White lithium vs regular lithium grease??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tried to search around to find an answer to this, but I'm still puzzled.

I understand that most automotive greases use lithium as a thickener (i.e. the soap which keeps whatever oil the grease has as its base). From what I can gather, the only difference with 'WHITE lithium grease' is that it has zinc-oxide added to it - but why? I've seen a few sources say that it's just for seeing where the grease got applied or whether it's contaminated (so purely visual benefits). Is this true?

When would you use white lithium grease over something else?

I have always associated white lithium as a "lesser" grease used on stuff with moderate needs and where the white color gives it better acceptance - i.e., it looks cleaner.

This Lucas description backs up my notions about light duty use: https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_White-Lithium-Grease.pdf

I also chuckle at how many people think that red, blue, green, whatever color associates a grease as being better.

" Molly " grease is BLACK . ( And VERY messy. )

I am of the impression it is for high stress applications .

A late Uncle of ours was a mechanic . He used to swear by the white Luberplate .

When I purchased grease for a Garand , I went down to O'Reilly auto parts and chose a pound of store brand molly wheel bearing / axle grease . Still have most of it left over . Do not think I have ever used it for wheel bearings ?

What's a good grease for lubricating that metal slide part that pushes into the door as it's closing?? Sorry, I don't know what it's technically called.

It's rubbing up against a white plastic, grommet like thing and annoying AF. I had a tube of permatex ultra disc brake lube laying around and I tried that but it's started to squeak again.

Any ideas???? I'm afraid if I were to just hack that plastic grommet looking thing out, that at some point I'm going to have a potentially worse metal on metal situation without any way to put a grommet back in without taking the door apart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WildCoast
So I tried to search around to find an answer to this, but I'm still puzzled.
I understand that most automotive greases use lithium as a thickener (i.e. the soap which keeps whatever oil the grease has as its base). From what I can gather, the only difference with 'WHITE lithium grease' is that it has zinc-oxide added to it - but why? I've seen a few sources say that it's just for seeing where the grease got applied or whether it's contaminated (so purely visual benefits). Is this true?
When would you use white lithium grease over something else?

I had no idea that lithium grease wasn't naturally white.
I can't remember what problem I was trying to solve, but a guy at Home Depot who had worked in automobile assembly recommended white lithium grease and it worked great.
I only use the stuff when there is next to zero chance of anybody touching it after it has been applied as it is so hard to get off one's hands (or clothes!)...I would also assume it's not meant to be exposed to extreme heat.
I do appreciate how tenaciously white lithium grease holds on to surfaces for the right applications...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
What's a good grease for lubricating that metal slide part that pushes into the door as it's closing?? Sorry, I don't know what it's technically called.

It's rubbing up against a white plastic, grommet like thing and annoying AF. I had a tube of permatex ultra disc brake lube laying around and I tried that but it's started to squeak again.

Any ideas???? I'm afraid if I were to just hack that plastic grommet looking thing out, that at some point I'm going to have a potentially worse metal on metal situation without any way to put a grommet back in without taking the door apart.

I know this is Off Topic from the original post... but I would consider using the white lithium grease here, or I have also used some Fluid Film and had good luck with it.

White lithium grease is fine for lubing your door part. It is rated LB, so it will be applicable in lots of situations. I use it alot on battery cable connections that will see alot of natural elements! Keeps them in great shape.

Last edited:
Bump. Still curious about the original question for this thread.

Is WHITE lithium grease just regular lithium grease with zinc-oxide added purely for visual purposes?

Not a fan of white lithium as I've had ot decontaminate too many parts where it hardened up and was VERY difficult to remove. That said, I used it on my Mustang oil pan which is getting rusty and it seems to have stopped the process- gets too hot for many of our "go to" rust inhibitors but the white lithium is working great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back