Who makes a decent printer these days?

Need suggestions for a new home office printer.

I currently have an Epson and I have to run a nozzle cleaning and head alignment EVERY time I print anything otherwise it WILL come out looking smeared and unreadable.

I also had two previous Epsons which were complete utter garbage so I want to avoid that brand entirely.

I need something that can print, scan and copy. It's been so long since I've bought a printer I don't know what's good anymore.

I'm a HP person... and I've had the HP Envy 4500 for a number of years now.

drawback... the cartridges are small.

The HP envy is also available with a document feeder for multiple page scans.

Need suggestions for a new home office printer.

I currently have an Epson and I have to run a nozzle cleaning and head alignment EVERY time I print anything otherwise it WILL come out looking smeared and unreadable.

I also had two previous Epsons which were complete utter garbage so I want to avoid that brand entirely.

I need something that can print, scan and copy. It's been so long since I've bought a printer I don't know what's good anymore.
Home office use, you want a laser printer. I have two Brother MFC's and have been perfect for me.

If you can do without the scanning and copying the Brother HL-L2370DW laser printer is great. Super fast, quiet and cheap to operate and the printing looks great.

I have both an HP LaserJet and an HP All-In-One InkJet and they have been great. I've run aftermarket toner cartridges in the LaserJet with zero problems, but I've only used HP ink cartridges that I have been able to get on sale for a decent price.

We had an Epson ink jet printer in the late 1990s, and it was a more trouble than it was worth! Also got a Lexmark inkjet all-in-one for free, and while it was an OK unit, it did go through the ink like a kid drinking pop!

I'll start doing some research into HP and Brother's offerings.

Copying and scanning is an absolute must for me because for my college assignments I have to print them out, do the work by hand, then scan it in and turn in the PDF.

And to answer the person who posted while I was typing this, I use the printer every day at least once. It doesn't sit idle longer than 2 days at the most.

Another vote for Brother. My color laser is going on 14 years and still gets the job done. Granted, we're not heavy users, but it made it through the kid's school and the wife printing......not sure what she prints, but it's always something.

Consumables are reasonable and there are no cartridge chips to worry about, so if I want, I can reset the counters and keep going until it won't print anymore before replacing things.

I am using the Brother HL-2270DW for BW printing and a Brother MFC-9130CW for color, copy and scan. Both are laser and very easy on toner.
I use both for my small business and home use and couldn't be more satisfied I would buy them again tomorrow if something happened to them. Previously I used HP, Canon and Lexmark and found them to be wasteful and always breaking down, all ended up in trash in less than a year.

Obviously still need to do my own research to determine which specific printer is best for myself but I definitely know which direction I will go brand-wise. Thanks everybody.

Brother MFC series are good and don’t bother you if you use 3rd party cartridges.Ye
Yep. I have a Brother MFC laser jet that has been flawless for several years. A toner cartridge lasts me a YEAR not weeks like an inkjet, and it won't clog up with non use. If you don't need color printing then laser jet is the way to go. Way cheaper and more reliable.

If you don't need color printing then laser jet is the way to go. Way cheaper and more reliable.
If you DO need color printing, laser is still the way to go, in my opinion.

I used to go through inkjets every year or two, till I got tired of replacing heads and/or cartridges every few months., which often total the cost of the printer itself.

I went to a Samsung (now owned by HP) multi-function color laser about 8-9 years ago and never looked back. I've gone through three sets of black toner (that's including the starter cartridge) in that time, color has been replaced twice. I don't print often, but it's nice to be able to fire it up and know it will print-- without an elaborate cleaning procedure that sucks up ink like no tomorrow.

If you need photo quality images, then inkjet should be in consideration, but I can't think of any other use case scenario where it excels over laser-- other than perhaps up-front price.

I don't print photos often enough for it to be a worry, anymore I just use the kiosk at Walmart or Walgreens to do it.

I very well may just go all in and switch to a laser printer. My aunt switched to one last year and she's loving it.

I have a larger Brother MFC-7860DW printer for the last 8 years with no problems. It only needed toners and drums so far. I can even print from my phone. It will never win a beauty contest it just works.

Canon Image Class MF445dw (black and white)

No more clogged inkjets no matter how long it sits around, awesome scanner and software, auto feed, everything works as it should for the past year or two now. Still on the same toner cartridge that came with it, granted, we dont print all that much. Scan and send almost just as much as print.

Last edited:
have an old HP 2540 deskjet.. probably cost $50 new. had it at least 10 years maybe more. when we had 3 kids in HS they would print a lot of stuff for school and we would go through 2-3 cartridge's a year that were $30 each.. now a ink cartridge will last us 3-4 years. about all we print is car insurance card and maybe a couple of tax forms 1099 forms at tax time maybe 20 pages max. my wife does scan things sometimes but no ink needed for that.

Canon and Brother laser printers give the best value. Both can use aftermarket toner cartridges. It does not take long for a laser printer to cost less than an ink jet.

Back