Which dino keeps engines the quietest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get the following in a 10W-30:

Pennzoil
Castrol
Havoline
Chevron Supreme

Which one keeps the engines the quietest?

No Bias here! With five "different" vehicles in my driveway and street-front, I know the sounds of my engines pretty darn good. To me, Pennzoil gets the "quiet nod" with a dozen different dino oils I've tried in the last 4-5 years.

My basement has just as much Havoline & Castrol in it as it does Pennzoil right now too!

We no longer get Chevron around Detroit at any major auto part store -- only at one or two specialty houses that charge alot more.

It really doesn't matter since Chevron is almost identical (slightly weaker add-pack) than Havoline.

Castrol GTX is the only clear choice here. Try it out and hear for yourself the difference.

I forgot to mention the syn-blends and synthetic preferences I have for quietness in my last post.

With syn-blends, I think Valvoline Durablend keeps my engines quiet. With major brand synthetics, I give the nod to Castrol GC right now. I have never purchased the more expensive (or) online purchased oils like Schaefers, Red Line, Amsoil, Motul, Synergy ... etc. I cannot comment on their pros & cons.

I haven't tried every single oil, but my decrepit work van is noticeably quiter with Max Life 10w-30 although Havoline is quiet too, it just doesn't last as long (the quiet I mean).

quote:

placebo effect...

Yes, then add to that the different deficiencies different people have in their hearing frequency spectrum.

The end result, you'd be better off asking people which is the prettiest color.

Would depend whats making the noise and the temperature of the engine-beyond that its all in the head...how can an oil make a change in noise?The exception would be a very
"thin" hot oil could cause weak hydralic lifters to click a little (when hot).On some cars the fuel injectors click when hot also.Not an oil related thing.

In my opinion you have to find the oil that best suits your engine. One oil will do a better job of quieting engine "A" than engine "B". And, vice versa, another oil will quiet engine "B" better than engine "A". Ya gotta search and test for the best for your application.

Likewise, one oil will reduce consumption better in engine "C" than in engine "D". And, vice versa, another oil will do a better job of reducing consumption in engine "D" than in engine "C". Ya gotta search and test for the best for your application.

FWIW . . . in my opinion . . .
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back