Which hot dog is the best? Blind taste test

1657977311187.jpg
This is a real nice hot dog. :ROFLMAO:

I actually like the OM Angus, as a kid I loved ballpark, but they don’t do anything for me anymore. Guess I’ll give Nathan’s a go.

I am in agreement about Hebrew National and Nathan's being 1 and 2, but it's darned close. I'd have to overwhelmingly disagree with Oscar Meyer being number 3. Theirs wouldn't even make the list for me. Heck, Ball Park would be well above OM. I haven't tried the others.

And I don't have an East Coast pallet. Midwest corn-fed through and through.
Think the way the list is posted it may not easily show # 1,2, and 3.

Here is #1,2, and 3
Hebrew National
Nathans #3
Oscar Meyer
Boars Head
Shalens #2
Sabarett #1

Ball Park

I did some research and caught this small paragraph on Wiki.

“Nathan's hotdogs are primarily manufactured by Smithfield Foods,[15] a subsidiary of China's WH Group.”

Another example of how a brand name has little meaning anymore.
Time to take Nathan's off my preferred hot dog list. Thanks for posting this.

Time to take Nathan's off my preferred hot dog list. Thanks for posting this.

It’s sad. I’ve seen so many favorite brands getting bought up by the bigger corporate entities. The result is usually not good.

Additional: I bought some new prescription eyeglasses a week ago and in talking with the optician I confirmed what I had known for a while. All those brands of frames pretty much come from one company. Luxottica. In fact they also own Pearle Vision and LensCrafters. I had some Oakley glasses that were made before Luxottica bought them out.

And here we gripe about oil filters and brands of oil.

IF you want to dig deep enough you can find reason(s) not to buy from many corporations. Politics, personnel policies, contributions you may not agree with, ownership, etc.-you name it.

It's too much work for the average person or for myself. You can boycott-but once a corporation gets big enough they pretty much do what they want-and your boycott won't make a difference to them. Witness "The Mouse"........

If you are lucky you have a butcher or meat store nearby that makes their own sausages. There are some types of sausages that do not contain any curing agent. An example would be a real Weisswurst and its skinless variant, the Wollwurst. By the way, you must skin a Weisswurst before eating it because the casing is too tough to be consumed - unless you enjoy chomping down on tough intestinal skin, of course.

I will happily eat any type of hot dog. My normal go to are the Hebrew Nationals, but if I'm buying for a crowd I'll get whatever the store is selling BOGO 😁

The Kirkland brand dogs are excellent, tried them out after seeing them score first in a blind test. The only "problem" is the same one you always have at Costco, gotta buy 3 lbs or whatever's worth.

Perhaps this gets us into the political or religious area, but I will die on the hill of only dill relish, never sweet, on a hot dog.

Also if you haven't tried the spiral cut method for grilling dogs, definitely give it a shot. Fun party trick.

If you're ever in the Allentown PA, Lehigh Valley region, stop off at a Yocco's, a small local hot dog chain. Cannot go wrong with a Yocco's chili cheese dog.

jeff

you now that "uncured" and "without added Nitrites or Nitrates" is almost always a bit of a scam, and always has an asterisk (*) after it....
* except those found naturally in celery juice.

The only reason they put celery juice in those meat products, is because it's high in naturally occurring nitrates/nitrites.
those Natural Nitrites/Nitrates break down in your system identically to the artificial ones, and cause the same health issues.
Probably correct - plus, the celery juice is likely extracted from vegetables sprayed with pesticides and who knows how much of that residue is still there.

Probably correct - plus, the celery juice is likely extracted from vegetables sprayed with pesticides and who knows how much of that residue is still there.
We're all gonna die!!! :p

I just read this interesting article on the subject of celery juice in preserved meats.

A little trivia:

Until a few years ago Hormel made all-beef franks for restaurants. The hot dog stands and restaurants that used them did not want to substitute. A guy in southeastern Virginia was supposed to be making hot dogs as much like Hormel's as he could after the company discontinued its, but I don't know the outcome.

The Hormel franks were the best. Dairy Queen used to use them years ago.

Zweigles, usinger or ones from the butcher shop in town. The other ones tend to bother my stomach. I figure that's a note to avoid the ones that big me..

some processed foods taste good but are surely NOT healthy!! whatever you do dont read the ingredients label!! i searched the Hoffman brand noted + its garbage for sure!! give me a decent steak any day, grass fed + finished as well as organic if possible!

A little trivia:

Until a few years ago Hormel made all-beef franks for restaurants. The hot dog stands and restaurants that used them did not want to substitute. A guy in southeastern Virginia was supposed to be making hot dogs as much like Hormel's as he could after the company discontinued its, but I don't know the outcome.

The Hormel franks were the best. Dairy Queen used to use them years ago.
The Hormel hot dog replacement is still available but is now referred to as the "Norfolk Dog".

NORFOLK DOG

some processed foods taste good but are surely NOT healthy!! whatever you do dont read the ingredients label!! i searched the Hoffman brand noted + its garbage for sure!! give me a decent steak any day, grass fed + finished as well as organic if possible!
Why a grass fed steak? At least finish them on barley or corn hopefully?

But then again, I live in Iowa and know how beef should taste.

Not some marketing games from the advertisers. ;)

Back