White Rice

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been using and experimenting with rice since 1967, when (lovely) Rita made me my first Macrobiotic dish of brown rice and vegetables. I've used a variety of white and brown rices: arborio, jasmine, basmati, Carolina Gold, Carnaroli Rice, etc. But I've never (that I can recall) used just plain, long grain, white rice.

Is there much difference between brands of white rice? Which rice do you use, and why? I'd like to try some plain ol' white rice for some meals I want to make in the Instant Pot.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

I love basmati rice. Of course I'm probably addicted to rice after living overseas but there is something about the taste that is even more compelling to me.

I prefer Blue Ribbon brand long grain white rice. I usually cook mine in beef or chicken broth.
Bring 2 cups of broth to boil.
Add 1 cup long grain white rice and bring back to boil.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, fluff with fork, and enjoy.

I like parboiled white rice. The rice kernels don't stick together as badly as conventional rice, and the parboiling process moves nutrients from the husk to the kernel. The nutritional value is very close to brown rice, without the fiber. Uncle Ben's is probably the most recognizable brand, but Zatarains and many others are out there.

Rice is a big part of my diet. I have a steam wall oven. You use a little less water when making rice in such an oven.
Before that I used a Salton rice cooker. I have a bag of Botan rice.

I love rice. You cannot tell me that I cannot have rice with all my meals and a snack. Anywhoo, we used to eat Boton calrose rice when we were younger but switched over to jasmine rice.

Brands do matter a lot as well as long grain vs short grain. I've settled on Three Kings jasmine rice for everything. That's the brand my mom used as well, and you know nothing ever beats mom's cooking. If you have an asian or latin store, they should carry the popular brands. My friend's wife is Mexican and I guess short grain is traditionally used for their dishes; she changed over to the Jasmine rice I use now. She's a great cook too, I've learned a few things from her cooking.

I use a Zojurushi rice cooker that's probably coming up on 20 years old now. It's got a burn hole on it but it still cooks rice perfect! 1:1 ratio of rice to water.

Tips:
  1. I've never cooked rice in an instant pot, but 1:1 ratio of rice to water is the norm
  2. The rice bags that say "new crop, " take a slightly bit less water to cook.
  3. Don't touch it during cooking
  4. Fluff it around after it's done. This is pretty crucial
  5. You can do flavors by adding in chicken stock, beef stock, coconut milk, etc to your liking. I've done chicken stock and coconut milk before and like them both.
  6. You can try to make sticky rice by getting Thai Sweet Rice, letting it sit in water overnight, then cook it the next day with 1 less cup of water than normal; ie: 3 cups of rice with 2 cups of water instead of 3:3.
    1. If you do it this way, I strongly suggest adding in coconut milk for a nice slightly sweet rice; if you like coconut.

I got a cheap rice cooker and have been buying 10 lb bags of Jasmine rice at the Asian store.

One more thing, once you've mastered sticky rice, you can make nice to-go snacks by adding in chopped ham, green onion, sausages, eggs, etc into the sticky rice and rolling it into those small half-sized sandwich bags. My mom does this when I go home so I have something to eat for the 9 hour drive :cool:. Open up the bag and munch down on it without having to get your hands dirty and nothing falls out of the sticky rice roll.

Thanks for all that good information. I didn't know that new-crop rice might need to be cooked differently.

Fluff it around after it's done. This is pretty crucial
I generally do that, and I also cover the pot with a clean towel and put the lid on it, and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes before serving. I've always made my rice on the stovetop.

You can do flavors by adding in chicken stock, beef stock, coconut milk, etc
Many times I will cook the rice in chicken or vegetable stock. Sometimes I'll infuse the cooking liquid with herbs of some sort, or some hot peppers, strain the liquid and cook the rice in it.

You can try to make sticky rice by getting Thai Sweet Rice, letting it sit in water overnight...
I'll definitely try that.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

One more thing, once you've mastered sticky rice, you can make nice to-go snacks by adding in chopped ham, green onion, sausages, eggs, etc into the sticky rice and rolling it into those small half-sized sandwich bags. My mom does this when I go home so I have something to eat for the 9 hour drive :cool:. Open up the bag and munch down on it without having to get your hands dirty and nothing falls out of the sticky rice roll.
Love the idea. Great idea for a road trip :love:

Jasmine Thai rice is what my loving girlfriend eats all the time. I love to have that with brown gravy (pot roast style, McCormick) poured over it😋

Also, depending on just how much you eat/love rice, I would suggest investing in a Zojirushi or Tiger rice cooker. It just tastes better and is just as easy as using an Instant Pot but I can tell when certain types and brands of rice are cooked on the stove top, instant pot, rice cooker, and steamer. A steamer is the best but cleanup tends to be a bit more work.

Years ago there were health articles that were about the high arsenic levels in the US rice, due to fertilizer/herbicide use or something. I have always bought rice from East and Southeast Asia so this has never been a concern for me.

Back