Which program is causing my system clock to reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a week I run the following system utilities as general maintanance:

AVG Virus Scan
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy
CCleaner
MS Disk Cleanup
MS Disk Defragmenter

However, upon start up the morning after running these programs, my system clock has kicked forward three hours (EST). I know I could run each of these individually, restart and then check the clock; however, I schedule them to run overnight since it's a time saver.

Does anybody have a guess as to which program is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

shocked.gif

You must have one clean running machine. Usually I wait until my desktop is cluttered, it takes forever to boot up, nothing runs smoothly, and I get a pop up every time I click anything, whether im connected to the internet or not. Then I reformat and start over.

I should adapt your method, it's only been 2 months since my last reformat, and already windows installer disappeared, so I cant install any programs anymore. Also sometimes whenever I type it comes out backwards. And not to mention I don't have MS paint, calculator or any of my accessories anymore. Oh and I can no longer reformat, that's gone too somehow.

Man, I gotta get some programs... sorry im no help to you though.

Maybe you need a new cmos battery, its the little coin style watch battery on the motherboard. How old is the system?

I thought you were the guy who turns his system off and on all the time with no problems?

Check the NTP server by right-clicking on the time and selecting the Internet Time tab. If you have anything other than pool.ntp.org or time.windows.com there change it.

Also check that your time zone is set properly.

One of your cleaners maybe reseting/clearing the timezone key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\TimeZoneInformation

Check the logs of Ad-Aware and any other cleaner and make sure that key is not in the cleaning log. Maybe one of your scanners is set to apply timezone correction at cleaning.
Run them one at a time to see which is the culprit.

Last edited:
Double click on the clock, go to the Time Zone tab and see what the settings are. My guess is that at night Windows updates the clock to the wrong time zone.

Quote:

I thought you were the guy who turns his system off and on all the time with no problems?

Who me? The problems I listed above are in no way related to turning my computer on and off all the time.

My proof? Whenever I reformat my computer, it runs like day one 100%. When vista comes out i'll get the windows defender. I had it on my copy of XP and it worked GREAT. Only problem is now inorder to get it I need to have SP2 installed, and I hate SP2. Old version won't even work, it expired
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back