Which Mobil 1 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Acura Legend, I am thinking about running Mobil 0-30 at the next oil change. The car has 112k miles and has M1 10-30 in it now. I have had advice that the lower the viscosity the better for economy and engine wear. I live in Hawaii and the weather averages about 75 deg all year round.
The engine is in good shape and oil consumption is minimal. Is this a good idea to change to the 0-30 or continue with the 10-30? What are the advantages of using a 0 viscosity oil?

MOBIL1 0w-40.
better HTHS, thicker too and your engine has soem miles on it those bearing likely need thicker oil.

Also, you dont give up any cold start protection w/ the 0w-40.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 91boz:
1991 Acura Legend, I am thinking about running Mobil 0-30 at the next oil change. The car has 112k miles and has M1 10-30 in it now. I have had advice that the lower the viscosity the better for economy and engine wear. I live in Hawaii and the weather averages about 75 deg all year round.
The engine is in good shape and oil consumption is minimal. Is this a good idea to change to the 0-30 or continue with the 10-30? What are the advantages of using a 0 viscosity oil?

welcome.gif
(we should have da kine sign dat say Aloha brah)

Just remember, at operating temps, both are 30 wts...now the 0W30 might happen to be blended as a "thinner 30 wt" than the 10W30 (you can check this at the Mobil website) but they are both 30 wts; in Hawaii, I would stick with the 10W30 and get the smaller viscosity spread of that oil.

I have had advice that the lower the viscosity the better for economy and engine wear. I live in Hawaii and the weather averages about 75 deg all year round.

Cold in Hawaii?

In 70degree + a 10W30 is an excellent choice. M1 will get to where it needs to go just fine at the temperature.

I do not understand your temp v. viscosity v. wear reasoning. Keep running the 10W30 in Hawaii for many trouble free miles...and let nature be as hot as she wants m1 will hold up just fine.

IMO 10W30 grades like 'hot" weather.

I think with Hawaii's weather, and your higher mileage, Delvac 1 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 would be the best two choices out of all the Mobil 1's viscosities.

I would suggest either Mobil 1 0W-40 or 10W-30. I prefer the 0W-40 since it is thicker at high temperatures. You can't go wrong either way.

welcome.gif

[ October 09, 2003, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Thanks for all the advice. The concensus is that I should not put in 0-30 and keep using the 10-30 oil. There was a suggestion to use a higher vis 0-40 because of the mid 70 temps in Hawaii. I always thought that the lower the viscosity of the oil the better it is. The thin oil would flow faster on startup and fuel economy would increase slightly. Regardless of temperature isn't the thnner oil better than a thicker oil? Now of course if my engine seals are worn (112k miles)
this could be a problem. One more question is there a primer on the basics of engine oil both synthetic and dyno based that you can recomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back