Which oil is better out of these

This is a Hilux 1997 3l Diesel.

Which oil is better out of these 3 engine oils.

Castrol GTX 15w 40
Product Data Sheet
Type Mineral
API CH-4

Castrol Magnatec Diesel 15w 40
Product Data Sheet
Type Semi Synthetic
API CF
ACEA A3/B3,A3/B4

Penrite 15w 50
Product Data Sheet
Type Semi Synthetic
ACEA A3/B4,E7
API CF-4,CG-4,CH-4,CI-4,CI-4/SL
Caterpillar ECF-1-a
Cummins CES 20078
Deutz DQC-11-05
Ford M2C153-F
Ford M2C153-G
Ford M2C171-C
Global DHD-1
Global DLD-1
Global DLD-3
JASO DH-1
Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03
MAN 3275
MB 228.3.
MTU Type 2
Peugeot PSA D-02
Renault RLD-2
Volvo VDS-3
VW 502 00
VW 505 00

Last edited:
What does the manufacture recommend? The Magnetech is not to a heavy duty diesel
oil as the others are as far as the oils are rated.

All season Grade SAE:

10W-40
15W-30
15W-40

Diesel API: CE

You are correct Magnatec isn't a Heavy Duty Diesel Oil.

I can see Penrite Diesel 15w 50 has more Product Performance Claims.

I'd think the GTX is best for your application. my logic is that you want the right hot viscosity if your not heating the oil more then normal towing if your manual has not state that is inside normal use. because it is CH-4 which is backwards compatible with CE " CH-4 oils are superior in performance to those meeting API CF-4 and API CG-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories." ... CG-4 "may also be used in engines requiring API Service Categories CD, CE, and CF-4. Oils designed for this service have been in existence since 1994. "[1]

The penrite is a better oil by the spec CI-4 > CH-4 [1] if your ok with losing the fuel economy and you think its ok to run the 50 or if your are going to be heating the engine oil more then normally use this

if anyone sees any flaws in this logic please point it out, I'm not big into diesel only getting into it.

[1] https://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

If they say API CE for your Hilux, then the modern oils suitable would be CH-4, CI-4, CJ-4 or CK-4.

So the GTX 15W40 Diesel, or the Penrite 15W50 HPR 15 Diesel would work. I would buy on price. Both will be fine.

Yeah the Penrite has more claims, but that is their way, to claim any old and close enough spec their oil could meet. Castrol on the other hand tend to only claim the main spec the oil was designed for. More a reflection of different company procedures.

Looking again the GTX Diesel is CH-4, the Penrite HPR Diesel is CH-4 & CI-4, so I would go the Penrite

Back