out at 14.4v for 30 minutes and then it drops to 13.3 volts for 4 hours and then goes to a trickle charge. Now my next project is to make sure the 2000w inverter works and then fix or replace the generator transfer switch that never kicks in. Wanting to go camping very soon.

When charging via noisy thirsty annoying generator..
If behooves one to have an high amperage charging source which quickly brings the depleted battery bank to 14.4+v.

Think 55+ amps for a pair of 27s in parallel.

When still healthy, the depleted battery bank can reach 80% state of charge in under an hour, with such a charging source.

80 to 100% takes no less than 3.5 hours more, no matter what.

Most charging on a genny, turn off the generator in the 80 to 85% SOC range, as the last 15 to 20% takes so long even on a charger holding the bank at higher voltage.

Several days of 50 to 80, and the bank is winded. And really wants the true full chaRge.

My dual 27 battery box, containing just one group 31 TPPL AGM, is getting a new lid designed..as i have four free relatively healthy AGM GC-2's for that spot. 2 of which can fit at once.

Currently Rebuiding the engine battery tray to accept the 31, and keep it cool and dry.

I don't think my menards sells many batteries, the last time I was in there I was looking what an AGM battery for my car costs and it had a 2017 sticker on it.

So.... a follow up to all of this. Since Menards is selling AC Delco Advantage batteries right along side the FVP batteries and the AtlasBX batteries.... are those AC Delco batteries being made by Hankook AtlasBX as well?

Sure looks like it.

View attachment 52174
interesting...the AC Delco battery I bought for a car in October of 2019 at Menards has Made in Korea on it along side all the usual GM stuff...I hadn't noticed that before...

and just a reminder for those who are looking...Johnson Controls hasn't made batteries for several years now...Clarios does in the same factory though...

Bill

Back