Which oil for 2003 Chevrolet Corvette?

I was wondering if someone can direct my search for an oil. . . I have a 2003 chevrolet Corvette and it takes mobil-1 5w/30, which I have always used in the past, but now my car/engine are 21 years years old, should I be looking for an oil that might provide a better operating environment for this engine, like Mobil-1 5w/30 high mileage, or some other type of 5w/30 oils ? The car is a weekend drive with some long trips but mostly local trips ? Thank you

Is the car burning or leaking oil? How many miles on it? I have a vehicle older than that that doesn't leak or burn oil, driven sometimes only once or twice a month, and I haven't switched to a HM oil. So if you aren't burning or leaking oil I'd stick with what you're using now. Having said that if you feel better using a HM oil it won't hurt anything, but there's nothing it will help either if you don't have a problem. What I might consider in that application if it doesn't have any problems is Mobil 1 0W40.

Don’t overthink it. If the engine runs well with what you have been using, I would keep using it. Keep it clean and keep it full otherwise.

If you’re mostly driving it gently on long cruises then M1 5w30 will keep serving you well. But if you like to go full throttle quite often then another option would be M1 ESP 5w30 as it is formulated on the higher end of the 30wt range and has a higher HTHS value of 3.5 vs 3.1 for the standard M1 5w30. I have been running ESP 5w30 in my 2018 Corvette since it’s third oil change

As other folks indicated, don't change anything if you do not have any issues. I personally don't think there are "significant" difference between "regular" vs. HM (I go back and forth between the two for our two daily cars). Does your manual indicate xW-40 or above?

For your reference:
1. Our Subie burns oil and switched from 0W-20 to 5W 30 and it helped - the US manual says use 5W 30 if 0W 20 not available but the Japanese manual (with the same engine) indicates from 0W-20 all the way up to 0W-40
2. Almost 20 year old Porsche Boxster (0W-40 or 5W-40 normally, and there is no Porsche approved "HM" oil); and the manual indicates upto 5W-50 (most folks use this viscosity if tracking)

I would agree with what others have suggested and don't overthink this nor change what you've been doing over the past 2 decades. But too, I think that if your Corvette was driven exactly how you've been driving it and only saw a diet of another brand of synthetic oil, you'd be asking the same question. And it's a good question! (y)

If I may, I would suggest that you at least try other brands of 5W30(or 0W30/0W40) synthetic oils based on price and how easy or hard you plan on driving the car. If you really drive your car aggressively or take it to the track, there are certainly other oils to consider. However if you only drive the way you mentioned in your post("The car is a weekend drive with some long trips but mostly local trips"), use any synthetic oil grade that is allowed for in your owner's manual.

If your oil cap atop of the valve cover and your owner's manual has the Mobil1 listed, this is only a sponsorship & an advertisement(or whatever) and not a requirement by Corvette. Mobil1 isn't the single best oil, it's just in a category of best/better oils). This isn't to say that Mobil1 isn't a good oil, it's a great oil. I'm just say'n!

Do what ever helps you sleep at night!👌

Last edited:
Ok, and thank you all who awaken to answer my less than pressing question, My C5 LS1 engine Corvette has 11438 miles and If I am guilty of, is not using it often enough. But I plan on a significant road trips this summer. I most often just use what the owner's manual says it gets for a diet, 5W/30 Mobil-1 it never uses any oil and oil pressure is about 40 PSI 1 second after starting. And I see what an HM might be, but in my case, it's not the trouble to get and use. I have one more question What is the difference between 5W/30 synthetic and with the C7 corvettes they take a 0W/40 and I'm kinda confused on the differences, and why was the switch required ? Is there a major difference in oil uses ?:confused:

I have been really liking the 0W-40 Euro Mobil 1 FS as of late in the LSx's. Used to run cheap cheap cheap oil and change early.

M1 0W-40 and going a little bit longer, for me, has been a great combo as of late. Great price too at WM if bought in 3 pack 5qts. Can frequently be had for around $20-25 a jug.

Why is the benefits of 0W/40 over a 5W/30 ? I have a LS1 in my car, but I had a 2007 Corvette and that was a LS2, neither one a rocket in horsepower 400Hp, but the C7 has the 6.2 liter and it is pushing 460 horses and it gets 0W/40, I think I'm having a little trouble with a the 0W and in my mind 0W is like tap water, and 40W is a little heavy for a Automobile, at least modern engines. My father had a 1949 Chrysler Imperial and that 6cyl flathead took straight 30, non-detergent, his first car when he came home from France after the war, But automotive everything is so different today, my 2003 Corvette is really nice, I just want to last, I've always run Mobil-1, and I think it was from here that I got so comfortable with Mobil-1 anything,

Thank you again, :)

Why is the benefits of 0W/40 over a 5W/30 ? I have a LS1 in my car, but I had a 2007 Corvette and that was a LS2, neither one a rocket in horsepower 400Hp, but the C7 has the 6.2 liter and it is pushing 460 horses and it gets 0W/40, I think I'm having a little trouble with a the 0W and in my mind 0W is like tap water, and 40W is a little heavy for a Automobile, at least modern engines. My father had a 1949 Chrysler Imperial and that 6cyl flathead took straight 30, non-detergent, his first car when he came home from France after the war, But automotive everything is so different today, my 2003 Corvette is really nice, I just want to last, I've always run Mobil-1, and I think it was from here that I got so comfortable with Mobil-1 anything,

0w is not a grade or "weight". It's a cold weather oil performance specification.

Look at my signature for the oil grade I'm using in my vehicles.

If I am saying the right...
Engines and lubricants have come a long way. Manufacturers recommend oils based on what the engine is capable of. We use oils based on how we drive. Or at least I do. ;)

What does the car manual spec? 5w30? If so stick with it. 0w40 is a blanket recommendation here but candidly I would always start with and end with the manufacturer specification unless there is a good reason to depart (e.g., heavy track use?).

Ah, I see…the root of the problem.

So many misconceptions. Let’s start here - “0W is like tap water”. No, it is not. That’s not what the 0W means at all. The 0W means that it flows at a certain temperature. At cold temperatures, it is hundreds of times thicker than it is at operating temperature, so, no it’s not like “tap water” - it just works well when it is cold.

“40W is a little heavy for an automobile” - Huh? Really? Why then is that 0W40 recommended for my Mercedes? Moreover- why does Chevrolet recommend a 5W50 in the Z06 version of the Corvette?

Spend some time on this part of BITOG - https://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

What matters is the oil’s viscosity at the temperature at which your engine is running. If your oil temperature is running at say 85C, then a 5W 30 is fine, the 30 being the important part. But if your oil temperature spikes up to say, 120 C, then the 30 may be a bit thin for the best performance, and a 40, or even 50, will give you similar viscosity to what the 30 provided at 85C.

What does the car manual spec? 5w30? If so stick with it. 0w40 is a blanket recommendation here but candidly I would always start with and end with the manufacturer specification unless there is a good reason to depart (e.g., heavy track use?).
There is a good reason. For one thing it's not just about the grade but what a typical 0W-40 will get you. Besides a bit more film thickness it also gets you manufacturer approvals that demonstrate superior oxidation resistance and resistance to deposit formation and sludging. In terms of performance it is always superior to a generic ILSAC 5W-30.

Grades listed in the manual are recommendations, not specifications.

There is a good reason. For one thing it's not just about the grade but what a typical 0W-40 will get you. Besides a bit more film thickness it also gets you manufacturer approvals that demonstrate superior oxidation resistance and resistance to deposit formation and sludging. In terms of performance it is always superior to a generic ILSAC 5W-30.

Grades listed in the manual are recommendations, not specifications.
Understood. This car is out of warranty so there is not the concern about having a Lincoln-Douglas debate with a service writer who could care less that an Internet forum told the owner that 0w40
Is as suitable as the factory recommendation. But again, what is there to be gained here other than to add complexity if this is a street driven car that is used very lightly, as it seems from age and mileage? 5w30 got him this far. But sure if he wants to start making changes for changes sake he could certainly vary it.

Back