Who does the cooking in your house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do most of the cooking because I enjoy it. My wife helps some. With my parents, my mom cooks more but early in their relationship, my dad taught my mom how to cook.

I do most of the cooking - even though she works part time. I don't really like to cook (every day) but I like to eat, so..... if it were up to her, the kids would get fed pasta every day instead of a variety;

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I have a personal chef; Ken More.

My personal chef is Mr. Boyardee haha.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Mine is Boyardee.

I'm a big fan of "The Chef" myself.

Lived with my last GF for 5 years. Early on she did most of the cooking, then it was probably 50/50, towards the end I did the majority but she was in a high stress job and getting home at 6-7pm while I was pretty much on my own schedule. Dinner was a big deal for the most part, it helped level her out after a long day. I actually like cooking/have skills from trial and error and some teaching from a very cultured friend. When she moved out towards the end of the summer I was like man, thank god I don't have to cook ******* dinner. I don't think I ate a dinner for over a month. Food became the enemy. Probably didn't buy groceries for over month either, just dwindled down all the reserves here. Dropped 14 pounds in the process, back to single mode thin.

If your wife or whatever cooks regularly, don't take it for granted, it's a stress point to cook 5 nights a week. I would try to keep any S.O. cooking to a max of 3-4 nights a week. Friday, order take out. Saturday night, go out. Sunday cook something big you can eat for a couple days. Grill whenever possible. I would grill while it was snowing.

My wife does most of the cooking, and if she could be a chef with teachers pay and hours, she probably would be. I'm more of a chop it up and eat person, especially with veggies, which "isn't cooking" according to her. But I find if you put a plate of veggies out in front of the kids when they are hungry, you can get alot more into them instead of putting them into some fancy thai dish.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My wife does most of the cooking, and if she could be a chef with teachers pay and hours, she probably would be. I'm more of a chop it up and eat person, especially with veggies, which "isn't cooking" according to her. But I find if you put a plate of veggies out in front of the kids when they are hungry, you can get alot more into them instead of putting them into some fancy thai dish.

smell, color, texture, taste, phase of the moon have to be just right for that! and it never happens 2 days in a row...

or you can just tell them "i'm going to put this fancy salt on your previously bad taste food" (insert salt crusher with pink salt)

yep, veggies and kids....

I used to live alone and cooked for myself all the time. I actually enjoyed it as I got better. When I met my wife 16 years ago, she became the cook in the relationship. She's awesome. She started working again full time now that our son is getting bigger and I started feeling guilty that sge would work all day and then come home and prepare dinner.
I bought a couple of cast iron skillets and an electric pressure cooker and got back into it.
I also consulted the executive chef at my job and he helped me clean up some details. My son loves it when I cook... Not that we don't thoroughly enjoy my wife's meals.
At least this way, she gets a break and we don't end up eating takeout all the time.

The other night I made a spaghetti pie with broccoli raab and ground sausage. It was awesome.

Wife mostly but I cook enough that I wouldn't starve. This morning I used golden potatoes for home fry's with andouille sausage.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Garak

Mine is Boyardee.

I'm a big fan of "The Chef" myself.

I'm sure if Pop ever met him in person, he'd crack him over the head with an iron skillet.
wink.gif

We both cook based on who gets home first as our schedules are never the same way twice. Wife is the pressure cooker expert. Korma sauce, lima beans, garlic, carrots, and some meat makes one heck of a nice dinner with zero supervision required.

I am the grill guy, and also the "whip something up quickly" guy as I raised 3 kids as a single Dad!

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Bud
I cook, wife cleans up. Works out great.

Same at my house. Works excellent!

Ditto

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My wife cooks dinner and complains bitterly about it...I tell her that she can find a full time job that replaces my salary and I will work part time like she does now and learn how to make dinner.

I sympathize, but that is dangerous ground, my friend. Try being very complimentary and thank her every time she cooks. I know, I know, you shouldn't have to do that, but it will change her attitude about it. I've been there before and learned some valuable relationship tools in the process.

If she makes something that is OK to excellent, I tell her she did a great job. If it's not very good, I keep my mouth shut and she will usually tell me later that she didn't like it and ask what I thought...then I will tell her honestly that I didn't like it. If she likes it and I don't, she never really knows other than by my silence.
I don't tend to get much thanks for snowblowing, shoveling, mowing, painting, rebuilding, crawling around in the attic, cat cleanups, car maintaining, and bringing home 6X what she makes, so I don't feel overly obligated to fawn over her cooking. When I do run the grill, she will invariably tell me that it was really good and I now have the job of making dinner every night as a result...she doesn't care that this ticks me off every time and this is often what leads me to bring up the idea of her replacing my salary.
We've been married for over 20 years and together for about 25, so the relationship probably isn't going to get much better at this point. Sort of just waiting for our kid to grow up and get on her own feet at this point, although it is sad to admit that...

I hear ya, Virtus. I sure wish my ex-wife (married 15 years, now divorced for 13) had even once expressed appreciation for the things I did. But, I do wish I had expressed gratitude more frequently. I don't care anymore if it would have been unilateral. All I ever heard on the Saturday mornings when I needed to do some maintenance on her car was, "When are you going to be done? I want to go shopping." She never worked full time when we were married so the value of Saturday labor was lost on her. ONCE, when I changed the timing belt on my '89 Accord, she viewed the parts on the garage floor and noted, "How the heck do you know how to put all that back together?" That was the closest thing to a compliment I ever got.

We all have our crosses to bear, I suppose. I learned a lot about relationships from her. I'm pretty sure I'll never get married again, though, if I did, I will be a great husband as a consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back