Which of these fuels should I make my permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blackman777
P.S. Let's suppose you did pick a "top tier" like Exxon. It costs 15-20 cents more per gallon than the "US GAS" brand across the street. So take the 25mpg national average, and a 300,000 mile lifespan, which yields around $2000 more money spent on the more-expensive fuel. Worth it? Not in my opinion.....

Maybe in your area but around here gas is approx same price at all stations... It will vary a few cents by neighborhood but usually ALL the stations in a general area will be nearly same...

Yeah in my town Exxon and Citgo stations are 20 cents higher than US GAS on the opposite corner. The cheap gas appears to work just fine.

Only time I had problems was when I bought gas directly across from Disneyland, and it gave me just 20mpg. (Probably high in ethanol content.) ANYWAY I agree you should buy namebrand gas if it's the same price as the cheap stuff. My point was it makes little sense to spend $2000 more on a car that is slowly rusting-out underneath you (or other things breaking).

The car will probably wear-out loooooong before the engine experiences a gasoline-induced failure. Then you can take the $2000 you saved buying cheap gas & use it as downpayment for your next car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa
Depends on the region but here Top Tier is the same price and so it is a no-brainer.

Around here P66 is cheaper than most other name brands( Citgo, Mobil, Shell, etc... ). Can be as much as 10 cents a gallon cheaper. A definite no brainer.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: 07734
who makes up what a top tier gas is??

This forum is Gasoline Cars Right? That's what the topic is. Gasoline and Cars

Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs

This thread is for gasoline powered automoble engine oil.

Fuel threads go here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=37&page=1

6 pages, over 2 days, without a Mod moving it to the correct forum. Must be a record.

Really? that nit/picky? lol

------
stop whining. mature men acting like 3rd graders "Teacher, teacher!"

Originally Posted By: milkboy
Down to Shell @ 3.29 and Exxon @ 3.29

Both at 3.29 The question comes down to the two that are "TOP TIER GAS"

Exxon or Hess for the same price.

which gas would you make your permanent fuel, and never switch from... both 3.29
So who wins here. Exxon or Shell?

You have repeated this several times. Where are you getting this from ?

I am getting it from the gas stations close to my house? and asking for a suggestion, not for people like you to troll in my thread

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
4 pages of junk..... smh

Thanks for making it a good thread.

Question was boiled to Exxon or Hess 87 Octane for the price.

Which top tier gas do you prefer.

Got no decent recommendation. so I am saying smh too, but more at a collective as a whole for a lack of an answer. Heard everything else, even people calling for mommy. But not Exxon or Shell

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
4 pages of junk..... smh

Thanks for making it a good thread.

Question was boiled to Exxon or Hess 87 Octane for the price.

Which top tier gas do you prefer.

Got no decent recommendation. so I am saying smh too, but more at a collective as a whole for a lack of an answer. Heard everything else, even people calling for mommy. But not Exxon or Shell

THERE'S NO [discernible/measurable/actual] DIFFERENCE.

"Here's your sign."

Yeah in my town Exxon and Citgo stations are 20 cents higher than US GAS on the opposite corner. The cheap gas appears to work just fine.

Only time I had problems was when I bought gas directly across from Disneyland, and it gave me just 20mpg. (Probably high in ethanol content.) ANYWAY I agree you should buy namebrand gas if it's the same price as the cheap stuff. My point was it makes little sense to spend $2000 more on a car that is slowly rusting-out underneath you (or other things breaking).

The car will probably wear-out loooooong before the engine experiences a gasoline-induced failure. Then you can take the $2000 you saved buying cheap gas & use it as downpayment for your next car.

The thought is that the benefits of the Top Tier gasoline (cleaner injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers) allow your car to run more efficiently, which will lead to improved/maintained fuel economy, saving you at least that $2,000 in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. Or that is my thought, anyway.

I believe that any extra cost for Top Tier fuel will pay for itself in lower maintenance costs over time.

In the long run, maintenance (through better fuel) never costs you!

I am getting it from the gas stations close to my house? and asking for a suggestion, not for people like you to troll in my thread

This is what I'd do. Take the one that's got the most convenient hours for you and has the best incentives. For me, that's Petro-Canada, with Esso a close second, among our Top Tier retailers. Shell, unfortunately, is barely on my radar because I'm not terribly interested in Air Miles. If they came up with a sensible rebate program, particularly one that could be used at the SOPUS lubricant distributor, I'd be there in two seconds flat.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
For Hyde244: Do you have a comparison of CA detergent requirements and Top Tier? My understanding was that CA has higher requirements than EPA but not as high as Top Tier. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

CA standards are stricter than Top Tier standards in an emissions sense. While Top Tier gasoline emphasizes increase detergents, CA Standards focus on having fewer contaminates in the fuel.

Or as quoted:

Quote:
CARB gasoline is a type of reformulated gasoline designed to reduce emissions. It reduces the emissions of NOx and volatile organic compounds, has lower benzene and sulfur levels, and limits the amounts of aromatic and olefinic compounds in the blends. It is required throughout the state of California.

At present, there is on average 30 ppm of sulfur in U.S. gasoline (http://www.epa.gov/oms/standards/fuels/gas-sulfur.htm). CA gasoline has only 10 ppm. California also has reduced levels of benzene, T50, T90, Olefins, and RVP compared to US EPA and Top Tier standards. All of these contaminants and emission by-products are believed to contribute to build-up and "gunk" inside the engine.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/gasoline.htm

CA standards have a cleaner burning fuel, with fewer emissions and less deposits. I would venture a guess that the reduced amount of contaminates in CA gasoline is comparable to the increased amount of doubling/tripling fuel detergent levels in Top Tier gasoline.

6 pages of "where should I buy my gas" - isn't there an app for that? Oh yeah and we have a thread on that too.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: milkboy
Down to Shell @ 3.29 and Exxon @ 3.29

Both at 3.29 The question comes down to the two that are "TOP TIER GAS"

Exxon or Hess for the same price.

which gas would you make your permanent fuel, and never switch from... both 3.29
So who wins here. Exxon or Shell?

You have repeated this several times. Where are you getting this from ?

You specifically stated, several times, that you believe it is detrimental to switch between different brands of gasoline.

I have never heard that before. Asking why you believe that isn't trolling IMO.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The thought is that the benefits of the Top Tier gasoline (cleaner injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers) allow your car to run more efficiently, which will lead to improved/maintained fuel economy, saving you at least that $2,000 in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. Or that is my thought, anyway.

This miracle gasoline would have to increase your car from 25mpg to 27mpg to make-up that $2000 Exxon or Citgo premium cost. I doubt that will happen, so I'll just keep using the US GAS at 20 cents cheaper.

As stated we're in the wrong forum, but since we're in this deep I might as well jump in. In my area there is very little in the way of top tier availability. Our largest volume gas station is a Hess that stays busy all the time. There is also a Murphy USA that is usually 5-8 cents higher than the Hess. The most available "name brand" is Citgo, but I was never all that fired up (pardon the pun) by Citgo gasoline.

Then I saw this today.

Citgo Triclean

Wonder if Citgo is trying to step up their game, or if this is just marketing?

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

This miracle gasoline would have to increase your car from 25mpg to 27mpg to make-up that $2000 Exxon or Citgo premium cost. I doubt that will happen, so I'll just keep using the US GAS at 20 cents cheaper.

At $4.00 per gallon, the 16.7¢ price difference used in your $2,000 cost difference calculation is a 4.2% difference, which is about 1 mpg and doesn't seem too outlandish when you consider the deposit control requirements of TT vs EPA when compounded over hundreds of thousands of miles. The EPA is out for cleaner burning gas, not more efficiently running engines. I guess you could use an $8 fuel system cleaner every 5,000 miles and only spend $480 instead of $2,000.

That's a moot point anyway when the OP's options are TT and non-TT fuels at the same or very nearly the same prices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back