which conventionals are currently top notch

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are mobil supers noak and vwb as well in know hardly anything about noak.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Since you're about to start working at a Ford dealership, buy Motorcraft oil and filters over the counter at employee discount price!

This. You have both components at work. Why would you even think of going elsewhere?

I
Originally Posted By: Tabor
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have decided to stick to conventional at 5,000 miles in the 2014 focus.

The owner's manual is a little ambiguous, but prefers that you use a motor oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C945–A. You can use whatever you want but Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is ~$18 for 5qt at WalMart and is a well regarded oil on BITOG. The Motorcraft FL-910S is ~$4 at either Amazon or Walmart.

I have 10,500 miles on mine. Enjoy the car!

I believe using an oil meeting WSS-M2C945-A is a requirement, not a preference. But the good news is that virtually any SN-rated oil meets this standard, including PYB.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I just bought a 2014 Focus and used PYB for my first OCI at 1900 miles. I cut open the factory filter and it looked good.

If I was sticking with conventional oil it would probably be PYB or QSAD because of their low NOACK numbers which seems important in a DI engine.

I'll probably go to synthetic after a few dino OCIs mainly because it's a PITA to take the shield off the undercarriage for an oil change. I'd extend the OCI on synthetic to 7 or 8K (or more) depending on UOA info.

PS: I searched for UOAs on this DI engine but couldn't find any.....has anybody seen any?

There are a bunch of UOAs on the current generation Focus - look through enough pages and you'll find them.

And I wouldn't put too much faith in the PYB and QSAD Noack numbers published by PQIA. These are absurdly low for entry-level oils and lower than SOPUS's top-rated synthetics. SOPUS recently pulled all Noack references in TDS documents so we don't know for sure, but logic seems to dictate PYB and QSAD would be slightly below the 15% Noack maximum, just like all of their conventional oil competitors, and just like they were before the Noack numbers were pulled.

The PQIA samples were bought at the time SOPUS was reformulating their Pennzoil synthetic line to be all GTL base stocks. Speculation is that some of the "old" GTL stock was used in conventional products to make room for the new stuff, thus explaining the Noack results.

Pretty much all the oils at their respective pricing points are so close to being equal. More or less.

Many people speculate SOPUS used up an excess of their synthetic GTL base stock by dumping it in their conventional oils and thus the very low NOACK's.

I used to buy motorcraft until the price skyrocketed and in the back of my mind i always thought i was not sure who made it i know its conoco/phillips but if it changes tomorrow who knows

Originally Posted By: Danh
I believe using an oil meeting WSS-M2C945-A is a requirement, not a preference. But the good news is that virtually any SN-rated oil meets this standard, including PYB.

The manual that I linked to states "[y]our engine has been designed to use Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that meet Ford specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines" on page 292.

Originally Posted By: Tabor
Originally Posted By: Danh

The manual that I linked to states "[y]our engine has been designed to use Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that meet Ford specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines" on page 292.

Interesting. The 2012 manual that came with my Focus says: "To protect your engine and engine's (sic) warranty, use Motorcraft 5w/20 or an equivalent 5w/20 meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A.".

Inasmuch as this specification essentially is "SN", maybe Ford decided to make it simpler for owners.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Chevron is the best conventional.

I thought you endorsed Super Tech oil??

I'm thinking mobil super 5000 or vwb or Castrol between those three which would you go with? Anyone have any pictures of their engines running obe of the three?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back