Which SUV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If passengers are your interest and not off road capability the Toyota Highlander may fit the bill well. Nothing special but reliability is quite good and it drives nicer on road than the off road SUV's.

Another odd choice if the Chevy Trailblazer appeals the Saab 97x (nicer cousin sharing everything) is very cheap due to defunct nameplate.

My brother has had flawless service (oil changes, and basic maintenance) for 200k out of a 2000 Pathfinder(generation quit in 2003). Finally it is too embarassing for his wife to drive with lots of rusting due to new england salt roads. They love it otherwise. The Pathfinder lived up to Japanese legend. They had no issues outside of suspension parts wearing out and failed coiled packs they changed out at 150k miles and first time changing spark plugs. I believe the first 100k was dealer service. After that oil changes at a tire shop.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: Doog
Honda CRV

There is nothing mid size about a CRV.

No? I thought they were pretty big inside. I test drove a 2010 a month or so ago. I liked it, and it was quite spacious.

Unquestionably the Honda Pilot. You can get an '04 with just under 100k miles for that money and as long as the timing belt is looked at, the J series V6 will run for hundreds of thousands of miles, keep the fluids changed and it will be your best friend.

My wife had a '10 CR-V, you'd be absolutely astonished at the amount of cargo we fit in there. Plus that has a timing chain so the engine is super low maintenance.

pilot is comfy... engine is a thirsty little piggie in that one and the MDX however. be wary of what year transmission, some were flaky tho knock on wood we've had 2 hondas with the "bad" transmissions, and zero problems from them. The pilot/mdx brethren share occasional problems with the blower for the back seat air. our MDX just lost the rear blower for the 2nd time. The MDX is also known for needing periodic removal and cleaning of the intake manifold and EGR system. If you are aware of this, you might find a gen1 out there being sold because of a wierd idle or occasional hiccups at low speed cruise, like 35-40 mph. Just needs to be dismantled and scraped out. IDK if the pilot gets the same intake--- they tune the 6 a little different between the two.

i've seen earlier 4runners go quite a long time. I've also known some that were just headaches. my favs are the gen3 like GenSan posted above. as long as the exh valves don't stretch and burn, they just go.....

CRVs are great-- my x had one.

Jeeps are fun but they will annoy with electrics as they age. Gen 2 Grands are notorious for HVAC problems in the dash. They depreciate fairly quickly and aren't too hard to get in to. They will NOT win any mpg awards. I love the gen 1 grand but they will be long in the tooth by now. I owned a gen 3 and it was just a minivan on steroids and started developing phantoms and ghosts in the engine electricals that finally scared me out of it.

I like the looks and comfort of the newer escapes--- 07-08?

If I was going for a CUV my first look would go to the forester. And I would be holding out for a turbo. Both subarus I owned years ago were great cars, my brother is on his 3rd. Styling wise, however, my personal preference is to either the gen 1 or the latest. the back end had too much jewelry for my taste in the middle years, but maybe that varies with trim. They are, regardless great vehicles, IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Honda CRV

No? I thought they were pretty big inside. I test drove a 2010 a month or so ago. I liked it, and it was quite spacious.

A Pilot/MDX is considered midsize keeping in Honda terms will take a family of four - five on a weekend trip comfortably with lots of cargo and can tow a bit. A CRV is very tight with 5 passengers and cargo space is limiting.

Done skip trips in both the Pilot/MDX is much more preferable vs cramming into a CRV. Otherwise day to day use CRV more than adequate and nice ride.

Not sure what the OP means in asking about midsize.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Honda CRV

A Pilot/MDX is considered midsize keeping in Honda terms will take a family of four - five on a weekend trip comfortably with lots of cargo and can tow a bit. A CRV is very tight with 5 passengers and cargo space is limiting.

Done skip trips in both the Pilot/MDX is much more preferable vs cramming into a CRV. Otherwise day to day use CRV more than adequate and nice ride.

Not sure what the OP means in asking about midsize.

Exactly why I suggested it, plus the J35 V6 has a lot of smooth power on tap. If you have a family and luggage in the CR-V and have to travel on hilly highways at 65-70MPH the CR-V will need to be in a lower to hold that speed on inclines (that's not to say we didn't still love our CR-V when we had it).

2004 puts you in the last year of the WJ version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can't really say I'd recommend the WK (05-10), but the WJ is the last of the brutally rugged and simple Cherokee family. Solid axles at both ends, 4.0 and 4.7v8 engine choices, and about as durable as granite. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a WJ with 100k miles, and I'm sure you can get one for under 10k.

Measureman, can you tell us a bit more about the intended use? Do you need to tow or go off-road? Will you be transporting children or other adults? Are you frequently driving it in poor weather (deep snow, rain, etc)?

To answer a few questions-mid size means to me no monster suv.My wife will drive this around town-gas mileage not really important-yes there will be some snow. Probably no off roading.
No towing-really just a grocery getter.
Just looking for the model with the best chance of holding up with miles on it.
Did not think about timing belts! Been there and they are expensive. Which ones have chains?
I hate not being able to buy a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the CR-V is still a good choice, as others have said. Those things will run forever and use the ultra-reliable B20 or K20 motors (both of which are used in tons of other cars and have plentiful & cheap parts).

Similarly, a RAV4 would work well. The later ones had an optional V6, something the CR-V doesn't.

If 2wd, and 1000-1500lbs towing is OK, there are lots of wagons that have as much cargo space as a CRV and more than many mid-size SUV's.
My solution to hauling the family and commuting duty is the Focus wagon. My lifetime mileage is 33.3mpg which is decent(should be better IMHO) and it has equal cargo space as the CRV. My parents have an 06 CRV and its more like 23mpg lifetime and I find I like driving a car more. IMO the 05-07 years are the ones to get and will be well below $10k.

Define "expensive" when it comes to timing belts. I didn't think $700 every 100k was that bad on my VW, and my understanding is that CRV's cost less and go further on a belt. Not a lot on a per-mile basis.

Originally Posted By: supton
Define "expensive" when it comes to timing belts. I didn't think $700 every 100k was that bad on my VW, and my understanding is that CRV's cost less and go further on a belt. Not a lot on a per-mile basis.

Post 2002 CR-V does NOT have a belt, it has a chain.

Also post 2002 the engine is a K24, not a B20 or K20.

But to your point, $600-700 every 100k miles isn't a big thing. If I had to take several family members and cargo on a regular basis I'd get the Pilot for the extra grunt and look at the belt as an infrequent maintenance item. Further, in the price range and miles the OP is looking it, it's very possible, in fact likely, he can find a Pilot that just had the belt changed to make it more attractive to sell/buy.

Last edited:
I changed the timing belt on our Acura MDX, and it was a non-issue. It took myself, a friend, about $350's worth of genuine Honda parts, and about 6 hours. Do that once every 100,000 miles. It was actually an enjoyable way to spend 6 hours; nothing about the job was particularly difficult (and this was the first timing belt job I've done).

Our CR-V is adequate for our family of four if we go on a road trip, but the MDX/Pilot is certainly more comfortable. The J35 engine has all the torque and power you would likely care to use, and it's a very refined platform. The CR-V is more fun to drive (it's actually quite nimble), but the MDX holds its own as well, and is light years more entertaining than the minivan it replaced.

If mostly lightly-loaded with less than 4/5 people, the CR-V will be a good choice. It drives well, it performs well, it tows light loads well if that is a concern...and it's pretty efficient at doing what it does. I average in the mid-20s with mine. All highway is upper 20s. For an AWD SUV with marginal aerodynamics...and an "old tech" port injected 2.4L from the early part of the last decade...its economy is quite good.

Originally Posted By: measureman
To answer a few questions-mid size means to me no monster suv.My wife will drive this around town-gas mileage not really important-yes there will be some snow. Probably no off roading.
No towing-really just a grocery getter.
Just looking for the model with the best chance of holding up with miles on it.
Did not think about timing belts! Been there and they are expensive. Which ones have chains?
I hate not being able to buy a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about something from the domestics, like a Explorer, Mountaineer, or Aviator? Full body on frame so if you need to tow in the future you're set, and one in the 2006-2008 range around 100k miles will be under $10k. Yes, I'm a bit biased, but the only fault I've found with ours is that I'm 6'2" and the driver's seat is barely big enough for me to be comfortable on a long ride.

Parts are super cheap, the 4.0 V6 and 4.6 V8 are both rock solid, and neither one has a timing belt. The rest of the drivetrain is pretty good, too. Expect 15MPG in town and 19MPG on the highway. They also have a third seat, but it's really only good for children.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If mostly lightly-loaded with less than 4/5 people, the CR-V will be a good choice. It drives well, it performs well, it tows light loads well if that is a concern...and it's pretty efficient at doing what it does. I average in the mid-20s with mine. All highway is upper 20s. For an AWD SUV with marginal aerodynamics...and an "old tech" port injected 2.4L from the early part of the last decade...its economy is quite good.

And as we all know economy is more than just gas mileage.

I don't think you can fault that Honda's performance and OVERALL economy. I'm sure the residual is quite high on that lil critter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back