Which would you choose? (Volvo XC70)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAM00059.jpg

CAM00060.jpg

CAM00061.jpg

Having just gone and checked all these out. I come home and find that I can buy Mahle brand (volvo OE) filters online for about $5 each... Given those options, vs the $5 OE filter I'm leaning towards ordering about a half dozen OE filters.

Of the bunch from the pictures above. The Fram is very interesting. Both are "CH8712." However, the one with the orange plastic end caps and RUBBER seals on both ends, is priced less and found only at Autozone (I confirmed this type at 2 autozones). The CH8712 at advance auto looks more like the carquest and mobil filters, with thinner end caps and a sort of "felt" like seal. The mann filter uses cardboard end-caps.

The microguard and wix filters (same mold, different materials) stand out as very different from the crowd, as they appear to use a different strategy for producing a seal. Oddly, in the picture, it almost looks like there is an o-ring on the inside lip of the holes on the ends, but in person I did not observe this. I think it's just a trick of the lighting. In person it seemed like there was nothing in place there to produce a seal.

Wow thank you for posting all the options. Interesting about the different Frams.

I bought 3 Mahle ox149d filters for the GFs Volvo for about $20 shipped from Rock Auto. The quality and price of these can't be beaten IMO.

If I had to pick something else it'd be the WIX made MicroGard or Genuine WIX. The Napa ProSelect is about $6.xx and very stout as well. Seems to be the only one my loc Napa has in stock too. I'd get one only if I was in a pinch and didn't have the Mahle though.

Aside from OEM, I only have experience with the ProSelect. The rubber seal seems good but man it is tight. Thought I was going to break something when trying to get it off the cap. I prefer the soft smooshy OEM end cap.

I use MANN or Mahle on sale via eEuroparts or RockAuto.
When you buy 'em start off with 6 or 8 18mm aluminum drain plug gaskets for way less than any other source.
Oil and trans take the same gasket.
I'm so glad you're getting into this. Kira

You can't be wrong in choosing German made cartridge oil filter for any European vehicle. I bought some cartridge oil filters(Mann and Mahle) for my Volvo V70. The E430 also has only German made cartridge oil filter.

You can buy Mann online for under $6 each. My first choice would be Mann.

However, you can get the M1 filter as part of AAP's M1 oil change special this month, which includes the cartridge filters. Guaranteed to 15k.

My next choice would be Wix.

The Bosch 3412 is the same as the PL15315

whatever is the cheapest at wally world works for me, never lost an engine yet due to a oil filter issue.

The sad thing with the only available option at WM is that it is about $27.

I am sure the M1 filters are good too, but they are pushing $20 at parts stores.

OP I'd check out Rock Auto.

you have two pics of two very different Fram Extra guards. that toop one looks very good build and price. I like those puro's too.

I realize the STP filter is/ could be an ecore, but how did the insides compare to the extra guard? Is it safe to say they could be identical filters?

For a Volvo XC70 i would take Mahle.
Second choice would be Mann.

I have used both Mahle and Mann on V70s but i prefer Mahle, Mahle is also what you will get in the Volvo blue box.

The other filters on your pics would not come near my Volvo :)

Bitog once again proves to be an amazing resource to get real user feedback on this stuff. Thanks everyone!

I think I'm going to be order Mahle filters for it on the web. For ~$5-6 each that seems like not only a great deal, but also a preferred filter for the application.

That said, the fancy looking fram extra-guard from autozone is IMO the superior filter among the group. I'm not sure if it's worth 2-3X as much as a web order Mahle, but I was thinking about putting this car on extended drains (maybe up to ~10K) on mobile 0w40 so I might be willing to spend the extra on a filter if it is more apt to stand up. Years ago we all harped on Fram for making cardboard end-cap filters. Fast forward to today, and Fram appears to be making the nicest filter at a reasonable price point for this car.

Originally Posted By: mdocod
I'm not sure if it's worth 2-3X as much as a web order Mahle, but I was thinking about putting this car on extended drains (maybe up to ~10K) on mobile 0w40 so I might be willing to spend the extra on a filter if it is more apt to stand up

I dont see 10K as a extended drain, Here in Sweden the standard interval is 18k but the difference here is that the dealers will never use anything else than the A5/B5 oil.
Its not even possible to get conventional oil for those engines at the main dealers.
I have never seen or heard of a Mahle that have failed the 18K intervals and then the Volvo is for known reasons also the most sold car ever here so they are commonly discussed in our forums.

Last edited:
+1 M1 filter.. it's free if you do the M1 oil change special from AAP, or AZ. the M1 0W-40 with free M1 filter would be perfect for you car. can't go wrong with that.

Thanks Magnus. I did see a Castrol/Volvo chart showing some fancy pants castrol oil we can't even buy around here, (SLX, IIRC), and 18K intervals recommended with it. If they are doing that on the OE filters then I won't worry about it.

---------

Hessam, The M1 filter is not likely to be free in such a deal. In those oil change specials, they give "credit" for up to a particular value, usually, equivalent to the least expensive and most common filter type for the brand. The credit is usually ~$7-9.

Hessam, The M1 filter is not likely to be free in such a deal. In those oil change specials, they give "credit" for up to a particular value, usually, equivalent to the least expensive and most common filter type for the brand. The credit is usually ~$7-9.

I haven't shopped at AZ for a while, but I know that Advance M1 OC specials include M1 filters up to $16.99 in value. That covers almost all their filters. Plus right now AAP is offering a $5 gift card with M1 Oil and Filter specials, which should cover the gap for the rest.

Actually the current Advance Flyer on their site says the M1 specials include ANY M1 filter:

"AFTER $5 MAIL-IN REBATE 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, Full Synthetic High Mileage OR Extended Performance Full AND ANY Mobil 1 Oil Filter
$29.99
Valid May 28, 2015 — July 01, 2015
Limit 2 rebates per household per oil type. Savings in the form of an Advance Auto Parts gift card. Rebate not available in CT or RI. Offer available in store only."

The M1 filter is not likely to be free in such a deal. In those oil change specials, they give "credit" for up to a particular value, usually, equivalent to the least expensive and most common filter type for the brand. The credit is usually ~$7-9.

The cartridges ARE included. AAP says ANY M1 filter

Originally Posted By: Hessam

Actually the current Advance Flyer on their site says the M1 specials include ANY M1 filter:

"AFTER $5 MAIL-IN REBATE 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, Full Synthetic High Mileage OR Extended Performance Full AND ANY Mobil 1 Oil Filter
$29.99

This is correct.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The M1 filter is not likely to be free in such a deal. In those oil change specials, they give "credit" for up to a particular value, usually, equivalent to the least expensive and most common filter type for the brand. The credit is usually ~$7-9.

The cartridges ARE included. AAP says ANY M1 filter

Originally Posted By: Hessam

$29.99

This is correct.

M1 cartridges are $20. Filter deal includes filters up to $11.99. Not free IMO when you have to pay about $8 extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back