Whirlpool 2 drum roller grease

Hanging out with the mice behind a fridge.😁
I have been working on quite a few of these Whirlpool (also sold as Amana) dryers that only have two drum rollers and the bearings wear out rather quickly. I am told they are self lubricating bearings but they don't last like most other dryer rollers do when left dry so I am trying to find a good grease to lubricate them with to provide the longest life.
I tried Sil-glyde (bad idea) but it gummed up and locked up the bearings causing total destruction of the rollers. I've heard Supco zoom spout oil has been used successfully but I would like to find a grease if there is a good one.
I am currently running a test on this dryer in the picture (my dryer at home) using Super Lube synthetic grease.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the perfect grease would be for these?
IMG_20230117_192212732.jpg
IMG_20230117_215317753.jpg

I have the same dryer but its a kenmore. Been awhile since I had it apart but I seem to recall those being oil lite bushings. With oil lite bushings you want to use a light oil like the zoom spout oil or 3 in one oil. I've never had any luck with grease on bronze type bushings/bearings.

Whatever you use needs to be a high temperature lubricant.
Regular Oilite bearings use SAE30 oil as the impregnated lubricant but Super Oilite bearings use graphite as the impregnated lubricant. I would think that a high temperature graphite grease/paste would do the trick here.

Last edited:
What about a White Lithium Grease.
Currently I am minimizing my greases and will use WLG for general purpose lubrication.
It comes in a tube and aerosol.

I got a question. What happened to the Roper line...It is under Whirlpool/Amana... I dont even see them at Lowes or Home Depot anymore...It was a basic washer/dryer line...

I got a question. What happened to the Roper line...It is under Whirlpool/Amana... I dont even see them at Lowes or Home Depot anymore...It was a basic washer/dryer line...
Whirlpool also owns Roper. But this is an odd one, it appears that Roper cooking appliances are produced by GE/Haier.
Lowes supposedly sells them but obviously doesn't at this point.

Whirlpool also owns Roper. But this is an odd one, it appears that Roper cooking appliances are produced by GE/Haier.
Lowes supposedly sells them but obviously doesn't at this point.
Lowes had sold Roper washer and dryers....but the past year or so neither Lowes or Home Depot sells them....I noticed on the Roper site if I type in my zip code for a location that sells Roper...the site does not come up with anything...

I believe Roper was essentially replaced by Amana at least in market share. They seem to be the cheap whirlpool line that is most common these days.

Reactions: hrv
What about a White Lithium Grease.
Currently I am minimizing my greases and will use WLG for general purpose lubrication.
It comes in a tube and aerosol.
I am doing the opposite. I am hording as many types of grease as I can and trying to learn their properties as well as possible so I always know which grease to use in any given application for best results.

Whatever you use needs to be a high temperature lubricant.
Regular Oilite bearings use SAE30 oil as the impregnated lubricant but Super Oilite bearings use graphite as the impregnated lubricant. I would think that a high temperature graphite grease/paste would do the trick here.
They come from the factory dry. I just realized I can call the manufacturer and ask them since I am using SUPCO rollers. Oil may very well be the right thing to use. For some reason my gut thinks grease makes more sense because the service interval is so long at usually every 1 year or less often but that might just be my gut steering me wrong. 😁

So I called SUPCO and asked if it was a good idea to oil these DE702T rollers and he said they are pre-lubricated but if I'm seeing excessive failures it wouldn't be a bad idea to lubricate them so I asked what he said some kind of household light oil would be good so I mentioned the supco zoom spout oil and he said that would be good.
I'll be using zoom spout oil in customers machines until my tests are complete on my dryer. If I find some grease is superior I will switch at that time. This is the bearing in question and you can see on this brand new one that the board is not perfectly smooth. I had not noticed that until just now but the other style rollers that last longer are perfectly smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20230118_141018348.jpg
    IMG_20230118_141018348.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 63
Back