Which Vehicles Have Simple Engines?

Chrysler products with the old 3.3L and 3.8L IMO.

IIRC, 2010 or 2011 was the last years though. In vans, jeeps, etc...

Simple to work on. Timing chain, MPFI, no cylinder deactivation, etc. Plain, simple, and parts everywhere.
Yeah, simple engines that burn a ton of oil past the 2007 model year. I have an 08 town and country with a 3.8 V6 in my driveway that we wound up with that my grandparents bought brand new. Oil always changed early, very well taken care of. It started using oil at 47,000 and has 80,000 now If using anything thinner than 10w40 it uses a quart every 700 miles around town or on a nonstop highway trip. My coworker has a 2010 town and country with the 3.3 V6 that sucks just as much oil. Pass!

Ever keep one 150-200k miles?
If you go back and read my post, I’ve got two VVT engines with over 200,000 miles. One at 290,000+.

Zero VVT problems.

They also have the original turbos.

So, what’s your point? VVT engines aren’t durable? Clearly mine are. So, the point is specious.

Instead of blanket condemnation of a technology, you should consider who engineered and produced the technology.

Clearly, some car makers (I’m looking at you, Ford) haven’t mastered it. Doesn’t mean the technology is bad, just means some manufacturers are better at it than others.

Last edited:
Harley-Davidson, if you stick to a Milwaukee-Eight vs. the “modern” Revolution engine.

All joking aside, the Honda D15/16, any pre-1990s Toyota engine, and any GM/Ford V8 without VVT as well as the 3.8/4.3, Nissan VG30/33E without DOHC, KA24DE would be my picks.

However. Toyota and to a point Honda has the VVT game down, despite the fact VTEC in its original form isn’t a “true” VVT system - it was more of a 2 cams in 1 system. Only i-VTEC on the K20/24 and L15 added VTC. VVT phaser issues on American and German cars happen earlier than on Toyota or even Nissan’s VVEL system. Subarus are known to have VVT phaser issues sooner than their copatriots. IMO, maintenance - being on-time with oil changes is a determinant of problems down the road.

Ever keep one 150-200k miles?
My 2008 Xterra has VVT on the intake side. It has 384,000 miles and the phase actuators, etc are all original and have never had any problem. The cam sensors have been replaced. They are $60 bucks each for Hitachi (OEM essentially) on Rock Auto and i could show an 8 year old how to change them in 5 minutes. If the sensors do fail they throw a code and you swap them.

My point is modern engines in some cases are great with the new tech but sone are not. Even those that are great can change ti not great when the manufacturer changes suppliers to cut costs. Then you’re stuck with expensive complex repairs that few mechanics can do; you’re going to have to either sell it as is or you have a Jaspar reman put in. The simple engines that I prefer (Jeep 4.0 six, Chevrolet small block V6 or V8) can be repaired (top engine overhaul) by a good do it yourselfer in your driveway. It is my preference is all I’m saying. Drive what you like!
Example…those complex modern outboards all have all aluminum construction double OHC and when they fail no one rebuilds then because the parts cost is out of sight. You buy a new outboard for 30k or if you’re lucky you might find a reman power head for $6000-8000. You have a GM inboard you take it to a machine shop & get it rebuilt for $2500-3500. Yes the outboards are faster & more fuel efficient. It’s all choices.

My point is modern engines in some cases are great with the new tech but sone are not.
Sure. No disagreement. That said, a decade after it’s introduced, it becomes general knowledge if an engine family is solid or not.

Those simple engines you prefer, at one point in time they were new and unproven. Those Chevy small blocks? You know, too bad we didn’t have BITOG back in the day. That 265 in its first year, no factory oil filter (dealer add-on?) and the first ones burned oil pretty badly. Distributor in the back, where it’s hard(er) to work on? siamesed exhaust ports? what a field day.

Edit: but yes, choices are nice.

The difference is:
Simple makes it easy for the aftermarket to step in with parts that can be better than OEM, this is well documented in the small block Chevrolet world.
This issues you cited in the original design from 67 years ago were dealt with over the years HEI ignition came in 1975; Siamesed exhaust ports not a problem unless you badly overheated it…
Its cost…no engine is more cost effective for power production than the small block Chevrolet. Used in generators too nat gas powered.

Silverado 1500 till 2013 with 4.3 v6 and 4.8 V8
2500 with 6.0 v8 till 2019.
Corolla with 1.8 i4 till 2022
Civic with 2.0 i4 current generation
3.6 v6 pentastar
Nissan 4.0 v6 and 2.5 i4
Toyota 4.0 v6 and 5.7 v8.

Silverado 1500 till 2013 with 4.3 v6 and 4.8 V8
Those also got the 4L60/4L65 4AT which some think are more robust than 6L80.

Have to mention, the 5.3 did have years without AFM… not sure about years without VVT, on either 4.8 or 5.3. The 4.3 was pretty stupid simple until the Ecotec, for sure.

Toyota 4.0 v6 and 5.7 v8.
If including the 5.7, don’t forget the 4.6, at least for Tundra. Same family.

I thought the 2.5 was a decent motor with few issues, but its as complicated as above, VVT etc.

My favorite Toyota engine was the 4AGE 1600cc Twin Cam used in the rear & front drive Corollas and Mk1 MR2.
Lightweight powerful for its size and able to rev to 6500 rpm every day. I had one in an ‘89 Corolla GTS for 9 years. Fun car!

The older Caravans with the 3.3 seemed much better than the newer Caravans with the 3.6. Mine doesn't use any oil and is plenty fast and can cruise at whatever speed I set it at. Older Subarus and Toyotas seem better than newer ones also. Less oil consumption and problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 5
2005MY Hyundai Accent with the spunky 1.6L Alpha II engine delivering 104hp and 106lb of torque was the last Hyundai 4cyl (that I’m aware of) with no VVT. The following year the Accent has it on the intake side only.

What’s so bad about VVT? MPI instead of DI and no cylinder deactivation I can understand, but why no VVT?
I have the 3.3L 3MZ-FE Sienna engine with VVT - currently @ 372k km's and never thought about variable valves in almost 11yrs of ownership.

Also 8th gen Civic 1.8L seems simple - boring and lacking power, but simple.

OP if you're looking for a minimalist engine you can get in a car, new, the Nissan HR16DE engines are still being made, they're SFI, timing chained. and as simple as an engine meeting current emissions standards can get. They have reliable variable valve timing, it has been around for a long time, and is found in the Juke, Versa, Kicks, and some other Nissans. For being dinosaurs, they're pretty good.

The rest of your wish list sounds a lot like someone wanting to buy a new car that still has a carburetor to give it 3000 mile oil changes.

Back