Which hot dog is the best? Blind taste test

@GON , check out the Fred Meyers or Safeway for these.

Hills Meats Frankfurters. Made in Pendleton Oregon. Traditional casing. Excellent flavor.

Their other products are also excellent.

PT, can't wait to try those dogs and the like. Tha ks for the recommendation!

Great price, likely a great dog- but COSTCO dogs are jumbo dogs, I prefer the skinny dogs. Good thing COSTCO dogs are jumbo, because at $1.50 with a soft drink; if their dogs were skinny, I would be buying COSTCO dogs on a regular basis.
I'm like you GON, not a fan of those Jumbo, fat hot dogs. I like them skinny, just like my women! ;)

PT, can't wait to try those dogs and the like. Tha ks for the recommendation!

I hope you like them. We buy their bacon ends and pieces to put in homemade split pea soup instead of ham. 🤤. Their regular bacon is great as well.

Reactions: GON
I find hebrew national too salty. I actually really like the oscar mayer organic or whatever they are called.

Nathans are good.
Berks Hostess (long time regional brand) all beef or Back Angus beef are great. Their other dogs are better than most national brands.
Hebrew National are Ok, I think, but not my favorite.
Martin's (another local brand that does mostly hams) cheese dogs
Just had Dietz and Watson for the first time. Substandard, I thought and nearly tasteless. The ones I had were uncured beef and pork.

Vienna and it's not even a question. Klement's are pretty decent too. My local WM has Nathan's to go and those aren't bad.

I get the uncured beef or turkey without nitrites or nitrates, I think it's Oscar Meyer at the local grocery store. Never paid attention to the brand.

These are the best I've ever had.

Those are excellent. Got to try them years ago on a trip to Rochester. Hoffman are excellent also.

My favorite is Glazier brand hot dogs. https://glazierhotdog.com/

My dad has wore me out on hotdogs lol. I’ve never been huge on them anyway. I won’t eat anything beef for a hot dog. I love beef just not in hotdogs. And I hate them grilled. I’m a boiled type of guy. My favorite is the Oscar Meyer cheese dogs. Favorite regular hotdogs is Oscar Meyer and Jesse Jones. Jesse Jones also has really good chili too.

My dad has wore me out on hotdogs lol. I’ve never been huge on them anyway. I won’t eat anything beef for a hot dog. I love beef just not in hotdogs. And I hate them grilled. I’m a boiled type of guy. My favorite is the Oscar Meyer cheese dogs. Favorite regular hotdogs is Oscar Meyer and Jesse Jones. Jesse Jones also has really good chili too.

Since you are old fashioned you must prefer the snap of a real casing.

I get the uncured beef or turkey without nitrites or nitrates, I think it's Oscar Meyer at the local grocery store. Never paid attention to the brand.
you now that "uncured" and "without added Nitrites or Nitrates" is almost always a bit of a scam, and always has an asterisk (*) after it....
* except those found naturally in celery juice.

The only reason they put celery juice in those meat products, is because it's high in naturally occurring nitrates/nitrites.
those Natural Nitrites/Nitrates break down in your system identically to the artificial ones, and cause the same health issues.

Really enjoyed this video as I love hot dogs. The guy in the video looks and sounds like Bill Orielly.

Hebrew National
Nathans #3
Oscar Meyer
Boars Head
Sailance #2
Sabarett #1
Ball Park

For the record- my favorite is Nathan's. I am not a fan of Hebrew National dogs, and surprised Boars Head did not rank in the top three (I have never tried a Boars Head dog). This test appears to be east coast heavy, I know other dogs like Vienna and Usingers are considered darn good dogs.

I am in agreement about Hebrew National and Nathan's being 1 and 2, but it's darned close. I'd have to overwhelmingly disagree with Oscar Meyer being number 3. Theirs wouldn't even make the list for me. Heck, Ball Park would be well above OM. I haven't tried the others.

And I don't have an East Coast pallet. Midwest corn-fed through and through.

Back