who has rebuilt a 700r4 before ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rebuilt a 4L60E this past summer. It's essentially a 700R4 without the TV cable and governor. The reason for the rebuild was the 3-4 clutch pack fried. I also added some modifications which came in this rebuild kit:

https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=320&cat=22&page=1

Buy a kit from a rebuilder that knows these transmissions. The rebuilder will typically include the necessary upgrades and "fixes" such as shift, spring and accumulator kits.

Removal, disassembly, re-assembly and re-installation was straight forward. Since it was a full rebuild and the mods I did are supposed to address known issues, no real close part inspection was needed. All the wear parts were included in the kit.

Check out some of this guy's videos for the 4L60E. It'll give you some idea of what's involved with the nuts and bolts of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hiramgutierrez

Besides common hand tools, you'll need some special tools:

1. Lock ring pliers; both straight and angled jaw. You can't get away with Craftsman or cheap HF pliers. Their jaws don't open wide enough to open some lock rings so they clear the retaining groove in some of the larger diameter shafts. I had to buy a set of SK pliers.

2. Spring compressors; some of the clutch packs have springs behind them that need compressing before you can remove their locking rings.

3. Bushing drivers; IIRC, there are around 11 bushings that need to be driven out and new ones driven in. After doing this using the correct bushing drivers, I would not attempt this with improvised tools.

4. Feeler gages or a dial indicator; some of the clutch packs require they be assembled with specific clearances. Input shaft end play also needs to be set within a certain range.

5. Teflon seal installation tools; these seals are solid Teflon rings with need to be stretched over the shaft and then shrunk back after getting them on the input shaft. A local trans shop might be willing to do this for you. You can use scarf cut rings but no one recommends using these.

6. Transmission jack; removing the transmission with a floor jack is do-able but a transmission jack makes it easier to tilt and yaw the trans making it easier to line up with the engine. Long bolts with the heads cut off can be used as line up dowels. Get a cheap ratchet strap as a safety precaution.

7. ATSG manual for the 700R4. This will describe the tear down and re-assembly procedure. If available, get the ATSG update manual for the 700R4 as well. This will describe factory upgrades.

8. Light viscosity assembly goo.

9. I bought some big aluminum baking sheets at a kitchen supply warehouse to use as catch pans while doing the bench work.

Assembly cautions:

1. Installing one-way clutches (sprags) in backwards.

2. Cutting lip seals during installation.

3. Forgetting or putting check balls in the wrong location.

4. Dirt.

Here's a good book for general knowledge. Read this and watch the videos before attempting this:

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Overdrive-Transmission-Builders-Swappers/dp/1932494502

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Right, definition of "dead tranny" would be helpful...

found it in my uncles garage, clean but no history of it.

put it in our 82 c10, drove it for 6 months. hauled a trailer to the dump and it started to slip in 3rd. drove home from the dump and it started to slip in all gears. pulled off the highwway and it never pulled out of 1st gear. truck sat for 4 years. with proper fluid level now the truck doesnt move in any gear.

thats what i define as dead

Sounds like more that just what a "soft kit" will fix... I'd try to determine if the pump is putting out pressure before I took it out.

As Trav said, you start having to buy hard parts it gets expensive fast...

one of the oil lines running up to the radiator started [censored] fluid out of a clamped hose so the pump is working. at this point, we had the truck for 26 years and its only broken 1 fan belt/needed 1 acc pump in the carb and a tranny cause we thought the TV cable was crusie on the original 82 tranny...

a grand to have a nation wide warranty on a truck i plan to restore is fine with me. i do believe the core is from the early 90s so the case and function is stronger..

this truck took me home from the hospital in 1992 after i was born, aint worth squat to sell and it got really good mileage when it was running

so after starting the truck a few times. the fluid level kept going down... i added about a gallon of fluid and the truck firmly shifts into reverse and all gears.( at idle )

i need to get a tire and see if the truck shifts from first now.. honestly a friend looked at the tv cabel and said it was 1000% mis adjusted. he checked the fluid and said it dont seem burnt but youll never tell unless your driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back