Which micro fiber cloths do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need anything special to apply wax/sealant. I cut up my Target Vroom microfiber to half palm size and use that. When 1st began applying Armor All Extreme Shield, I just slathered it as light as I could with my hand.

I'm with you, with pure sealant/wax, I do by hand as well, since I put a light coat, but if I had to do a large SUV... I go to the $20 Walmart Turtle Wax Polisher. Back in the day I when I used the Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, I can't believe I did that by hand. Back then I wish I used a machine... but I was a cheap college student. I was still young and energetic.

Last edited:
These are my favorite
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/micr...ks&refType=

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
The Rag Company

Good pricing, lots of Korean towels to choose from, free shipping over $30, sales every 2-3 weeks, and they always throw in a freebie towel of some sort with each order.

I also recommend The Rag Company and their KOREAN microfiber towels.

Drying – Dry Me A River Jr. Waffle Weave Towel

Removing compound, polish, wax - DETAIL MASTER PRO Split Purple-nality, NiteRyder, or the Eagle Edgeless Blue Microfiber Towel.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
That is what I do with mine, too. I run my dryer only on medium and it hasn't seem to shorten their lifespan by much. I used to hang them all, but I found it not to be worth the extra effort.

It depends on your dryer. Some get just as hot on the low settings, for a shorter period of time. That was enough to kill the absorbency of my first two batches.
frown.gif

I found that the no-heat setting dried them just as well, if run long enough.

Originally Posted By: BlackHawk1
Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
The Rag Company

Good pricing, lots of Korean towels to choose from, free shipping over $30, sales every 2-3 weeks, and they always throw in a freebie towel of some sort with each order.

I also recommend The Rag Company and their KOREAN microfiber towels.

Drying – Dry Me A River Jr. Waffle Weave Towel

Removing compound, polish, wax - DETAIL MASTER PRO Split Purple-nality, NiteRyder, or the Eagle Edgeless Blue Microfiber Towel.

Could you describe the differences of the Purple-nality, NiteRyder, and Eagle? First describe the physical differences and then if each excels at a certain aspect of product removal and final wipe down/buff.

The Junkman describes the Eagle as the go-to towel for wax/sealant removal. The Purple-nality and Niteryder seem to have the same specs....are they just different in color?

Besides sealant/wax removal and buffing, on very rare occasions I apply a gloss enhancer spray wax/detailer type product. Will one of these 3 work well/better for this?

Thanks.

I like Uber microfiber towels. They have a dual pile, short on one side and longer on the other which is beneficial depending on the product you're using. Quality is top notch, too.

I use tons of the Costco brand microfiber towels in our flight department. They are the most cost effective brand available. They also hold up well to repeated washing in the industrial washing machine.

Note, if they get grit or dirt in them, it won't all come out during washing. They tend to hold grit quite effectively.

The microfiber towels that have tight "loops" tend to shed grit more effectively.

The Costco towels, do leave some fuzz on windows, if one is not 100% careful. Using them dry on the inside of a window will result in leaving some microfibers behind.

Are these branded Kirkland, Cujet? That's how they are up here, and they are pretty good up here. There are a couple good "window only" ones that are good to use dry inside a window, from a few suppliers.

All micro fiber are polyester. Polyester scratches paint, maybe they are micro scratches but... I only use 100% Cotton, it is not plastic and softer than paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
All micro fiber are polyester. Polyester scratches paint, maybe they are micro scratches but... I only use 100% Cotton, it is not plastic and softer than paint.

I don't believe MF cloths scratch paint...I use them on black paint all the time and if they were scratching, I'd definitely see it on black paint....

I never use terry, not on a cars paint anyway. Just cotton polishing cloths that are similar to what a tee shirt is like.

Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't believe MF cloths scratch paint...I use them on black paint all the time and if they were scratching, I'd definitely see it on black paint....

Use a good eye loupe you will see the scratches. They maybe fine but they are there, and that means clear coat is being abraded off every time you wipe with one. Yeah very very fine amounts.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Use a good eye loupe you will see the scratches. They maybe fine but they are there, and that means clear coat is being abraded off every time you wipe with one. Yeah very very fine amounts. Its not a "believe" thing, it is actual science, micro fiber is like micro sand paper to automotive clear coat.
Read paragraph 2 about micro fiber.
http://classiccars.about.com/od/maintenancetips/ht/paintcare.htm

Note if it wouldn't have timed out my editing I would have deleted the shorter version of this. Why time out the edit? Its nice to be able to correct spelling and grammer.

Last edited:
What do you recommend for drying? I have a couple different waffle weave microfiber towels that were fairly expensive ( I think I got them from Autogeek) and made specifically for drying and I don't think they work very well at all.

See the "Rags" section regarding microfiber and scratching
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

My whole detailing supplies are made from microfiber and I find them to be an excellent towel. I purchased mine from The Rag Company and they provide a quality product at an inexpensive price. Do they scratch, no. I have detailed my car to a level beyond brand new and I can say they do not scratch. There was about 60 hours put into detailing my paint, with my eyeball inches from the surface and a detailing light shining. There is no scratching or micromarring from the towels.

I use Griot's garage and have Micro fiber towels that are over 10 years old and still work perfectly. I little more $$ but I've used cheapies that didn't last 1 year and left fibers all over.

the rag company has some excellent microfiber towels, no linting (which I hate) many are made in Korea and they last a long time if cared for properly. Cotton isn't touching mine or my customers paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back