Which one

Here is a good one for all the mechanics out there. 2018 Caravan odd transmission behavior since new. Symptoms were stumble at idle, felt like torque converter studders at 35 mph, bucking on hard acceleration from a stop like it took off in high gear but none of these symptoms were there with ECO off. I also had a whining noise at 1500 rpm which sounded like air in the intake moving. I wouldn't carry to dealer as I knew that they would say normal due to no codes and with a 7 year warranty I was going to wait until year 5. Any how I did first major maintenance on it since it's been 3 years and 24k miles which includes air filter, cabin filter, oil change, and tire rotation. I used 0w20 Rotella Gas Truck, Mopar filter. When I went to remove air filter hose to check for carbon in intake the clamps were loose. Replaced everything went to fill up and figured I would run ECO mode since gas prices are high and this van runs better than it ever had since I have owed it with 3k. It has no symptoms that were there before including the whine. In case you wondered why not take it in the truth is I don't trust anyone else on my vehicle and with these symptoms reported by owners of Caravan complaining of same symptoms were told normal. I believe that the loose clamps were the cause of my problems as I don't think going with a different oil as well as going from 5w20 to 0w20 would have made no difference. I don't plan on changing oil to see if that was it as well as highly unlikely. What do you think?
Oh air filter wasn't that bad.

2018 Grand Caravan

If air was bypassing the air filter due to the loose clamps, i'd change the oil. If the filter sat in tight and was not leaking air around it you're good.

I'd check the alternator output voltage. I had a saturn S automatic, start from a dead stop in 3rd gear. Alternator was putting out 17volts + iirc. New alternator fixed the trans issue.

Last edited:
If air was bypassing the air filter due to the loose clamps, i'd change the oil. If the filter sat in tight and was not leaking air around it your good.

I'd check the alternator output voltage. I had a saturn S automatic, start from a dead stop in 3rd gear. Alternator was putting out 17volts + iirc. New alternator fixed the trans issue.
I have seen that on Isuzu when I worked at dealer. Transmission man misdiagnosed and I got it. Changed voltage regulator on alternator then recall came out months later. I scanned van after I bought it and only thing I saw was a misfire count that wasn't enough for codes. If I would have test drove before I bought it I would not have purchased it. Bought it over the phone and with wife in wheelchair she fell in love with it.

[Quote: tiger862] "When I went to remove air filter hose to check for carbon in intake the clamps were loose."

Yes, I think that this was your tranny issue the whole time.
=====================================================================

[Quote: tiger862] "I don't plan on changing oil to see if that was it as well as highly unlikely. What do you think?
Oh air filter wasn't that bad."

Since you fixed the hose clamps and have already changed the oil, you're good to go. 0W20 or 5W20 is fine. See how the tranny reacts over the next few weeks.

Well done,
CB

Back