Which oil/fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 3 sent to me Hecho en Mexico - they were wrapped - yet base started to rust already - in 5k each - the can was rusted through the white paint ....

Last edited:
Thank You sir !!

Some people just want to wear designer jeans.. even if they are acid washed with holes in them from the factory..

I came up poor and NEVER understood that mentality.. still don't.

I say do your research first and then spend your money wisely..

Originally Posted By: Wreckage

Again as a reminder... I am running a 1JZ-GTE engine (2.5L turbo) in a toyota crown athlete.

Already in terms of oil i got the 0w 40 Castrol Edge A3/B4 group 4 POA.

I was asking the guys in store about a genuine toyota filter for my car... or as someone here mentioned Ryco Syntec.

The guy here said the K&N HP 1002 part is a high flow filter and will work better than either the ryco or the genuine toyota filter.

When I went store and asked for Syntec...

All I got was "Ryco 418" or something rather... Z148, Z481, (dont even remember i think there was 4 numbers and 4 1 and 8 were in it, not sure which order).

That would be the one that is the factory OEM equivalent as is the K&N HP 1002.

Syntec in that?

In regards to air filters... I thought K&N made the best for that... I mean all the muscle car guys etc run that round Red one on their show cars... ? Unless those are different to whats on these newer cars.

Hi Mate,
It's always hard with a grey import. However, I think the early 90's Toyota Soarer also had the same 2.5L Turbo engine.

If that is the case, and it is the same engine and filter, it takes a Ryco Z418 oil filter, or Valvoline V058A, and yes I believe the K&N HP1002 is the same.
Some equivalents would also be the Repco ROF58A or the Wesfil Cooper WZ418.

Yes Ryco make a syntec version, it's the Z418ST.

But best to check with Ryco yourself (Ryco Australia Link)
There is a search and on-line chat function that works well.

So at PlanetSoarer [PlanetSoarer Link]
The Toyota Soarer JZZ30 ran the 1JZ GTE, 2.5L twin turbo engine.

This is their oil and filter page, (PlanetSoarer Filter Link)
It looks like it's based in Australia (or they like kangaroos), so these are all local products you can get here.

This should be a good source of information for you.

Quote:
TT Oil Filter : Genuine Toyota part number: 90915-20003 (or 90915-20001)

The Ryco Z418 fits, but they suggest Toyota OEM the whole way.

Last edited:
OEM Denso you can't go wrong.

Also for all the people mentioning oiled filters messing up you MAF, if you have a pre-VVT 1JZ, shouldn't you be on MAP sensor only? If so, you can run a quality oiled filter if you choose. [censored], even if you're on MAF, as long as you don't over oil the filter when cleaning is needed (once every 50k miles typically) you can run a drop in K&N filter also.

Thanks for that.

Had a look at Rycos website.

The Syntec Z418ST seems to be made of Nano Fiber in the media at 99.8% efficiency.

Would that make it better than a K&N or anything else for that matter?

Did a lot of reading, a lot of people call Ryco the cheap junk (since its moved from AU) but they seem to use what Amsoil use in their ones while K&N use a mixture of cellulose etc... so what would be 'better' filtration + flow?

Also found Castrol Oil filter made by champion, not available in AU though and no real reviews on it available either.

Last edited:

The Syntec Z418ST seems to be made of Nano Fiber in the media at 99.8% efficiency.

Would that make it better than a K&N or anything else for that matter?

Depends on at what micron size the quoted 98.8% efficiency is at.

It's easy for a lot of oil filter manufactures to blurt out "98.8% efficiency" without a corresponding particle size, or an efficiency test standard used.

Says "Removes 99.8% of contaminants based on ISO4548-12 at 25 micron maximum efficiency based on Z9ST."

Says "Removes 99.8% of contaminants based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 micron maximum efficiency based on Z9ST."

Not bad.

Ryco looks pretty nice, and has a at least one unique feature, although Im not sure how valuable an anodized baseplate is beyond "feel good" -but its only a 10K mile filter.

The amsoil royal, purple, and FU all claim at least 15K with similar/close rating.

Still not sure I'd change from an FU or mircorgreen for that.

How much are they roughly ?

UD

Not sure how much what is...

I think the K&N was $22, the Ryco was $16 (the regular Z148 not the syntec). The syntec might be more than the K&N though. Either way its all roughly between 15-25 bucks.

Also my oil (Castrol 0W 40 edge group 4 POA) will be changed every 10,000 km.

Is there a point to having a filter that can last 15,000 km when I will be changing every 10,000?

Only benefit I think there might be is simply that a 15k filter change at 10 wont be maxed out at 10 and so theoretically will still be working well while the one at 10k would already be filled out and not doing its job as well by then...

Anyway thats my logical deduction.

Not sure how much what is...

I think the K&N was $22, the Ryco was $16 (the regular Z148 not the syntec). The syntec might be more than the K&N though. Either way its all roughly between 15-25 bucks.

Also my oil (Castrol 0W 40 edge group 4 POA) will be changed every 10,000 km.

Is there a point to having a filter that can last 15,000 km when I will be changing every 10,000?

Only benefit I think there might be is simply that a 15k filter change at 10 wont be maxed out at 10 and so theoretically will still be working well while the one at 10k would already be filled out and not doing its job as well by then...

Anyway thats my logical deduction.

In your use case a 15K filter on a 10K OCI wont do you much good, unless you see a benefit to running the sump and filter on their own schedule.

In my case my "capser milquetoast" RX400H can go a full 15K on one sump and filter with high TBN extended performance oil.

- or I can get 20K out of the sump with a filter change at 10K using a microgreen.

interesting to me that an otherwise high quality piece doesn't have the same run time spec as its peers in the marketplace. I wonder if Ryco is being overly cautious of there is another reason for the comparatively limited mileage.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back