Which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do two oil changes 1st is a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 HO motor 100k miles. The other is a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the standard 4.7 motor 110K. In the past I have been using high mileage motor oils usually Pennzoil or Castrol GTX. These are daily drivers and not high performance vehicles. If you had to choose an oil to use what would it be? Just looking for a good quality motor oil to use in my daily drivers dont have to be high mileage. The manufacture recommends 5w-30 weight. If, someone here has a good reason for me to use the Castrol 0w-30 and spend the extra money by all means let me know. Open to spend the extra money in the 04 for a valid reason but the 99 is not worth it.
Thanks for the help.

For the cold winters you might have i would use a 5w30 synthetic. Regular Mobil 5w30 has great cold cranking specs. If you want a 0w30, try Mobil 1 AFE 0w30. I am also a big fan of Pennzoil Products, ie: Platinum 5w30. If you use synthetic use a good filter like a Fram Tough Guard (up to 7500 miles per change) or Fram Ultra (up to 15,000 miles per FCI).

If you want to change it @ 5k or less just use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30, synthetic is wasted at less than 5k.

If you don't have consumption issues I would just use PYB in 5W30 at 5k intervals. It has served me well over the years in daily driven vehicles that do not require synthetic.

What your OCI?

If you're not having any issues, I'd stick with the Pennzoil HM. Why change if everything is working well for you?

Just thought the older Jeeps might enjoy the (slightly) thicker viscosity in summer.
HTHS: 5w30 - 3.215 ... 10w30 - 3.36
100C cSt: 5w30 - 11.5 ... 10w30 - 11.9
Nothing wrong with using 10w30 in summer.
No real need to either.

That is a pretty marginal difference. If one wants a 5w-30 with a higher HTHS, there are some available, not to mention some 0w-30 grades like that. But, it always depends upon what one wishes to spend.

Originally Posted By: Turbo
If you had to choose an oil to use what would it be?

Walmart SuperTech 10W-30 full synthetic. Maybe 5W-30 below zero F.

Isn't the Chrysler 4.7 one of the engines affected by sludge?

If so, nothing less than synthetic 5W30 of your choice changed every 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: ArtDart
QS Defy 10w30/summer, 5w30/winter

Why the seasonal switch?

Garak, do you run the QS 10w30 year round, or do you switch seasonally also ?
I got the QS Defy 10w30 because 5w30 was out of stock. I am happy with it to date.
Just giving the OP some options.

I have run mostly Amsoil 0w-30, Mobil1 5w-30, PP 5W-30 in mine over the years.

Currently have Rotella T5 in it since I dont drive it too often.

4.7 is Not too picky about oil, just change your PCV valve once in a while and do reasonable intervals.

Also run copper champs in it. Dont neglect the cooling system, use the HOAT G5. I would also do a turkey baster in the PS/cooling fan pump.

Originally Posted By: ArtDart
I got the QS Defy 10w30 because 5w30 was out of stock. I am happy with it to date.

He he, you're using the QS Defy 10w-30 for the exact reason I have 10w-30 in my F-150 - that's all that was left on a smoking deal! I do have some Defy in stock now, all in 5w-30, and that will be used year round.

At under $10 a jug, the 10w-30 was hard for even me to pass up. I dislike seasonal oil changes. I dislike missing a good deal even more, I guess!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back