Which Spark Plugs for Prius

My 2008 Prius is almost at 100K miles and I want to replace the Spark Plugs. i plan to stick with Denso / NGK. Rockauto has a few options for Iridium plugs, which are the best ones to get:

DENSO 5303 Iridium Power: $4.72 each

DENSO 4701 Iridium TT: $5.38 each

DENSO 3324 Iridium Long Life: $5.71 each

NGK 5464 Iridium IX: $5.23 each

NGK 4996 Laser Iridium: $5.89 each

Should I use anti-seize? Anyone know the torque specs for the spark plugs on a 2008 Prius?

Last edited:
Stick to the factory Denso/NGK long-life iridium plugs and not lose sleep over it. It's a Prius, no special plugs needed but I wouldn't install the Iridium Power/IX series. I have the NGK Laser Iridiums and they get the job done.

I've used the Platinum TT plugs, I haven't used the iridium ones.

NGK and Denso say no anti-seize is needed but a teeny bit doesn't hurt.

Both Denso SK16R11 and NGK IFR5A11 are listed in your owner's manual.
You won't be wrong with going with either of those.
You could also just remove one from the engine and read it.

Also, I believe both Denso and NGK specifically state to NOT use anti-sieze because the spark plugs come coated from the factory and, more importantly, the anti-sieze will alter the torque value required to seat the plugs. The result being overtightened plugs.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Thanks Gents! I know Toyota uses Iridium plugs but I wasn't sure which ones and what the difference is between Iridium TT or Iridium IX or iridium Power.

Use the same ones that are in it currently (or the alternate listed in the manual, as mentioned by Imp4). They lasted 100k miles so they seem to be 'okay' plugs, huh ?

Use a small dab of anti-seize. No idea about the torque spec but between 15-20 should be fine. I believe that either NGK or Denso puts the torque spec on the box the plugs come in.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Use a small dab of anti-seize. No idea about the torque spec but between 15-20 should be fine. I believe that either NGK or Denso puts the torque spec on the box the plugs come in.

Even better they give you a turning angle which makes it irrelevant if you use anti-seize or not, and you don't need a torque wrench.

[/quote] Even better they give you a torque angle which makes it irrelevant if you use anti-seize or not, and you don't need a torque wrench.[/quote]

You will feel it when it is tight and cannot move, don't force it just snug it a little.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Denso 3324, and I think I have an extra pack that I have been trying to get rid of.

pack of one or four?

Study the current 2 threads about counterfeit Denso and NGK plugs and be mindful of where you buy them from!

Denso SK16R11 (3324) from your dealer would be my choice. Isn't that what the owner's manual calls for?

Originally Posted by diyjake
Denso 3324, and I think I have an extra pack that I have been trying to get rid of.

pack of one or four?

Pack of 4

Mine's running fine on copper Autolite 3923's. NGK has a cross reference.

What's more important is obtaining a spare coil pack-- I was shut down when I developed a cat-killing misfire. Now I carry an ELM327 scanner dongle and a spare pack just in case.

My first choice would be the Denso TT just to try them out
smile.gif

The job should be easy on your car, so even if you don't like them you can always go back to OE

The Denso Long-Life and NGK Laser Iridium are both actual OE spark plugs on your Prius. If you're lucky, you may even find 2 Denso and 2 NGK when you pull out the old ones! Toyota has done this before
crazy2.gif

Do not use anti-seize since they already come with a plated shell. NGK even claims the factory plugs were installed dry with no anti-seize

Can confirm that the Denso TT's are a good plug. Currently in both of mine, and will easily go the distance to the next change.

Use NGK "LASER IRIDIUM" plugs with no anti-seize. The laser iridium are rated for 100,000 miles. If you get the IX iridium its a 40,000-50,000 mile rated plug. Plan on $10 per plug.

Originally Posted by diyjake

pack of one or four?

Pack of 4

Never mind. Unfortunately, I can't find them.

Back