Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you choose? On a rarely driven car, average 1000 miles a year, which is better?
Vehicle 2003 Corvette Z06. Car sits during the winter months. (7 quart sump)

OPTION 1: OCI 1000 miles/1 year
Annual Change w/Mobil 1 5w-30 and a standard filter ex. Wix or AC Delco Filter

Wix Filter $4
Mobil 1 about $35
TOTAL PRICE $39

or

OPTION 2: 2000 miles/2 years
Every other year change w/Schaeffers 9000 or Amsoil Sig Series 5w-30 and a premium filter ex. Fram XG, M1, Amsoil, etc.

Filter $9
Schaeffers or Amsoil 5w-30 about $70
TOTAL PRICE $79

Budget wise it is the same, except for the labor for option 2 is 1/2 since done every other year. I do all my own work as a hobby.

Engine is brought up to temperature before garaged. Garage is not temperature controlled, but I dehumidify to keep humidity below 50%.

Curious of your input!

Last edited:
I would personally do Mobil 1 with a Fram Ultra or other good filter for 3 years or 7500 miles, whichever comes first. If you start driving it more, in which I would!, Mobil 1 for the recommended interval. I would just go to Autozone and grab the Mobil 1 oil and filter for 33.99 and do that for what I posted above. That would both offer great protection over the 2-3 year interval for up to 10k miles and be cheaper than options you threw on the table!

Ummm, option 1. If you've fallen on your head then by all means Opt. 2.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
smile.gif

That's not very nice.

At least explain why.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Option 3:

Mobil 1 5w30 with a Fram Ultra filter - 2 years / 2000 miles.

+1

Worst case do a UOA after year 1 but Im sure M1 would go 2 years..not sure why you think that using a boutique oil would allow you to go 2 yrs..

Originally Posted By: Linctex
smile.gif

That's not very nice.

At least explain why.

I'm not that guy, but if he is thinking anything like me, Option 2 is way overkill for 2000 miles on the oil.

If the car is a "garage queen" that's occasionally driven ( as it apparently is ) then I would err on the side of overprotective and/or not absolutely necessary. For me, that wouldn't necessarily warrant Amsoil or Schaeffers though....

If you have a psyche that supports and enjoys having a "garage queen" or otherwise pampered car, then I think you would thank yourself for doing all you can or "over and above" vs. deciding between the two options given. One man's false economy is another man's "love" for the vehicle. Sometimes, it's more about that concept than what oil or OCI is involved...but you know yourself best.

Given the two options, I'd take the yearly change with M1.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: Linctex
smile.gif

That's not very nice.

At least explain why.

I'm not that guy, but if he is thinking anything like me, Option 2 is way overkill for 2000 miles on the oil.

Its his baby, a 2003 Corvette Z06 he only drives on sunny days. Its not cheap to own a sunny day car, I can't imagine him cheaping out on the oil and Filer. M1 and a synthetic media Ultra is what I would do. I wouldn't want a paper oil filter soaking for a year or 2, could tear(olator).

Option 3:

That's what I was thinking, and maybe invest in a UOA at the end of the 2 years to see how it did.

The Z06 is a garage queen. I would drive it more, but with kids and the lack of practicality it is rarely used.

I am not looking at taking the cheaper option. Both options cost the same. The question is... Which is better for the car?

1 year/1000 miles with less expensive oil and filter

or

2 years/2000 miles with more expensive oil and filter

Either options will cost me ~$40 a year. I am okay with the cost, just wondering what would be better. I am also okay with the small amount of time it will take me for the oil change.

Last edited:
Whether you use M1, Amsoil, or Schaeffers, the 2 year period would likely generate more acids and by-product than changing the oil once a year. On that count alone of being "better", I would opt for the shorter OCI and probably use a synthetic filter. If it's a queen then that would be overkill and treating it like a queen.

With the fact that you're asking related to a seldom driven vehicle, I'd just defer to the 1000 mile OCI as that's likely what will both make you happier and be better for the car...you're not asking about what you can get away with or what you will or won't notice over the two year period...or even that there's potentially no difference. You're changing the oil yourself which you're offering takes a short amount of time and want to do what's "best" for the Corvette. On that criteria...Done.

Option 3:

This. Option 3.

I'm not going to recommend an oil because I've never used them. However, I would recommend a yearly change prior to putting your car in storage. You seem well off, by looking at your collection, so playing silly buggars with your engine seems a penny wise and a pound foolish.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Option 3:

This. Option 3.

Yep,
not sure why the OP considers that the Amsoil/Schaffers are going to be better than M1...price isn't an indicator of performance.

Don't waste your money on Amsoil or Shaeffer's when M1 will do the job above and beyond the standards for that OCI.

You wouldn't even have a problem running a good conventional oil a year for that matter. I personally only run synthetic in vehicles that I drive a lot. My Mustang is like your Z06, it only gets maybe 1000 to 2000 miles on the clock every summer and is garaged the rest of the year, I run nothing but Pennzoil conventional in it and it's never given me a issue. Just food for thought, if you want to save extra and put the money towards buying high dollar oil for your daily drivers.

Option 3: Mobil 1 5w30 with a Fram Ultra filter - 2 years / 2000 miles.

I'm going to agree with this as well. Even 3 years won't hurt anything.

"Change your oil at least once a year" is a myth, in my book.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
The question is... Which is better for the car?

What is better for the car? Change the oil after every time you drive it.

Of course not - that is just silliness!

Let's just say that after two years of using Mobil 1 for 2,000 miles and it's still 99% as good as new, are you really gaining anything by changing it?

Both of the scenarios you provided are based on paranoia, not facts or science.

Part of the concern is the longevity of the oil filter. I would think that the filter media would start to break down at some point. I agree that the wire backed media would stand the test of time best.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
Part of the concern is the longevity of the oil filter. I would think that the filter media would start to break down at some point. I agree that the wire backed media would stand the test of time best.

I've dragged old cars out of hedge rows and cow pastures that have been there for years, and always fired 'em up on what ever filter was already on it. Can't say I've ever had one fail.

As long as you let 'er warm up a bit before standing on the loud pedal, you'll be fine. Wix, Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Fram Ultra - - none of these should tear ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back