Which of these winter tires should I pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (studless) or Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded). I won't ever be buying another brand of winter tires.

Seeing all those syllables and Finnish names made me think of rallying and then remember Eric Carlsson, Eric "on the roof" Carlsson, the rally driver. He passed away in May of this year. The Nokian 8's will see you clear of anything. I don't have experience with the R2 and will be unlikely to ever need such tires again.

My only suggestion is downsize to 16" as options will open up considerably, winter performance will be superior, and overall cost will be lower. The dry/wet performance difference will barely noticed as Honda suspension is decent.

You barely have choices in this size.

I have used Michelin xice2 tires on a mustang in west Michigan with impressive results. Drive great on dry pavement, too.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I have used Michelin xice2 tires on a mustang in west Michigan with impressive results. Drive great on dry pavement, too.

That's a big endorsement especially if the new Mustangs are anything like the older ones were.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The LM32 looks pretty good overall. I like the tread pattern too

But there is no test/review info...

The goodyear unltra grip ice, looks pretty good from your chart. and at $143 its way less that the michelin and pirelli. The only trade off by the chart seems to be a bit more noise. This is going on a honda, not a bmw or lexus so a bit more noise may not be a noticeable issue.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The goodyear unltra grip ice, looks pretty good from your chart. and at $143 its way less that the michelin and pirelli. The only trade off by the chart seems to be a bit more noise. This is going on a honda, not a bmw or lexus so a bit more noise may not be a noticeable issue.

That, or the 10 year old variant, is what I've had on my Saab since 2004. For the driving I do, situations I see, the Saab always did great. But it seems that is 10 year old tech.

Because the car is a hybrid, and I guess decent sound deadening, the car is quiet, so that is a consideration.

To all,

Thanks for the insights so far. I appreciate the recommendations and thoughts. It seems like I'm best off waiting to see how the latest stock and newest tires play in.

16" is a good recommendation, though my hybrid has some unique looking wheels, and 16" plain wheels probably cost the same as a set of my hybrid 17" wheels - but performance and cost are good factors, so we will see how it plays out in terms of wheel availability.

I don't have a discount tire nearby, so that will need to play in.

The reality is that my use is around four months of use - usually installed after thanksgiving and removed after the first or second warm spell in March. Most use is on dry/wet roads, but at night it can freeze. Typical times I'm out are in slush, though packed powder is typical too. It's just not like 6" of packed snow/ice bed usually except when we go up to VT skiing. Going to our mountain house in PA, we can encounter packed snow but they're good about putting down lots of coal cinders. My main concern is having superior stopping power as well as the ability to make it up steep suspension bridges when icy/slushy/snow covered.

So a tire more based for wet and slush is probably smart, but it seems like some of the better ones like the ws80 might be a decent compromise.

Perhaps a month will help things fall out.

As of now before I see the price of the Nokians, including shipping and mounting, I'm sort of weighing between the Dunlop 4D, the ws80 (given cost and the fact that I can do it at Costco), but the eagle ultra grip, Nokians, etc are all in play I guess.

Thanks for the insight!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
To all,

16" is a good recommendation, though my hybrid has some unique looking wheels, and 16" plain wheels probably cost the same as a set of my hybrid 17" wheels - but performance and cost are good factors, so we will see how it plays out in terms of wheel availability.

I take it you don't have abs, so you can use different size wheels up front?

I seriously doubt his car doesn't have ABS. Does any car from the past 5 years not have it? I'd be shocked! Even the cheapest cars are ABS-equipped now, and it may even be required.

But still, it doesn't prevent using different size wheels up front, although there is no point in doing so.

To all,

i guess he might be buying four, then i guess it would not matter.

I get more ice here. so i run two up on the front only. I know its not recommended, but I've done it for 3 decades with out issue.Since i have them studded, i don't buy name brands, as mine age out rather than wear. I think Snow King is what i have, but its time next season to replace.

Last edited:
Winter Sport 4D, use em on my RWD G35S all winter long no problem. Great wet and dry traction as well. I have a thread in this section somewhere with the pictures when they were new on my car.

To all,

The car has ABS, TC, SC, the works.

I'm not interested in staggered setup but directional doesn't matter. The set I have for my Saab look great after 10 years. I'd consider using them except they're 10 years old!!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Here are some for sale on here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...p;q#Post3812776

with the wheels and I like the size.

How do I know that set will keep accurate when my fitment is 225/50r-17. Any idea if those wheels fit mine? Honda 114.5mm spacing (IIRC), and +55 mm offset...

Since I'll run the tires 10 years, tire age DOES matter.

Thanks for the lead!!

How do I know that set will keep accurate when my fitment is 225/50r-17. Any idea if those wheels fit mine? Honda 114.5mm spacing (IIRC), and +55 mm offset...

The Accord LX wheel is 16" with 205/65-16 tire so the width should be about 6". I don't know the bolt pattern and offset of the wheel, but I think likely that they are similar to 17" wheel of your hybrid.

You may try to contact few Honda dealers to see if they have takeoff OEM wheels in either 16" or 17", if they do their price should be very reasonable, because they could not sell it to anyone, especially 16" wheel.

I agree with a previous poster about performance. I have the Dunlop 3D and have been very happy with them on my VW GTI.
They are very good in the dry and have been all I need in the snow here.

Nokian WR G3

iirc STS Tires carries Nokian

but, my mechanic can get Nokians... so I get it from him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back